Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps2 Owners, opinions on something please

Options
  • 31-07-2002 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Im considering buying a ps2 and I want to know how the DVD playback is. I currently watch DVDs on my pc but I want to watch them infront of the TV so the ps2 seems like a good choice.

So have any of you come across problems or do you reckon the dvd function is best left unused?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I only use the PS2 for DVD playback (our video is broken). It seems fine. There were 2 incidents, which I assume are due to disc fault. One where the sounds would sometimes play a *tiny* bit slower than the movie, and another where it froze for a second between scenes. Because they happened at the exact same spots every time the disc is played, I assume they were due to disc fault.

Get the remote control, comes in really handy. Southpark is great to watch, you can just keep going back to the best bits :D

"<ahem> HOW WOULD YOU LIKE, TO SUCK MY BALLS,.. Mr Garrison?"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i use my PS2 now and again for DVDs. have no real prob with it. Its annoying using the joypad to navigate the menus. would recommend getting a PS2 DVD remote.

the PS2 is fine as a DVD player but i'm still thinking about getting a dedicated DVD player, surround sound, multiregion. not sure if the PS2 can do all that stuff.

on another note, with the college fees increase i might have to put my new DVD player on hold for a few months :(

if you want the full cinema experience then buy a DVD player. if not a PS2 will do perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

PS2 will be better than your PC but not as good as a dedicated player. Don't buy it for the DVD functionality, buy it for the games and consider the DVD player a bonus.

(If you're that pushed, there are better DVD players that are cheaper than the PS2, although obviously they don't play games...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I was very unfortunate myself, but at the time a happy man i got my hands on one of the first few ps2's in the country.

Some games won't read and the DVD playback quality is very average, ive seen better quality div-x's.

Dont get it for the DVD man, but the games are great, Pro Evo, MOH(i was shocked at how they managed to make it so playable comapared to UT).

The games seem to be improving all the time and they seem to be tackling their fps problems with big games with unnoticeable difference in textures and graphics.

I give it the Thumbs up, x-box is too pricy and are for "serious" gamers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I've been using a PS2 as a DVD player for a year now and find it to be fine.

My bro is a DVD freak, he was showing me the opening sequence to MI2 on his 600Euro Sony DVD player, freezing it and hightlighting some of the detail in the mountains at the back of the image, then ran the same thing on the PS2 whereby he triumphantly hightlighted the same section again. In truth it wasn't quite as sharp, however, I nearly had to pull out the magnifying glass to see that.

It will still pee all over your VHS and it's as good as many of the cheaper DVD's out there. If like me, you don't have a magnifying glass handy, you won't notice much difference at all between it and any DVD player you care to mention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no problem watching DVD's on my PS2 :). the remote is recommended. so much better than using the joypad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I use a seperate PC with a hardware decoder to output to my tv and hifi. It also does Divx, mp3's and pr0n. I'd like to see the ps2 that can do that. Also, aren't there DVD players that have some sort of Nuon chip in them for playing games?

Therefore, in a dramatic turn of events, I win, Shinji loses, go me.

(and yes, it does have a remote control :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Where can i download the latest version of the pr0n codec amp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I use a seperate PC with a hardware decoder to output to my tv and hifi.

It'll look crap compared to a decent standalone player, because the resolutions are all wrong and the TV output has to squash VGA res into TV res. (Actually this is, ironically, one of the problems also faced by the PS2.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Also consider getting Datel's Region X software for PS2 so that the PS2 will then be multiregion including DVD's with RCE (Region Coding Enhancement) which some "multiregion" standalone players cannot play.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I'd recommend getting the PS2 for the games and the DVD is a bonus. I haven't had any problems with DVD's so far on my PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Ive a top o' the range Sony dvd player, and a ps2. I can say theres little or no difference bewteen the 2... Well im sure there is a substantial difference.. but you'd need a 56" plasma to notice it.

I've watched DVDs on my standalone player and my PS2 and you wouldnt be able to tell the difference between picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

i heard of quite alot of people having problems with their PS2 dvd player bu i have never had a single problem with mine, but make sure you buy a remote control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

The initial batch had a very serious fault in that when changing layers on dvd the video and audio went very seriously out of synch (as in by a good few seconds)

I myself heard this from Sony when I called them at the launch time and both myself and a mate returned them to HMV who were swapping them for newer units.

Mine works great now although I would agree the joypad is a nightmare to use for dvd.

Defo get it for games first. A (decent) standalone player can do so much more (VCD / MP3 / No MacroV / MultiRegion).

You could get it modded of course but that would only get you multi and no macro (still no vcd etc).

Originally posted by Shinji

It'll look crap compared to a decent standalone player, because the resolutions are all wrong and the TV output has to squash VGA res into TV res. (Actually this is, ironically, one of the problems also faced by the PS2.)

I didn't say it was better than a standalone. And because the signal goes directly from the decoder card to the tv I don't think it ever gets converted into vga.

I win! AGAIN! OMG! /me does little dance of victory!

Dave, it doesn't run quitely, it's a standard pc that uses off the shelf h/w and s/w, but it's in the living room so I don't care really.

Dustaz, I'll speak with you privately about "the codec" in the "secret place" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Gunn4r
    You could get it modded of course but that would only get you multi and no macro (still no vcd etc).

Is that real multi or just No Region? (wrt RCE discs)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Amp don't try to fondle Dustaz behind the oak tree again and use codecs as an excuse!

• Advertisement

I'll fondle who I want, where I want, and use whatever excuse I want. AND THERE AINT A GODDAMNED THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

There's barely a difference between the PS2's DvD quality and a dedicated player. Its handy for me, because I never buy VHS, and I don't have to fight over the rest of the family for the DvD player when I've got a PS2 in my room. L33tage piggage. :>

-Dark-DvD-Angel-

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by amp
    I'll fondle who I want, where I want, and use whatever excuse I want. AND THERE AINT A GODDAMNED THING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!

Wait till Retr0gamer catches you behind the bicycle shed with your pants around your ankles.

We'll see then:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Amp u disgust me. Behind the bicycle shed and all. What would your mother think!:D

Well, she'd be disapointed alright. Unlike yore ma, whom I never disapoint.

And with that amp closed the now sadly off-topic thread. Shame really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement