Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaw Biting

Options
  • 29-07-2002 9:20pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this is the right place or not, but I have been biting the inside of my jaw (inside your mouth) all weekend and today, it hurts like hell!! I know this happens to other people but does anyone know why it happens?????
    It is driving my nuts!!!! ouchhhh!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If you mean biting your lip and cheeks and stuff, I do it *all* the time. I don't know why I do it, but I've done it since I was an ickle kid. Was even brought to the hospital and doctor and dentist and everything over the head of it (weird unexplainable sores in my mouth - I was biting unbeknownst to myself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

This is not a medical forum! :)

Look in the charter for good links to online health advice! :)

<< Fio >>

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

How about you don't do drugs on the weekend then if you don't like the jaw biting bit?
    bring a glow stick out with you, chew on that
    or a packet of chewing gum, or even your shurt
    But serves you right for doing scags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Damn right OJ.
    Lay off the yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by BEAT
    .......... is the right place or not, but I have been the inside of my jaw (inside your mouth) all weekend and today, ..........

You've been what the inside of your jaw? If you had left out any other word in that sentence it would have made sense. From what I get there, OJ is right, you've been popping yokes and hallucinating that you were the inside of your own jaw :D

Could be a wisdom tooth still coming through? Do you wear a retainer at night? Are you anxious about something (ie have you been clenching your teeth)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by smiles
    This is not a medical forum! :)

Look in the charter for good links to online health advice! :)

<< Fio >>

It's not a medical issue as such, it's a psychological thing, usually caused by stress/nerves, i've been doing it since I was 12 or so, it's really annoying but I can't stop doing it because I don't consciously notice i'm doing it. In fact, the only thing that stopped me for a while was getting my top lip pierced on the right hand side, so I stopped biting that half of my mouth :-D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Originally posted by seamus
    could be a wisdom tooth still coming through? Do you wear a retainer at night? Are you anxious about something (ie have you been clenching your teeth)?

yes, my wisdom teeth are coming in, this might explin it a bit, thanks for pointing out the typo...I didnt see that before.
    I am also under a bit of stress, but I didnt know that could lead to biting the inside of the jaw. Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I chew the inside of my mouth in my sleep, usually when I'm stressed out. If I'm having a particularly bad time I can reduce the insides of my cheeks to a mess.

There are a couple of options to stop - the most effective and most difficult is to tackle the cause of the chewing by de-stressing. Normally a lot easier said than done though. If you're chewing your mouth when you're awake then try buying lip balm that you don't like the taste of and smearing it on to stop you biting your lips - anything that makes you aware of your mouth so you can make a conscious effort not to chew.

If you chew at night another option is that your dentist can fit you for a night brace - it's like a glorified gum shield - and you wear this in bed at night to prevent you shredding your mouth.

To be honest I ended up going for a fitting for a night brace, not because the chewing was bothering me but because the noise was upsetting my then finicky bástard of a partner. I realised there was no way I was going to get a wink of sleep with a glorified gumshield in my gob and declined to have the brace made up from the fitting cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by BEAT

yes, my wisdom teeth are coming in, this might explin it a bit, thanks for pointing out the typo...I didnt see that before.
    I am also under a bit of stress, but I didnt know that could lead to biting the inside of the jaw. Thanks ;)

Heh, having worn traintrack braces for 4 years (plus a part-time headbrace) when I was younger, there's almost nothing I don't know about tooth/jaw pains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I think it's referred to as 'grinding'. I do it all the time too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I think it's referred to as 'grinding'.
    sounds more like a by product of gurning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Fidelis

No it's not, biting and grinding are two different things. We're talking about actually biting the skin in the inside of your mouth and lips, not grinding your teeth together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Oh yeah I do that. Doesn't hurt though. T'is like biting your nails. Nervous peeps do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

My dentist noticed the chewed-up skin inside my mouth and told that I must be grinding my teeth at night. You sir, do you have your own practice? Then please desist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

My dentist noticed the chewed-up skin inside my mouth and told that I must be grinding my teeth at night. You sir, do you have your own practice? Then please desist ;)

Ok - you can bite the skin when you grind your teeth at night - and you dont realise you are doing it.

It's totally different when you sit around and realise you are chewing the inside of your cheeks. I do it when i'm bored - and i jst started doing to now after reading this... can get sore after a while!

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

Me to. i have a distinct groove in on of my canine teeth from doing it so much. I do it while i sleep. Ive tried most things i can to stop it i.e. wearing a gum sheild going to bed but i just chew through it during the night. Nothing works for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Ahhh teeth grinding.

Me: Doctor my girlfriend tells me I'm grinding teeth constantly when I'm asleep.

GP: Are you a naturally stressed or anxious person?

Me: No.

GP: Is there anything you're worried or stressed about at the moment?

Me: No.

GP: Well, teeth grinding is caused by anxiety or stress.

Me: But I'm not stressed or anxious.

GP: That'll be €30.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Happens to me sometimes too... actually i think it happens sometimes if your lower jaw is not in the right position.. yes this happens all the time to most people! Especially if you lie your head down with the weight on your chin but usually it happens every now and again while eating... all of a suddon by back teeth go right through a bit of my mouth... ouch... anyway make sure you have some bonjella on call for when it happens.. wont prevent it but it helps heal it fast. Could be your wisdom teeth causing the problem.. thats probably what causes mine but its rare so i dont worry about it.

Advertisement