Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Reviews

• 26-07-2002 4:19pm
    Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

The second of my irregular comic reviews. All the comic were released this week.

Batman #605
    Ed Brubaker

At last, the Bruce Wayne:Fugitive arc is over. While I wanted to end, it wraps up all too quickly in this extra sized issue. Batman reconciles with the estranged bat-family, reveals the murder and captures him. I haven't been a big fan of this arc as it just seemed to plod along at a snails pace. Now that it is over, I'd say there is going to be another few months of dealing with a couple of loose ends. Ah well.

Overall: Okay, but hurried.

Fused! #2
    Steve Niles

Fused is about a man trapped in a robotic exoskeleton. This is the second part of the origin story. It's okay, but the way he gets trapped in the suit is just a little bit cack and not explained well. This can be forgiven as he is being attacked at the time. The pacing is just about right (unlike in Batman). The art is a bit scrappy in places, with many panels lacking any background details. there is a back up story which introduces the members of a government super team that will presumably be taking on the main character in the next book.

Overall: Good, not great.

Green Arrow #15
    Kevin Smith

This is the end of Smiths run on the comic. To be honest, after a good start, the writting has gone down hill. The unnamed villan of this piece doesn't seem to have a particular reason for going again the Green Arrow and his son. There is a bit of a stand off as the GA son is operated on followed by a short and rather uninteresting scuffle. The dialog has the usual Smith gems but is generally just functional. It will be interesting to see how the new writer will shape up after the mark Smith has made on the book.

Overall: A passable ending to the run.

Hellboy: The Third Wish #1
    Mike Mignola

I only was introduced to Hellboy recently when the Judge Dredd Megazine started printing some of his stories. I've enjoyed what I've read so far and this is up to the standard I've come to expect.
    The story revolves around a Sea demon who wishes to capture Hellboy. What makes it for me are the bizarre little stories of what happened to Hellboy on his way. As he tells them to a 200 year old shaman, he is told what they were. I like the art, with its detailed and often strange backgrounds.

Overall: A nice first half to a story.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.2 #1
    Alan Moore

Ah...at last. The follow up to the previous League story. The story is based upon HG Well's War of the Worlds. This issue is set nearly entirely on Mars. It has the various inhabitants figthing against an invasion alien molluscs. The humans leading the armies, like the main characters themselves, are based on characters from books of the time. I haven't the faintest idea who they are, but it didn't take from my enjoyment. Kevin O'Neills artwork is beautiful as it shows the vast vistas of the red planet. A super comic.

Overall: Wonderful. I can't wait for the next issue.

Lucifer #28
    Mike Carey

This issue deals with a pair of fallen cherubs going to find an artifact to try an resurect Elaine (the archangel Micheal's daughter). The two banter like the pair of siblings they are and have a few adventures on the way. It's an enjoyable interlude from the main thread of the series and Lucifier himself only has a breif cameo appearance.

Overall: Enjoyable.

American Century #16
    Howard Chaykin and David Tischman

This is supposed to be the best Vertigo comic being published at the moment. I really don't see why such praise is heaped upon it. The protagonist Harry Kraft is an unlikable thug who shags, swears and fights his way through the story. The issue is the closing part of the current arc. The plot revolves around stolen paintings and forgeries of the same. There is double cross after double cross and a high body count. I think I shall stop getting this as it is just not holding my interest. All the arcs they've had are too simialr for my tastes and there is only so much of the I can take.

Overall: Over hyped, bland and rather boring.

Advertisement