Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extreme and Adventure Sports Club

Options
  • 24-07-2002 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

Im Looking for Feedback how many of you guys out there would be a part of an Extreme and adventure sports club.

As I worked for a company in the UK and Im thinking of setting up over here .................... Purely Extreme based , Adventure Weekends to europe and everything from Scad jumping to Caving in Kerry also at the Moment im trying to Organise Bungee Jumping around the Country .........

If set-up all details of the company will be posted here first to reap the wealth of dangerous living.

GURU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by the Guru
    Im Looking for Feedback how many of you guys out there would be a part of an Extreme and adventure sports club.

GURU

This is just my opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt...

I don't know how comfortable I would be doing sports with an element of personal risk with a group of strangers/people I didn't know very well.

I've been reasonably lucky in that I've always had a bunch of mates who have been into the same stuff as me, so we tend to bike/paddle/climb/ski/board/etc. together.

Usually I've been happy that the person on the other end of the rope/running a waterfall/dropping off on their bike or board is capable of doing what they are trying, based on our experience level. I'm also usually happy that we'll be able to cope if something goes wrong.

When you throw people whose skill level I've no way of knowing into the mix, that's when things start to get a bit worrying. If I was relying on the person in front of me not freezing up in a narrow crack when we're underground (just using your caving example) I'd like to know them before some kind of TV movie-of-the-week nightmare scenario starts to unfold as they realise they aren't really cut out to be a spelunker :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it wouldn't be for me - but that is just my take on it. I'm sure it would be well run, activities would be within everyone's comfort zone, etc. etc. - just not my cup of tea.

Also, lets face it, part of the fun is slagging off your mates after they wipe out spectacularly (slagging need not always be reserved for after the trip to casualty!) I'd imagine this would be a bit of a problem with people you didn't know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Its a good idea - but not one I feel would really work ... at least not in an official way if you are based on the east coast. You will have a nightmare with insurance and in my xp of all these sorts of sports most people are in it for themselves and unofficial communities just build up naturally and people are happy with that.

If I was to take the top 3 of mine - there are regulating organisations of a sort for all of them .. diving, windsurfing and kitesurfing, and for all but the latter I am already in a club. An all encompassing body would be next to impossible to set up i think .. just my thoughts on it.

I do know there are such extreme w/e clubs you can join in Oz and NZ - where each w/e they have you out trying climbing, then rafting then surfing etc.. great idea - but would be tough here.

Equipment costs are also a huge consideration.

JAK.

Advertisement