Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting this board

Options
  • 08-08-2002 10:33pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Are there any websites who we can talk to about promoting this board?

I'm sure there are tons of people who'd like this place if they only knew about it.

hmmmm

post suggestions of online sites relating to x sports?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

There are a few Dev,

But I'd work on the sticky content and links and format a bit more before promoting it. If people glance over and see a relatively quiet, loosely organised general board for extreme sports, they may not bother.

At a guess most people have their sport and favourite fan site already - need to think where this board will fit in to all that.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the only real way is to offer this board as a forum for the irish xsports sites out there, official and fan sites alike

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thats what I would have thought alright Jayk.

Bomb, thats what I'm suggesting, that we make those sites aware of this board and try and centralise discussion here (I couldnt find much discussion out there). Centralising things often means more gets achieved as like-minds are exposed to each other.

DeV.

tbh most people involved in xsports would rather be out there doing them them sitting in front of a monitor.
    most of the ones you can do in Ireland anyway Esp.skateboarding, inline skating ettc.

www.skateboard.com has a forum i think and a fair few europeans go there so maybe thats a place to plug boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, you could get some help from the artistic people that wander the boards (tread the boards if you will). Get someone to make a cool sticker saying "Boards.ie" kinda thing and people could stick it on their "Board" or surfboard, whenever I see skateboards they have loads of cool stickers on their boards. It would be a cool promo if you linked boards with boards.ie. I'm sure there would be someone in the community that could print them up for cheap.

In fact cool stickers could be another means of advertising for boards in general. If it was a really cool sticker people would slap it on their board for sure.

• Advertisement

that would be a great idea actually, stickers are huge in the skating community.
    they would have to be PVC stickers though, no paper ones.

Bomb

Originally posted by bombidol
    tbh most people involved in xsports would rather be out there doing them them sitting in front of a monitor.

True true, but jobs and poor weather conditions get in the way :)
    This past weekend was another example when i would have rather been at home by a computer than sitting in a car on a beach waiting for wind. Saturday morning early was windy, I got out early afternoon after training and it was awful. Sunday morning I slept in, I checked in the afternoon and it was no good, but by late evening it was great ... and i was at home :confused:

I think Gordon's idea is a pretty good one - a revamp of the looks on the page and a little promotion would go a long way. And some sort of logo made up of a few different boards from different disciplines might be nice - Skateboard, Surfboard, Wakeboard?

I mean you have the name going for you already - boards.ie is the perfect catch all for an extreme board sport community eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

excellent idea's all around, I can get a friend of mine to get those stickers printed and more than likely do the design for them, or just give you some to choose from.

In fact if it is very good, you can sell the stickers to skate shops etc for a reasonable price and kids will buy them from 1/2 euro's as far up to 5 from what I've seen with skateboarding anyway.

Been lazing about slowly gettin back into the swing of things, I'll get crackin on the links/stickys etc tomorrow.

Off topic .. but how was the holiday? :)

Any kiting?

I had a great holiday Jak. I didn't get into the water with my Kite but I did get a go of it on the beach and by god, I scared the $hit out of myself! I was gently learning how to keep it in a neutral position above me and control it from there. My Uncle was there with another corsican bloke (incredible skills) and none other than European Kitesurfing Champ (forget his name :o
    After I had been getting it going from left to right he told me to pull it this way and all of a sudden I found myself and him holding on for dear life, all the while the two of us got pulled 10/15metres through the sand as if we were in a tug of war against a Giant who could pull us like midgets!
    He grumbled a bit, reminded me we could end up in the parking lot if I wasn't careful so I stood back and said "Right that's enough for now, I'll leave it be and when I have more time and someone else can be there I'll train myself on the beach with it for quite some time before I even contemplate going on the water with a board and THAT THING!"
    Needless to say the power of the thing scared me senseless and I just wanted to watch the other two guys (mainly this legend) and soon there was a crowd at the beach (which was previously more or less deserted because they like to do it early evening when people have cleared off at this spot as it's busy during the day)
    It was amazing to watch, the whole crowd was oohing and aaahingg left right and centre. He was loving it and decided to toy with us a bit (all the while further scaring the $hit outta me) by coming as close to the shore as possible, jumping up 10ft in the air and landing on the beach beside us after kicking his board into the water!
    I'll have more time to get the hang of it next summer and have access to the equipment with friends from the sailing school so I can't wait :D

Went Spearfishing, caught a 1.4Kilo Sea Bass and 2 Black Mullet weighing 3.5 Kilo's altogether, they were bbq'd on our campsite where we had 12 tents pitched and we usually got up in the morning, went fishing/swimming/shopping. Came home at about 15:00 had a wee bit of sleep, then a 2nd breakfast then got pissed for the night again. Managed to soak up a wee bit of sun and I feel completely refreshed, viva le holidays :cool:

back on topic
    > I'll get in touch with my mate about getting stickers done up, costs and I'll show you some of the design idea's.

I'll go digging for some more links and forums and I'll point as many people this way as I can along the way.

• Advertisement

Excellent :) Holiday sounds like a good one. And you would be suprised how quick the learning curve is on the kites. When I bought my 3m trainer we just went to the beach on a wet and windy day - no pleasure walkers - we got dragged all over the shop but learnt a fair bit =)

Dry cleaning was considerable ...

I know it is the most useless piece of advice for any extreme sport - but it is just a feel you get for it and pretty soon you will never ditch the kite .. then take to water.

Spear Fishing sounds class - that Free Diving or geared up?

As for stickers and logos and the whole topic thing in general - sounds great.

The spear fishing is free diving. Although I have found myself hunting huge fish in less than 3 ft of water in what I like to call rock alleys :)

I enjoy practising my free diving itself too, or just going for a snorkel around an area to get a feel for it :)

I usually end up on the seabed or under seaweed, lying flat or crouching, camouflaged and awaiting innocent prey that may get too curious as to what the hell I'm doing in someone elses favourite restaurant where they eat for free everyday :D

Haven't gone much deeper than around the 20metres for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

The sticker thing is a good idea, but consider the situation:

(Little grommet scanger kid ets home with new shiny sticker)
    Ah! schew!!Boards!!!Schuttah!,etc.
    (logs on)
    Wha' da fook? Da fook is dis?! Oi want sakytboards!!! Da' fook is dis?!,etc.

Advertisement