Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Newbie: Bike advice

Options
  • 25-07-2002 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm thinking about entering a Charity triathlon event which takes place in about 7 weeks. I've started a running and swimming program already but the cycling is the problem. I don't have a bike and so need some advice. I need a good but cheap 2nd hand bike (incase this is my one and only triathlon :p ) but don't have a clue what to look for. If I get into the sport I'll look to buy a "proper" bike but for now I just want something thats half decent. Any ideas, what to look for, where to look, avg price etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I'm sure the organisers of the event could provide you with a wealth of info on this sort of thing.

This race wouldn't happen to be this one would it?

Surely these guys would have something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Last Triathlon I did was the charity one in Brittas Bay - Sporting proud is the organisation - will be on in a few weeks again too.

Anyhows bikes .. well I screwed up on the first time. I have a nice light Canondale mountain bike (thick wheels) and quite simply although better than a lot of other bikes it simply did not have the higher gears - on the flats there would be no resistance and thin wheeled hi gear racers would just eat minutes off ye.

Which can be a bitch, cause after a decent swim the last thing you want is to be losing places on what most find the 'easiest' so to speak section.

Anyhows - depending on where you are doing this Triathlon and the terrain, I would go for one of the light hybrid bikes on slick tyres. Check buy and sell for bikes or pop into the bike shop there on the corner near the UGC and ask them - there are plenty of bikes which would fit the bill. I would say just look for one with thin slick tyres (not heavy thread) with a high gear range and with as light a frame as possible.

Edit: And a comfortable bloody saddle ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭prenton

"....I would go for one of the light hybrid bikes... "
    Whats a hybrid bike?
    Price range for a decent 2nd hand bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Hybrids are essentially a mix between a mountain bike and a racer.

Read up on it .. Hybrids

Advertisement