Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bushy Park Skatepark development

Options
  • 24-07-2002 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

The lads working on the project at St James Gate atm had a word with the county council yesterday. The Skatepark will not be going ahead :mad: because the company that insures these places has used up it's quota and thus there is no insurance! :eek:
    The Bank won't give the man his money for the project until they see insurance so it's all gone belly up, despite this mans efforts and over a year of research into how he could make this work v.well, it's a kick in the teeth for everyone. Ramp 'N' Rail is closed for the same reasons (apparently temporarily but it's not looking good, the owner is down and v.depressed atm, he couldn't talk to me when I last met him). Anyone fancy setting up an insurance company for extreme sports? :D

I would say it won't be long now before we see Kart City going down because this company is the only company and skatepark/extreme sports insurer for us. :(
    This is so typical, just as things like this are taking off in a big way and more and more people are showing interest, we all get a big fat kick in the arse from Mr. Insurance. :mad:

I was meant to go check out the project development in James's Gate there but unfortunately the weather didn't hold out for us. I'll report back as soon as I do get a chance to. There will be a few invite sessions afaik so if anyone is seriously gagging for a roll around on some sweet wood, send me a pm and I'll do what I can. We'll probably head in mid afternoon on a weekday/early evening.

The way I see it We have one skatepark in Santry now, mainly more suitable for rollerblades/BMX. Then there's one in Cork, woopdeedoo, they're slowly killing us, and just when an odd 50+ hungry young and talented kids jump in for the ride, they call it off and say "sorry kid back to the days of being on the streets and you can dream of what it was like to have a park now instead of dreaming of what it would be like to have a park". I'm utterly disgusted. Mike Keane, owner of Ramp 'N' Rail and Emerald skateboards met Bertie Ahern the other day and his hands are also tied. I think they passed too many brown envelopes around so they don't want to ask for anything right now. Something very weird is going on!

How many Skateparks do we need? 2 votes

less than 3
    0% 0 votes
    more than 3
    0% 0 votes
    less than 5
    0% 0 votes
    more than 5
    0% 0 votes
    one in each corner of the country
    50% 1 vote
    one in each county
    50% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

That sucks hard.

I'm no skater myslef, but I've always admired people who can manage it without injury. We need sakteparks all over the counrty, coz thats the only way we can really make a go of skating as a sport in Ireland.

And not just have loser noobs skating there.. we need people to teach the loser noobs! (like me loser noob nuber 1)

I'd love to learn how to skate. It'd be great :)

I just managed an Ollie the last day. Fear!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

OK, what I know about civil service could be written on the back of a full stop, but is there any way something like this could be set up with a member-only system where everyone who wanted to skate had to sign some sort of indemnity form waiving any legal responsibility of the park for any injuries or whatever suffered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

yes there is sico and this is precisely the system Ramp 'N' Rail had in place but if the company that is going to insure said park can't renew the policy for the next year because they have over stretched the annual quota then it's just not possible to put any type of system there to begin with.

A lot is riding on the developments that the digital hub etc have undergone. We as a community are hoping that this park will catch the attention of more people and bring the inevitable conclusion that there is a need for facilities like this here and hopefully someone there will see it and open up a door for us somewhere.

The system in Ramp 'n' Rail was it was free to join for membership then you paid 5/6 quid (irish) to skate for the day. The fire department had a slight problem with this because there were too many people on the premises at any one time for fire safety to not be an issue. So they had to change their ways and they divided it into sessions, 1 morning, 1 afternoon and 3 nights a week for over 18's from 7-10pm. Everything had been going great and unfortunately now it's hanging on by a thin thin thread :(

*fingers crossed :o

Advertisement