Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mag Prices

Options
  • 23-07-2002 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Can ne1 tell me wtf is going on cause im really confused atm, I recently went to Liffey Valley to look around , I popped into virgin and was looking throught their magazine rack and found that the price of the magazines did not change from the original price for example the magazine COMPUTER AND VIDEO GAMES (CVG) is £2.50 but i i bought it for €2.50 the same price but when you look in easons or the Virgin branch in town or Blanchardstown centre it would be sold for from €4.50 to €5 :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Don't sing it from the hill-tops. I think you were v lucky. Any mags here would have to be converted to the Euro and have VAT at 21% added. I think Virgin in Liffey Valley have screwed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

On the same point though can someone explain to me why Irish VAT is applied to UK magazines where UK VAT has also been paid??

Either we're getting screwed because of double VAT or we're getting screwed because the distributors are reclaiming the UK VAT keeping it as extra profit..

Anyone know the truth behind all this?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

€11.30 for PC Gamer(DVD Edition) in Dundalk.

Yes i was bent over the counter and raped while paying for it and the writers are absolute ****, articles are crap but 4gb+ of mods and stuff is good

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

eyah, PCGamer is awefully expensive.
    I ahven't bought a copy in a long long while.

It used to be so much better in the old days.
    It's gotten way too commercial and "luvvy-duvvy" with the games, while stiull claiming to give fair and harsh reviews.
    They like to hark on about how they've been around for ages and their expansive experience and being able to recall such and such a game etc.
    Their little in-jokes sicken me aswell, get very boring very quickly.

Still, tis handy for the odd bit and piece here and there, especially the netware section where you can find some obscure little things which you mightn'y find otherwise.

The DVD is handy to get maybe once every 3-4 months so you have a base to patch from should you ever need to reformat and reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Originally posted by Bluehair
    On the same point though can someone explain to me why Irish VAT is applied to UK magazines where UK VAT has also been paid??

Either we're getting screwed because of double VAT or we're getting screwed because the distributors are reclaiming the UK VAT keeping it as extra profit..

Anyone know the truth behind all this?? :(

Yup. We're being screwed. By our own complacency. Who do you think is going to complain about this? Irish magazine publishers? Uh-uh. Why should they make a fuss about what is effectively a protective tarrif?

Retail outlets? Nope. Margin is margin.

The UK publishers themselves? Nah. Can't be arsed. Ireland is just a dumping ground for them. Any extra sales are welcome, but it's not worth getting in a fight over such piddling amounts.

Do you the readers want to organise to do something about this? Take the government to court? Appeal to the EU? Mount a sustained boycott against lnewsagents, particularly leading chains like Easons, until they mend their ways?

Or do you just want to vent your frustrations on Web boards?

Up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

its the governments fault. they charge vat on the cover price of a mag. but in england that also includes the vat so....we pay both both sets of vat. virgin are nice enough to absorb the cost of the irish vat so thats whey its generally cheaper to buy mags there. lobby group time :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Lobby group sounds like good idea.

in local newsagents I saw Official UK PS2 Magazine for over €10 and PC Format (DVD) was a whopping €12.36:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    its the governments fault. they charge vat on the cover price of a mag. but in england that also includes the vat so....we pay both both sets of vat. virgin are nice enough to absorb the cost of the irish vat so thats whey its generally cheaper to buy mags there. lobby group time :)

Actually, magazines are zero-rated for VAT in the UK, which is why they seem so expensive in Ireland:

Cover Price: GBP5.99/EUR9.46
    + Irish VAT @ 12.5% : EUR1.18
    Total: EUR11.16

Eason, the largest distributer, price their magazines every couple (6?) of months, and allowed to build in a certain amount extra to shield them from currency fluctuations. I think it's 5%, but I'm not certain. Assuming its 5%, that would bring the maximum price to something like EUR11.72, if they priced it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I agree with all the points above that we are being ripped off for uk mags I always buy pc Zone usually in Game or virgin cause it's about a whopping 3.?? euro's cheaper although virgin usually dont have the latest mag in the shop.but the biggest rip off is pc Gamer @ about 13.?? Euros in Eason for the dvd edition.I have a theory about the pc Gamer and Pc Zone rivalry in which pc Gamer is the best selling pc games mag in the uk.It might b compleat crap but here it is . I think the loyal followers of pc gamer continue to buy it because the pc Gamer website is s*i*e ( pcgamer.co.uk ) it hasent been updated since Black & White has been released !!! and they dont want to switch mags. where as pc zone apparantly doesent sell as much copys as pcg because it has a great websit thats updated nearly every day. ( pczone.co.uk )Thats it. sorry bout the spellin. >:^) COMBATCOW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

I stopped buying magazines a long time ago, mostly due to this intor-knot thing, which is handy.

Add to that, the fact that games no longer get slated in magazines for fear that big mister developer won't send a preview copy next time round. So for mags like C&VG, all games are fine, fine, just fine.... which more often than not means, "this game is pretty crap but we're afraid to say that"

• Advertisement
Advertisement