Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paintballing - Buying guns & the law

Options
  • 26-07-2002 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone have any info about paintballing in ireland?

I mean just buying a few guns and heading into a woods with a few mates and shooting the life out of each other.

Is it ok to ship in guns and does anyone know where you can get cheap guns?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Quoting my mate, who works for Cross-Fire, upon asking him a similar question ... this was his answer ...

"Good luck to you".

The authorities are VERYYYY sticky about this topic. Bearing ni mind that paintball guns are classified as firearms here, things get rather messy.

The jist of what he said was that it was notoriously difficult and that you will have to jump through hoops. And when the authorities are happy with that ... they'll make you do the hoops agan, and again, and again, until they get bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

what's wrong with organising a trip with one of the few companies running such facilities? Why do you need to organise all this yourself? Last but not least, why do you want the guns, I hope your not going to put live ammo in there ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually you cant put anything but paintballs in those guns. Marbles etc wont work. The rifles bore is tappered such that the pellet needs to elongate in flight (as a paint ball does) for it to fit.

Put in something that fits snug in the firing mechanism (as you need to since it air powered) and it will jam in the barrel.
    Put it something that can travel the length of the barrel and it wont get much push behind it because its not snug in the chamber.
    Neat idea, I'd hate to see anyone get hit by something harder then paintball. They're hard enough!

I've played paintball for ages, playing in the states is great craic but the weapons there fire much faster and harder (up to 250 fps compared to about 150 here OW!).
    Worst thing that happened to me was being shot in the dick. Fnck that was sore haha...

I think you should seriously reconsider the idea of bailing into a woods with your mates. Its extremely dangerous to play on uncleared land, without marshals. You ARE going to buy safety equipment too, right?
    Personally I would prefer to play on a site, its just so much easier.

DeV.

Yeah it just seems like an awful lot of hassle to go paintballing, it's somewhat reassuring to hear you can't fire anything but a paintball pellet from them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

A mate of mine used to go into abandoned warehouses and wear all of the clothes in his wardrobe, sunglasses and safety goggles and helmets - everything he could possibly wear.

He'd get all his mates (wearing similar attire) and they'd have air guns and pistols and they'd run around shooting each other. Nutters! (Though sounded like great fun!)

*ahem* But this of course was done under supervision, should never even be considered by the general public without first conversing with the relevant authorities, which is of course what my friend and his mates did..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 FizzyPants

Must be in NI cos air pistols are illegal here, don't you know ;)

indeed they are, funny how I remember so many kids having them when I was 15/16 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

is there any place u could go thats near dublin where u dont have to be 18? or could u go to one and get away with it? (haha i'd like to see my mates try :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 staring elf

check out www.southord.com for all your paintballing needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

I would suggest going to the proffesional ranges aswell. One of the places down in Wickow has got 4 different fields for people to play on ( I think ), and these fields ( if they existed ) are filled with light aeroplane carcasses and the like. Did'nt somebody already try and organise a boards gather for paint-balling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

yeh it was also in room 101 about 7 weeks ago , don't think it went ahead , it was organised (2 years) b4 the event & people just forgot about it methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minbari_weh

I was thinking of doing this too, but it turned out to be a lot of effort.

Basically, paint markers are legal here. You don't need a licence for them. (I asked a guy in the special branch).

They are not "air guns", as they are designed for shooting animals with (farmers use them to mark their animals). Air guns are still legal in Ireland, but due to the number of injuries (due to stupid bastards not realising how dangerous they are) it's really really hard to get a licence for one.

My brother, when he turned 16 wanted one, and was told by the local police to get a shotgun; it would be easier to justify a pump action shotgun than a air gun.

The main problem is insurance. You can't go onto land you don't own and shoot balls. You hit someone, the poor guy who's land it is has to pay up.

The average cost of losing an eye in ireland is €120,000. So make sure you don't mind paying that if you want to play. Stick to the paintball arenas. It's just not worth the risk.

Advertisement