Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KT7 and Athalon 833Mhz

Options
  • 27-07-2002 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

I've and abit kt7 running with an athalon 833Mhz cpu, I only today was trying to get both running together when I entcountered the following problem, The boards, fans, HD's and such come on and everything sounds like its working, but there doesnt seem to be any VGA, either pci or AGP.
    I tested it with 2 display cards and one Prophet 4500, the fan on the prophet was running like normal but still nothing on the onitor, I tried it on two working monitors, one 15'' and one 19". Still the same problem.
    I reseted the Cmos and tried various different jumper adjustments but still the same problem.
    Theres doesnt seem to be any noise coming from the system speaker, but then again that may not be working.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S, I've tried changing the ram 4 times. all different brands that work on other systems.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

worn agp slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Lump had a similar problem with an Abit board (think it was a KT7 too) and a 1ghz Duron with a Kyro II graphics card - same symptoms - everything powering up and all, but no graphics.

I think it turned out that his agp slot (and possibly one of his dimm slots) was knackered. Abit still haven't replaced the board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I dunno, I've tried 2 of the pci slots with a PCI display card and same problem, gonna try all of them today since I have time.

Also the battery has fallen off :(
    That shouldnt affect the system but.....

reseting the cmos doesnt seem to do anything for it...

my email Abit and see if I can get a new board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

A 833MHz Athlon. Does such a thing exist?

its either an 800Mhz,833Mhz or 866Mhz.
    Multiplyer unlocked on it, cant remember exact speed though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, Like munch said I had the same problem with a KT7A board, and a !Ghz Athlon. It turn out to be a fried Dimm. Try putting the ram in to a varition or different slots. I though Abit were supposed to be good??????? Any way there was nothing wrong with the AGP slot, it was the dimm slot.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Its an 800, (or maybe an 850 ). Its going to be a little difficult to run it at 866 on a kt7 ( presuming its not a kt7a ), considering you can't run at 133fsb with the correct multiplier ( 6.5 ). You could run it at these speeds with a non standard, in-between fsb tho. Amd didn't move to a 133 fsb until the 1ghz tbird tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Would this be the one where u fried two processors DooDee? The 800 Mhz then my 1.1 Gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

memo to self - never let doodee near pc :D

My mate's after ringing me with the exact same problem. Agp slots can get worn over time but you can just plain damage it by not being as delicate as necessary when upgrading. So what have we learnt here, don't do it unless you know what you're doing :p

In my 5yrs working inside pc's I've managed to fry one cmos chip with a bios flash gone wrong and one hdd by connecting it to the wrong molex connector, You're making me feel even better doodee, hope you didn't fry them both in the same week ;) worse yet the same day :eek:

hehe, yes tac, same day
    no it was the Chip that was fried, what had happened was i never checked the chip after buying it off Shamey on the forsale boards. he said it was a manufactured Multiplyer unlocked chip, which was a lie, he had just used a pencil to unlock the chip which i only noticed after frying it, I never reset the Cmos, and also...had left it out of a static bag for onths :(
    It was general Carelessness on my part, something that I shall not do again, as Neoslicers said, I also fried a 1.1Ghz I got off him, the problem that time was that I never really bothered to seat the heatsink and fan properly, and well...since im used to intel CPU's with auto shutdown/ burn-out protection I didnt think it would just, well...run then the *Click* of death sound then a burning smell...
    hehe..also..since the 1.1Ghz was in an overclockers box with 1.4Ghz on it, I though it was a 1.4Ghz T-bird and so have replaced it with an athalon xp1600+ hehe....and my bad luck didnt end there...after being that careless with the CPU's I was careless with the emails for the business i work in, and didnt bother to check it, infecting my systems with 3 different viruses and Infecting 17,000 files.
    I have had to use a 400MHz celeron, with 64Mb ram and Norton to clean 1x80GB HD and 1x120GB HD...which takes ****ing ages....

so...I have had a seriously ****ty day, well...had being yesterday.

both mobo's were fine, shoulda relaised that the cpu was fried earlier. also shouldnt be so lazy...

Tact im otherwise well knowligable of what not to do :D
    well...cant say that anymore :(

not a bad record though, "more than i can remember PC's systems saved / hardware repaired" to 2 CPU's destroyed.
    maybe it was just my Time to recieve a wake up slap to quit being so cocky/lazy.

yea and it was an 800Mhz chip Gerry, as I said, so used to intels

• Advertisement
Advertisement