Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need a medicl site

• 06-08-2002 3:56pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

Hi, now I am posting this in all seriousness...trying to help out a friend who does'nt want to go to the doctor...
    I just got a call from a friend who is telling me that after a bowell movement his anus rips/tears and has a substantial amount of blood. Now, I dont know what to tell him and he wont go to a doctor, I thought perhaps I could suggest a website to find out some info. or if any of you had anything similar happen to you please post and I can atleast let him know that he can take a look here.
    Thanks in advance for any info. you can give

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I have found this to be pretty good.

http://www.irishhealth.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

He should probably go to the doctor but if he won't he should:

1. Increase the amount of fibre in his diet - basically it will soften his faeces and make him less likely to hurt himself and it will give his body a change to heal. Plenty of Wheetabix, etc - avoid eating a lot of meat.

2. Wash himself thoroughly after taking a sh1t. It will help prevent infection.

3. Consider using something like Sudacream to speed up the healing.

If it doesn't clear up in two to three weeks tell him to stop being a pussy and go to the doctor.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I find that http://www.netdoctor.co.uk is excellent.... It recently told me all that I need to know about Athletes Foot (and how to treat it). For something more serious (and it sounds like what your friend has is definitely more serious), then a real doctor is the best bet.

- Dave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

thanks to both of you..I will call him up and give him that info...
    I should have thought of that, the fiber in the diet...
    still, it must be painful to rip there.../me shudders at the thought

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

What was your 'friend' up to eh ?

Seriously, go to a doctor, don't be embarrased about it either. It's not worth sacrificing your health for the sake of pride. I have hidden injuries before mostly in sports because of the expectations others had of me and also I ran the risk of being dropped if the coach found out, so I tortured myself and finished the season with medals, unfortunatley, It ruined my lower shins and my sports career was effectivley ended at the age of 23. If I could change one thing in my life, I would go back and take the time to recover, I would still be competing now. Pride is a hard thing to swallow.

Don't be a fool, get it sorted out now. Medical websites mean nothing, they are fuel for hypochondria, even if the symptoms point to something, you run a great risk of misdiagnosing and waiting for things to get worse. And in the area he's talking about it's very easy for things to get worse, infections can spread in that area pretty quickly.

BEST ADVICE YOU WILL GET ON THIS BOARD, GO TO THE DOCTOR NOW AND DON'T BE STUPID. Without meaning to sound melodramatic, many a small thing has been turned into a serious or fatal complaint by waiting too long. My friends dad had stomach trouble and anal bleeding for 2 years, and was too embarrased to tell anyone. It was cancer I went to his funeral 2 months ago. I'm not suggesting it's the big C, sounds like something was put where it wasn't supposed to go and is being aggravated by not having enough time to heal, no big deal, but painful I'd imagine and the risk of infection is potentially high, now that might get serious. Go to the doc, he won't judge you, he'll just fix you.

• Advertisement

quigs,
    well thanks for your concern and all that, but seriously, it is actually my friend, and no there wasnt anything put in any area that wasnt suppose to be...it's the actual bowell movement that is causing the ripping in that area.
    I am assuming from a previous post that he isnt getting enough fiber in his diet so his stool is becoming too hard to pass...
    I am going to refer him to my doctor and see if he will atleast go to a different doctor...but the websites are a help.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Check out info on Ulcerative Cllitis (most likely) or Chrones disease!

I have Colitis and the symptoms started out the same.. then progresssed until all bowle moions were simply blood, uncontrollable and happened 20 times or more a day.. ended up spending over 3 weeks in hospital and lost a stone in weight.. not a happy bunny back then... so i got treatment and have been fairly ok since... im on long term medication to try and stay in remission (chronic so always will be with me now).

So best advice is go to the Doctor... and eh get VHI/Bupa first... could be expensive if he has to go to hospital..

Could also be something a lot less serious so just tell your m8 to go see a doctor.. i went to see a female doctor (not my usual) as she was closer to me at the time... for the next few weeks it was the odd blood test and i was waiting for an outpatients visit to Beaumount and then boom i had to be taken to hospital and admitted... 3 weeks later i was still there... i cant stress the fact he should go see the doctor enough!!!

ya, that does help...thanks unregi...my friend feels better after having read that, he is going to go ahead and call the doc to find out if he needs to go in or not.
    thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Sticky: Charter and Useful Links (*READ ME FIRST*)
    There's lots of links there.

Ulcerative Colitis is an incredibly painful problem, my mum has it and gets a huge amount of incredibly rare complications with it, including a type of skin gangrene :( (ick)

But it sounds like your friend is suffering from an anal fissure:
    http://www.apria.com/resources/ap_res_adv_show/0,1278,108-198-A-32,00.htm
    What is an anal fissure?

An anal fissure is a small cut in the skin of the anus. The anus is the opening through which bowel movements pass. Anal fissures are a fairly common disorder and occur more often in women.

[...]

Treatment at home

Eliminate the hard, dry stools that cause tearing of the anus by:
    * following the doctor's instructions for taking stool-softening medications
    * drinking plenty of water (up to eight 8-ounce glasses a day)
    * adding more fiber to your diet with psyllium (a naturally mild laxative), whole-grain foods, and raw fruits and vegetables.
    Soak in a warm bath to relieve painful spasms.

That site has info and stuff on it.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Mirago Health - The UK medical search engine http://www.medisearch.co.uk/
    is one of the better ones I use it on a regular basis for work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Sauruman, trouble with VHI/BUPA is that I don't think you're covered for hospital treatment for your first 6 months, unless of course it's a real emergency. Which something like you could well be I suppose. Lots of small print with those guys I have learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Depends... sometimes there are special offers of no wait time.. Bupa did that a few years back and my parents took advantage of that.. also usually work schemes there is no wait on.. at least there was none for me when i joined over 4 years ago!

BTW no one suggested VHI's medical website... so try www.vhihealthe.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

his anus rips/tears and has a substantial amount of blood.

I knew a guy who had that problem, his wife joked about it.
    He's dead now.

Make sure he goes to a doctor.
    He may just be wiping too hard.

Advertisement