Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

String Gauge?

Options
  • 09-08-2002 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Ok so my current strings are manky and are starting to not tune this is from not wiping them after mauling them with my sweaty/grubby hands and they've been on the guitar for about a year and a bit now .. well most of them.

Anyway i'm using
    9's Light Gauge Silver Round Wound Strings
    e-1st- .009
    B-2nd- .012
    G-3rd- .016
    D-4th- .022
    A-5th- .032
    E-6th- .042

(No i don't need some1 to change my strings u bastards!)

I was wondering is their any perticular gauge worth using for rock/metal guitar, or what are you using and why?

Plus wtf does it mean anyway?
    Any help on this is welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I personally use gauge .11 earnie ball strings (Power Slinky.)

And it simply means the size and heaviness of the strings

ie. 0.11 milimeters in width.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

So would the thicker ones give a 'fuller' sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I use 10's. I used to use 11's but they broke from over bending.
    9's are too girly for me.

[EDIT] .11 of a mm, no!!!! .011 on an inch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh and a thicker gauge gives a slighty more brighter sound. And they give a "tighter" sound when distorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Whoops! Thanks for that correction, Gibs. My bad!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

I did use d'addario's 10's on my previous guitars eg. Aria pro2.
    But now I use Fender super 250's 10's on my Telecaster purely because I can get some pretty sweet tones from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

anyone have any helpfull views on violin strings, i use royal oak synthetics for my a,d and g and a larsen golden e, i like the sound of the synthetics but they do sound a bit plasticcy up in higher positions and the e string is so much better then the steel ones i used to have, anyways just wondering what other people use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kylereese

well if ur playin metal i'd go 4 heavier strings like 11's cos well a lot of metal tunes down a half step or a whole step to d so you don't want 2 b playin elastic bands!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I use 9's.

I find them easier to play.

Also I hate the sound of brand new strings and they will generally dull quicker.

Jaicster you should change your strings more often. Try a different gauges you'll find what you like best that way, they only cost a couple of euro's a pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

I use 9s cos they are easy to bend and i can get a lower action. I'm thinking of using 10s though cos they give a slightly better sound. If you change from 9s to 11s or higher cos you'll find them trickier to play, you'll probably have to set up the guitar again, it could give you problems with buzz and so on. But it might be worth it if you play heavy stuff and want that sound.

• Advertisement
Advertisement