Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start/Learn Surfing?

Options
  • 01-08-2002 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

where could i learn to and start surfing in dublin, or do the waves all suck and the beaches all polluted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Beaches aren't that bad.

But it is rare to find any decent sets of waves. Personally I don't know of any school operating in the Dublin area for the same reason.

If you have gear already - maybe try Portmarnock or Skerries - I have seen people out in both on big swell days with offshore breezes.

Don't think I have ever seen a surfer out at Dollymount as it tends to be more Kites and Windsurfers - but I suppose there is still a chance. Again though at Dollymount best I have seen is rolling swells further out with a messy shore break - not much use to surfers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You guys don't really get that much swell at all, but there is an East Coast Surf Club ( http://www.eastcoastsurfclub.com ).
    It's definetely worth contacting those guys. I'd say they probably head west all the time. Maybe you could throw a few quid their way for petrol and you could tag along.

Worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

thanks i'll check that out.
    just curious but how did u guys start surfing?
    (if u didnt use the wonderful magic of boards.ie :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

I've only 'tried' surfing to be honest and it was just on weekends away as a few of us have the gear anyhows - so we'd just go out and have a few goes if conditions suited.

But living on the east coast I accepted I'd be better off with Wind sports and diving - nonetheless if Im away on a weekend for any of the above and there were a few waves I'd still go out for the laugh.

I only know of two surfing clubs - college based - on the east coast and they simply went away for lots of weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I got a few lessons down in T-Bay and then got my own gear.
    I'm within driving distance of a fair few good enough breaks so we can get out fairly regularly.

If you really want to learn to surf you can do it, you just need to be committed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement