Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Komplett Athlon XP 1900+ Package problem

Options
  • 03-08-2002 12:03pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently purchased the 1900+ package from komplett, I got everything and it all looked right. I setup the computer and it worked first time. I am not much of a BIOS person and don't know all the nitty gritty little settings I should change. One thing boggles me though, it say's the chip is a 1,200 Mhz, surely this should be 1,600 Mhz ? Is it possible Komplett sent me the wrong chip or am I using the wrong multiplier ? I thought it would be defaulted to 1,600 Mhz ? In Fuzzylogic the system is running at 50 degrees, is that too hot ?

Crap I dunno,

Slaan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Whats then mobo??
    I know of a few mobos reporting the wrong speed of the 1900 and needing a bios upgrade to fix it (ECS are notorious for it)

Should be ok after you do that.

For the Temp did you apply the thermal paste you got with it ?? takes about 10 Degrees of running speed.

And 50 is ok but thats an opinion not a fact.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

You cannot change the multipyer (its locked) but what your doing wrong is the fact that the fsb is set to 100mhz instead of 133mhz

This should be in bios(press delete on startup when it says) -> frezquency -> and then look for fsb setting and this will be set at 100 change it to 133

(or if you want to overclock set it to 140 (or more depending on how confident you are (look up readme's on the net before you do this so you know all eventualites))

about the running speed 50 is grand when it gets to 72+ you should start worrying, btw make sure your heatsink is seated right , re-seat if neccesary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

u need to change the fsb in bios from 100 to 133 then the cpu will run at 1.6 ghz
    50 degrees is very hot considering the cpu is underclocked atm
    u should try to find out why its so hot before increasing the fsb

[edit] damn u jack u got there first :D[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

50 is a little hot,not to worry athlons run hotter than the pentiums, all that about Mhz, thats their ref. if you right click "my computer/properties" on the 1st page of your system properties it should have your cpu name. amd name their cpu's after the pentium they out perform, like my 1700xp only go's around 1450, so i'd say your's should run around 1650, but you'll have to turn up your "CPU FSB clock" in your bios , it should be at 100 mhz turn it to 133 mhz, any higher you run the risk of overclocking/burnning your cpu
    Fuzzylogic sucks go get "SiSoft SANDRA" it's much better,
    Oo btw, did you get a msi mobo? if so don't use the ram monitor with win XP, it will slow down your ram and over work your cpu, it's works great on win98, maybe they fixed the bugs, but i don't think so

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

thanks for the replys guy's I will give those suggestions a shot when I recover from this damned hangover. I got a coolermaster fan with it and it already had grease/paste applied to the bottom and I think I seated it properly. I got the MSI Mobo aswell, sweet little motherboard, so many nifty gizmos on it. USB 2.0 aswell.

Slaan.

• Advertisement

I am not much of a BIOS person
    lol MSI will make you one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yo slaan, make sure you only have a thin layer of thermal grease on that.

preytec, what do you mean? Only MSI motherboards need you to mess with bios settings? What is this, some sort of ill-informed generalisation?

Right lads,

I set the FSB to 133 but the computer won't boot so I had to reset the CMOS, there is something suspect about this.

Slaan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Is your ram 133????

etc does it all match up.

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

kdja he said he got the package from Komplett so im assuming he got DDR ram with that. I could be wrong but any of the packages i saw included a HSF and mem (ddr).

Its probably the MSI board too... i doubt he went for that nforce crap...

A friend of mine got the same package but with the 1800 and he did not report any problems other than a dead ps/2 port (which he does not mind since he has a usb converter) and a problem where all hard drives were not seen (after working for a few days fine) but both cd drives seen fine... the hard drives worked in other systems.. clearing cmos fixed that problem!

Oh im not sure about this board but my asus a7v333 i got from Komplett has a jumperless mode (default) so just turn on and thats it... it detects the rest... The board itself has a jumper for everything if you want to have more control... Check the manual to see if yours has something similar!

Oh and as far as i know there was no 1.2ghz Athlon XP so i dont think they sent you the wrong one... so it must be a setting somewhere!

• Advertisement

Only MSI motherboards need you to mess with bios settings?
    ???
    i never said that,
    i think you might have picked it up wrong, i've got 2 msi mobo's and i know just how big the BIOS are, you can tweak anything and eveything, it's easy to messup, but also to get out of, and the fact that he said he's not a BIOS person, give him a few weeks and he will be,
    so stop reading what i DIDN'T post
    now your Probably asking yourself - well why did he say msi before slaan - coz i'm that good and whats more i think it's the KT3 Ultra series too,
    take it outathat
    ill-informed generalisation my eye

Hmm, yes I did pick it up wrong, sorry about that.

You are good ok, just about good enough to look at the 1900+ package on komplett and see that it says on the page that it comes with a msi kt3 ultra motherboard. Top marks sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

My Athlon XP 1600+ runs anywhere from 30*C to 50*C under a heavy load. Im only running one fan (Coolermaster) on the CPU and no chassie fan (for the moment).

I had some problems with my bios at the start. I canged the wrong setting :o:o . All i ad to do to fix that was stich a jumper, start her up then turn off and put the jumper back. I decided not to go for the kit from komplett..... insted i chose all my own stuff and it worked out cheaper :D .. I got me a Abit mobo... didnt think much of the MSI ones and i didnt want onboard sound.
    /me looks for money for sound card

well no, he talked about Fuzzylogic (almost a msi TM)and USB 2.0 (not on msi mobo's till after the pro 2) that both come with the ultra, see? no need to look at komplett 1900+ pack, any other mobo i'd sup and listen, but i did only want to see if i could help, if i had have known how tigh-nit this forum was, i don't think i could of be'n .....

sorry lads but this bickering still ain't solving my problem. As far as I know I have everything setup correctly. The chip just won't get anywhere near 1600Mhz which is what I supposedly got. I got to increase the FSB in fuzzylogic to about 120 before it crashed. I'm running 2000 btw. I also think the CD-ROM drive in the system is ****ing things up a bit but that still doesn't solve my CPU problem. Funny one this,

Slaan.

right, have you tried taking everything out of the machine apart from cpu, ram, gfx card and hard drive?

Check that if there is a pci divider in the cpu setup portion of the bios, it is set on 1/4, there probably isn't a manual setting but just in case.

I can't really think of much else, you can try and put the ram in a different slot, if you haven't already done so. find out in the manual which dimm slot is 1 ( it isn't always the one closest to the cpu ).

Theres no point in being suspicious about the speed of the chip, they are tested at their rated speed.

Are you using a 300w psu with this machine?

I have a 350w enermax PSU. I will go and give all those other things you suggested a go. Surely it shouldn't be this complicated :) Any benchmarks I should do in SiSoft Sandra and bpost them up here ?

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

i got the 2200 and i had to knock up the fsb to 133 here check your pc health and see what temp its running at... i had that prob and teh fan was too slow at 300 rpm and it was too hot so it crashed.. hope that solves it

See Diabolus, if I set the FSB to 133, the computer doesn't boot at all. The fan is running at about 5300 RPM and there is thermal paste on the heatsink, so I dunno. I have her running at 1426 MHz with an FSB of 118. She is running at 51 degrees.

Slaan.

Thats the problem.. its TOOO HOT!!
    it shud be at 41 - 43
    Get a new Heatsink.
    Where you live m8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I'm suprised that is too hot for an AMD! From what I've read on other sites (OCUK, for example), once it approaches 70, you should begin to worry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

Originally posted by Diabolus
    it shud be at 41 - 43
    Get a new Heatsink.
    ive got an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with a Zalman flower cooler attached. cpu idle temp is 46 and when its stressed it can reach temps of 56. thats what happens when you go for the quiet life. :rolleyes: i think ive put too much thermal paste on the cpu. can you remove the paste totally and start again? how do you clean it off?

adnans

it shud be at 41 - 43
    Get a new Heatsink.

Surely the computer would boot with FSB 133Mhz regardless of temperature, and then crash when it get's a chance ? I doubt komplett would create a package that didn't have proper parts to run it's components at default. Does the Spread specturm have anything to do with it ? I'm on .25.

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Originally posted by Diabolus
    it shud be at 41 - 43
    Get a new Heatsink.
    Where you live m8?
    That is sooooo not why slaanesh is having problems with his cpu and the operating temp he was getting is a lot lower than a lot of people are getting with the same cpu.

When overclocking with fuzzylogic up to 120, I suspect it crashes because the system just becomes too unstable because everything is being overclocked (PCI, AGP etc). I've seen the 1900+ boot as a 1200mhz cpu before on an asus a7v333 motherboard even though it was set to run at FSB 133/1600mhz and it turns out there's just some other bios setting the guy forgot to set. So I guess just make sure you've gone through all the bios settings and see if you missed anything.

yeah and since it's most likely just a small motherboard config problem, you can try looking through the forum on the MSI site and see if there's a solution there.

Here i had to do the same as yer man there.
    I bought the parts off Komplett.ie and put it together myself.
    There are a possibility of 3 things.

1. Your Fan is too ****. (i bought mine from komplett.ie and had to buy a new one Cooler Master Cpu Cooler - Hcc-002)
    2. Your Heatsink is on Wrong. You may have too much thermal paste on. you only put a thin layer on the little black chip in the center.
    3. Your mobo or chip doesnt go 133. (Not likely)

sure you got want you wanted? goto your bios and "load BIOS setup defaults" then reboot right click on "my computer" and see what cpu your running

i forgot to say if it is the cpu you wanted, have you updated your BIOS?
    if not install "MSI Live Monitor" and run it you'll have to get the update for that 1st, right click the msi eye in the system tray and do an auto search the current bios is 5.50, flashing your bios is risky, there's no come back if you do it wrong, just make sure you shut down all your programs 1st, ICQ, norton....etc
    plus have a look at the live VGA driver, some nice gcard addon's in that

I think we have established that the problem is not with cooling. These chips will happily run at 60c and above, and they do so in countless oem machines. Hopefully a bios setting will sort this out. Btw turn off spread spectrum, but I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Right lads, here is the story. I put the memory into DIMM slot 1 and moved the heatsink about the place. Booted up and the processor was running at about 38 degrees for a while. Mind you, it is very hot in this room atm. I tried a 133Mhz FSB again but this time I had a bracket installed which tells me problems at bootup. And according to it, it hung on the memory detection test. Could the memory be the bottleneck ? Have I not configured the mem properly. It detects it properly as 266Mhz CL2.5 PC2100 DDR mem.

Slaan.

Interesting thread on the problem http://www.computing.net/cpus/wwwboard/forum/747.html

Not sure if this is my problem though, although it seems similar.

Slaan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement