Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia

Options
  • 31-07-2002 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

I havent slept now for about 2 weeks, im absolutly shattered in work but ive no problum sleepin on the bus or wen i have to get up for work.

Any1 have any quick cures??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

same here. i went to bed at 9 on monday night, didnt get to sleep until 3. and that was one of my better days.
    it doesnt really matter how tired i am during the day, i still cant get to sleep until sometime between 2 & 6 in the morning.

any tips would be appreciated (except warm milk, what a load of bs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

You can get herbal sleeping pills over the counter at most chemists. Did the trick for me, only about 5 quid too.

If that fails go see a doctor, seriously.

yeah, i was thinking of either getting some non prescription sleeping pills or seeing a doctor. i'll try the herbal sleepers first & see a doc if they dont work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I remember a few years ago i would go to bed and not sleep for hours. I reckon once i changed my diet things sorted themselves out.
    I kind of miss those days though, cos i used to think some mad **** when i would be lying there.

I have a friend who can't sleep right at the moment, and to help him he has a couple of beers before he goes to bed. Not a great habit to get into mind you.

yeah, if i go out for a couple of pints i normally start falling asleep.
    might start keeping a bottle of vodka next to my bed:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

im kinda weary of takin any type of sleepin pill as i have a bit of a heart condition [extremly low pulse and blood pressure]. Ive found in the past sleepin pills causse a lot more harm than good:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I go out 3/4 nights a week and usually get to bed and usually get to bed sometime between 4 and 6 these nights. The body becomes accustomed to this and when i try and go to bed at 12 or so i can't sleep.

On these nights out I tend to overembibe. This creates withdrawal symtoms when i suddenly stop causing palpatations, sweats twitches and obvious sleeplessness.

Coca Cola should not be drank after 6pm as shouldn't coffee and cafiene drinks. you think they do nothing but they really do.

dairy pruducts cause indegestion while sleeping causing nightmares which keep you awake (as do spicy foods etc...)

Im actually used to not sleeping. Mondays I ussually have a half day so I don't be too bad after my night out on Sunday.After asleepless monday night, Teusday I'm shattered,refuse to take coffee or coke as most do to keep them awake, go to bed sleep okay the next night and I usually sleep fine.

Stress also gets to me though, work, wimmin, etc... will keep you awake. try and wind down before going to bed... a book, tv or something.

A hot whiskey will help as will the suggested couple of beers but has its obvious problems.

medatation before bed may help also....

.....i dunno what im talkin about..... i'm knackered myself at the minute!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I havnt slept a full night since I was about 12 yrs. old...25 now.
    serious.
    It's worse some nights than others...I attribute it to having so much on my mind all of the time, I lay down and cant stop thinking...when I finally do fall asleep I wake up throughout the night.
    I can count the number of times when I have had a good nights sleep on both hands...I remember the days because I was so happy that I actually slept through the night.
    I cant relax my mind though I try...I have tried everything except sleeping pills. I dont take pills of any kind, I fear becoming dependent on anything whether its natural or not.
    I would say I am used to not getting enough sleep, but my body has never adjusted to this and I often find myself dragging through the mornings and I pick back up after lunch.
    Why dont I see a doctor? because he will only prescribe something, and like I said before..no pills.
    I find it difficult enough to take a pill for a headache and I only do that when it's a migraine.
    oh well....it's something that some people just learn to live with I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

From talking to my GP (years ago), apparently it is something that has no real cure. But you can deal with it.

He suggested staying awake and busy through the night one evening to try and regain a proper sleeping pattern.

Also prayer or meditation before bed is a good way to clear your mind and relax.

Try sleeping in a tidy room - untidy rooms with wardrobe doors open and so on can contribute to sleeplessness.

Listen to soothing music, but turn it off at a certain point - otherwise you will concentrate on it on and not on sleep.

As has been mentioned, avoid caffeine and other stimulants.

Excercise regularly - an evening jog or walk or trip to the gym is good to wear you out.

Don't eat at all after 7pm, and try to eat properly.

Be honest with yourself about your anxieties and problems and work on them.

Sleeping pills are a good idea every once in a while - say when you are sick and need recovery sleep - but not otherwise. It's a bad habit to get into.

I grew out of the insomnia, if that is any consolation. Now I get lots of sleep - although admittedly I am easily woken by any disturbance. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Try hypnosis if it's really bother you - works a treat.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

Asuming that you do drink fair amounts of alchole, may i suggest drinking less ;) Diffrent people react diffrently to drink. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

u assume wrong. i havent touched a drop of alcohol [except the occasional glass of wine] for about 4 years. music used to help me sleep but now it makes it worse and i get really frustrated and hit my stereo tryin to find the off button *sigh*:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

i used to get insomnia.. then I found out to do some exercise and stop sitting on my ass all the time.. and get into a routine so your body knows when it IS time to sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

me i cant stop sleeping , when i sit down to watch tv i even fall asleep , i think i`m run down .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

actually, now that i think about it.

get some earplugs.. I know, it'l feel strange for the first night or two, but I cant sleep without having my earplugs. gives a sence of security or something, but it helps me relax more

earplugs? i live in the sticks, feck all use really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Fellow insomniac here,

I have pretty much the same problem as BEAT, i can't stop thinking. I have to stop myself reading/listening to music before going to sleep.

Meditation/Prayer is the only thing which has worked for me, you don't have to use any special methods, just lying down/sitting in a comfortable position in complete silence and darkness before going to sleep usually does the trick for me, that said I usually couldn't be arsed and end up falling into bed at 12 and not getting to sleep for 3 hours, and when i sleep it is not good sleep. Any way, it usually hits me in waves, like a couple of weeks at a time, stress definately has something to do with it,

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

one thing I'd suggest is getting exercise,
    if you go swimming for a couple of hours after work,
    or go for a long long walk on the beach or wherever before your dinner, it can help tire out your body which will override any mental restlessness once you hit the hay,

if u can afford the time try to exercise 2 hours an evening 2 or 3 times a week, gentle exercise even, then followed by a nice dinner, read a book before you go to bed, tv keeps the mind too alert, same with using computer

after this you should be relaxed and your physical fatigue will make u drowsy as will the meal,

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I sleep like a log nowadays. Work combined with a social life has given me the ability to sleep anytime. I usually go for a nap when I come home from work, then head out for a few, then up early for work the next morning.

Before I got dis-interested in gaming and the like, I used to stay up till 5/6am and sleep till 3/4 the next day. I found then on the nights that i needed to go to bed early I wouldn't ge to sleep till 5/6 even if i had gone to bed at 11. It's all about what your body is conditioned to I suppose.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by Jimi-Spandex
    Fellow insomniac here,

a comfortable position in complete silence and darkness before going to sleep usually does the trick for me, Hope this helps

yes, this is what I need, complete silence, I am a light sleeper, anything wakes me up...and total darkness, no light can be greeping in from anywhere or I cant sleep at all. A street lamp kept me up for awhile, I had to throw a blanket over the window until I moved the furniture around so it wouldnt shine in through the blinds on my bed. The only sound I can have on in the backround that soothes me and drowns out any other sounds...is a fan. I concentrate on the fan and it helps for the most part...gets cold sometimes blowing on me but I just throw on an extra blanket.
    here is something funny..or not, when ever I would stay at my grandmother's house she would have this little nightlite plugged in the hallway incase she needed to get up in the night and not have to turn on a light...even with my door closed it bothered me, even that little light that creeps in under the door, so I would unplug it and hide it. one day she was like, hey how did this get in the kitchen drawer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement