Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Rpg

Options
  • 28-07-2002 1:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

What do people think of the new star wars rpg using the d20 system?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

1 to 2 - I strongly like it
    3 to 6 - I like it
    7 to 14 - I dont mid either way
    15 to 18 - I dont like it
    19 to 20 - I strongly dont like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Well, I personally hate it for a number of reasons. First off, I played 1E and 2E Star Wars, while it was still under West End Games. When WEG went under, a good deal of their creative talent was relocated to the AD&D 3E department in WOTC. (If I haven't lost you so far you're on the right board). Anyhow, a d20 system works for a fantasy setting, D6 works a lot better for Sci-Fi. Simply because heroic acts in AD&D are so common that a d20 system balances it out a fair bit. Whereas in the new Star Wars, it's very hard indeed to be heroic. Example- Stormtroopers are level 3 in the new game- by this reasoning the "all-powerful" :rolleyes: troopers we saw in the films are able to kick your ass 1 on 1, never mind in a big group. The game balance is all out of whack, the old system was tried and tested, and wasn't used for copyright reasons- WEG and GURPS still have the rights to the D6 system. Anyhow, having all the old books as I do, it's a moot point :)

Occy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Ive only been playing dnd 3e for less then a year, so i like the d20 star wars The defense roll is nice when ur a jedi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

and a 1 to hellfire's rating system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Originally posted by Recon
    Ive only been playing dnd 3e for less then a year, so i like the d20 star wars The defense roll is nice when ur a jedi

I beta-tested for 3E- and gave some deserved negative feedback- but the d20 system wasn't part of that. Btw, ever played SW 2E? Or the first edition? I played both- and the D6 system WORKED for star wars for about 7 years- why mess with something that worked? The Star Wars universe resembled GURPS a helluva lot more than it ever would AD&D- I was hoping that WOTC would rub a pair of brain cells together and work that one out. But of course, when you have a card company trying to turn out RPGs (having fired 40% of TSR's creative staff in the process and refusing to retain WEG's first-rate creative unit)- that will be the result.

Occy

• Advertisement
Advertisement