Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountain bikers - what do you ride?

Options
  • 24-07-2002 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Anyone feel like posting a description/picture of their current bike and favourite trail(s)?

I've got a sweet Rocky Mountain Vertex - hardtail, nice mix of components. Light, so it climbs like a monkey on coke, and nice and responsive on the downhills.

Picked it up second-hand in the Buy and Sell.

I'll post a pic sometime soon - and if I remember to bring the camera I'll try to get one of it in action on some of the trails out here (don't expect anything too wacky though as it isn't really a freeride/downhill bike - more XC).

The missus rides a Kona Cindercone - pretty much stock, but still a reasonable machine.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I have a 2nd hand black mountain bike that has "KALABAN" on the frame for 100euro's :)

Every day on my way out of my house there is a big downhill they have plaguerised with big speed ramps, so what do ya do, go fast, bunny hop em and land onto the flat ground after the ramp, great stuff! :D

otherwise we just cycle up to the dublin mountains around treerock etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

Ride a full susser on the trails - sarcen raw pro, not a bad bike with a mech disc on the front

Also have a m-trax 1800 hard-tail (the hand built cromoly one), no shocks, in the garage, she is a sweet ride for going up hills and round town but the raw pro can take it easy on the downhills sections, guess the shocks on the pro let me go a bit harder :D

I am really lucky here in dungannon that a mile or two down the road we have a forest park compete with some awesome trails :D and the moure moutains aren't too far away either!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I ride an Orange Prestige (black frame with orange decals). It'sa hardtail with RoxShox Judy XCs on the front, GripShift SRT-500s, XT drive train and V-brakes, ritchey logic SPDs, Mavic rim (front), Bontrager (rear).

There's a couple of trails i like .. but one in particular that stands out ..... only ever did it once, so that should say something ;)

Cycle out to Crone Wood, where you have a LONGGGG uphill on exposed mountain side for the most part. COnsists of logn straights and hairpin bends. CLose to the top you go into some forestry ... tight on either side, stuffy, and much steeper. At the top, you get a fantastic view .. and that's where the fun starts ....

First section consists of fairly fast rubble/scree track. If yuo fall, you're gonna be skidding along boulders and rocks ... world of hurt stuff.

Second section turns into a VERy steep grassy hill - which isn't too bad .. except for the small run off to a river with about 4/5 ft. walls (yes .. walls) on either side with a small bridge that yo HAVE to hit first time. The river in question is PowersCourt river at the top of the waterfall.

Then you do a bit of a marshy and relatively uphill cycle ... then into the forestry at the back of powerscourt waterfalls .... consists of fast straights and hairpin bends .. lots of trees, sharp drops beyond, ruts, treestumps on the blind corners, etc .. DAMN its fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Used to have a giant euro1, no suspension, upgraded the components to deore lx, handled very sweetly but got nicked. Looking for a new bike atm, how much should I pay for a mid range aluminium hard tail? Second hand say?

Originally posted by Gerry
    Used to have a giant euro1, no suspension, upgraded the components to deore lx, handled very sweetly but got nicked. Looking for a new bike atm, how much should I pay for a mid range aluminium hard tail? Second hand say?

Check out the "Cycle Inn" in Tallaght, Dublin for 2nd hand bikes. They have some good stuff hanging about. I dunno about prices .. never checked.

Hollingsworth in Templeogue (Dublin) also have some 2nd hands sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Canondale M900 - but don't use it for proper trails as I'd rather not retro fit suspension to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by tactical anni
    otherwise we just cycle up to the dublin mountains around treerock etc...

Thats my favourite lung loosener as well.
    Nice part of the city to escape to.

As for my bike its a slight variation on this one...
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2002/mountain/4300.html

Got it in Joe Daly's in Dundrum :)

My next purchase of extreme lunacy right here

Add some pro-stop discbrakes and some very unhappy parents beating me up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Well, seeing as a lot of you are posting components specs I figured I'd get in on the act...

My Vertex has XT rear and LX front, XTR shifter/brake, Shimano V-brakes, Marzocchi Z4 Bombers, Raceface cranks, a Black Spire bash guard, Shimano 747 SPDs, Mavic rims.

All round, a nice machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a quite old little trooper in my garage. Built it myself when I was 15 and loved it. Haven't been Mountain Biking in ages, really ever since one of my mates got a DH sponsorship and I couldn't afford to keep up with him in terms of equiment. So I switched to BMX :D Just as much pain but 4 times cheaper :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

Mines a Marin bobcat (extremly light. seems to want to ride fast all on its own!). All stock apart from some spd's and bar ends. Actually I ride on the road more than trails so I'm looking for a nice light road bike for training... anyone know a good place for second hand quality road bikes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

DMR Trail Star with full XT groupset.
    RockShox Psylo Race front fork.
    big assed x-lit chain device and cranks,
    azonic stem/headset/bars
    x-lite bar ends
    Shinamo XT disc set(breaks)

And my down hill bike (3 weeks old!!)
    Anchilotti Tomaso DH
    XTR groupset
    Full X-lite kit out(chain device/bars/stem/barends/cranks/seatpost)
    RockShox Boxxer World Cup front Forks.
    Fox rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Both sound like sweet bikes! What's the DH rig like - I haven't seen too many of those Ancillotti frames...

Here's a picture of my Vertex - with its groovy Rocky geometry!

Bike_3.jpg

On a related topic, we had a buddy from Belfast out for a visit and a bit of riding on the North Shore recently - he went mad and bought a titanium Hummer from Deep Cove Bikes... $4000+

Nice ride though - but for over $4k I would have gone for something else :)

[size=-1]Edit to fix some spelling mistakes, add some stuff[/size]

Advertisement