Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipping PS2 Legally

Options
  • 30-07-2002 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

some news from bbc news
    A court in Australia has given Sony PlayStation owners the right to "chip" their consoles, allowing them to play imported and copied games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

To the best of my knowledge it's legal in Ireland also. Only places in the world where it isn't legal are the USA and UK, because of the DMCA and the 1988 Copyright Act respectively.

It's never been chipping thats the problem, it's pirated games that are the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Shinji
    To the best of my knowledge it's legal in Ireland also. Only places in the world where it isn't legal are the USA and UK, because of the DMCA and the 1988 Copyright Act respectively.

It's never been chipping thats the problem, it's pirated games that are the problem....

i taught the idea of chipping is a real "grey" area in the industry. modifications to your console terminate the warranty, right??

if it is now made legal in australia would that still cover your console under a warranty even though it will be altered ??

i dont have much knowledge with the whole chipping issue. i found this article and was wondering what response people would have to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's not really a grey area. Yes, modifying your console breaks the warranty agreement - and that still applies in Australia. What happened here was that Sony tried to take this guy to court for chipping machines, and the court found that he was entitled to do that if he wanted to - yes it breaks the warranty but it doesn't break any laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i think shinji has explained the situation pretty clearly but to add an example the manufacturers used to put on TVs "no user servicable parts,opening the cover may invalidate the warrenty"
    If manufacturers had to pick up the bill for every Joe Schmoe digging around in the back of their latest applience with an electronic screwdriver and a soldering iron the whole industry would be bankrupted overnight

Advertisement