Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcades in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-07-2002 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all,

Are there any decent arcades left in Ireland? I'm not talking about the money guzzling 2-minutes-a-credit games in Dr. Quirkeys. I'm talking about old late 80s/early 90s games that were actually fun to play....

Probably most likely found in seaside towns etc. Anyone got any favourite arcades they like to visit?

- Dave.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

nah full of scumbags nowadays :(

Do have fond memories of the Golden Nugget in D.22
    finsihed SF2 in there for 1st time :)

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

or that one that was in the Savoy in Cork years ago.. bloody huge place. Pity, as you say, it was turned into a scumbag hangout. Annnnnnnnnd now its a nightclub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Try Tramore, Co. Waterford.

Full of arcades and they have the old games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Jasons in Ranelagh still has one or two fun games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

the arcades in this country have realy gone down hill in the past few years, nowdays its all racing games and light gun games and a few of the weird ones. I miss platform games shoot em ups and beat em ups theres just no varitey anymore just another example of D***heads been put in charge and making a mess of it. :mad: :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

"Arcadia" on the main street in Kilkee, Co. Clare (back door is on the beach road) still has all the old platform games - probably still has that old Olympics game where making your 100M sprinter run faster consisted of whacking a button hard and fast... erm...

I blew up my first death star there... :) ahhh fond memories!

Most of the arcades these days in Ireland ARE shite however...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i used to go to a really ****ty arcade in Crosshaven, cork a lot. It was all scummy and stuff but had all the old stuff and was very cheap so it was good fun. they had 2p slot machines and a load of 10p games... but I thats done now that we're using euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Tramore is good for nostalgia fans. I could swear I saw wonderboy there recently. I know the guy who owns most of the arcades there, I am talking to him about buying an old cabinet or two. So far best offer I've had is 350 Euro for Streetfighter 2 Turbo. (Full cabinet and game). Am considering it, but would like something even older like Cabal or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

is that arcade just off the square over Supermacs in Galway still there?
    i think it was £3 for as long as you wanted including pool

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

yeah, it's still there, but the games have gone.
    There were some real gems tehre allright :)
    They replaced the cabinets with pool and snooker tables.
    There's still a pay per play arcadey thing beside the stairs, but it's all racing/lightgun games and knacker football/boxing games.

They've thrown in some PCs for websurfing.

Leisureplex or leisurewolrd or whatever out by the cinema isn't too bad.
    They have Quazar2k upstairs, bowling and pool and racing games.
    Nothing oldskool though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Illkillya
    i used to go to a really ****ty arcade in Crosshaven, cork a lot. It was all scummy and stuff but had all the old stuff and was very cheap so it was good fun. they had 2p slot machines and a load of 10p games... but I thats done now that we're using euros.

Ahhhh "La Scala". Either that or that yellow crummy place next door thats full of one-armed-bandits now... the latter of which is still open

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Illkillya

LOL i remeber going to that place when i was a nipper, i'm suprised it's still there :P

I also remember the arcade they used to have in the Savoy too, the place went to pot after they got rid of that kick ass slide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I grew up in Salthill as a child, and going to arcades was a daily occurance for myself and my mates. There were so many arcades featuring the kind of retro games you describe. I remember games like SpyHunter (when it was an overhead 2D game, wherey you had to drive in to the back of the truck). As I write this, I can still remember the music. Also Street fighter 1, I used to always pick Ryu, and spend ages doing fireballs. On the platformer side was Robocop, Narc, Turtles, etc.

In Salthill we had, the Silver Dollar, Claudes, Seapoint, and many more smaller ones. They were all over the place. Leisureland was completely different than it is today. As far as I'm concerned it had more inside electronic entertainment than the whole outdoor rusty big wheel type rides, that ruins Salthill today. Years ago Leisureland just had Bump n' Cars, the Big Slide, a Bouncing Castle, the PlayGround, the Train, the Ghost Train, and dispersed candy floss/popcorn vendors. Inside was much better.

All that's left in Salthill now (arcade wise) is Seapoint, which has all the fancy in your face new games, that costed about 50p - £1 a go, the last time I was there. (about 5 years, I'd say). When my father used to bring me to arcades when I was about 5 or 6, games were 10p a go. It was 20p for big games that required more than just a standard cabinet with a joystick, like Afterburner or Outrun.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Ah those days are long gone. I spent many a wasted Friday evening in my local snooker hall in Rathfarnham. I wouldn't dare walk in to the place now. Many other cool arcades in Dublin city. The Hideout is still there. Used to play super sprint in there and puzzle bobble during college. I remember MacDaniels down in Brittas Bay used to have a few arcades, again they've been gone years. I also used to spend my summers in Galway, Salthill was the business. There was another little arcade in Galway town, wouldn't know what street it was on, but they did have a stand up outrun cabinet there. I'm sure, like more of the others thats long gone too.

There were/are a couple of other cool arcades still around. There's one on O'Connel street where they sell ring donouts outside. The Pierro Club on the quays is long gone.

Arcades are definitely not what they used to be. I wouldn't be found dead in one these days. Actually, if I were found in one I probably would be dead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was in an old arcede in Curraclow CO. wexford, you know where the filmed that film `medal of Honor Allied assualt ` with tom hanks.

Any way they had some great old game metal slug/new zeland story and chase hq and all, i have the all in emulators but i still played money to play them in arcade.

`i Often consfuse films with real life, but never computer games`... Some guy in a bell tower!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fairysnatch

WHERE HAVE ALL THE SMALL TOWN ARCADES GONE? THROUGH THE 80"s THERE WAS 6 ARCADES IN ROSCREA, THE LIKES OF JACKS, SPIDERS, CLOUD 9, TUDER AND SO ON COOL NAMES AND GREAT PLACES TO JUST HANG OUT IN. NOT TO MENTION THE GREAT GAMES PAC MAN, SPACE INVADERS, PHOENIX, CRUSH ROLLER , TRON, ARKANOID, FIREFOX, SCRAMBLE, CIRCUS CHARLIE, FROGGER, DIG DUG, KUNG FU MASTER, ASTEROIDS, DONKEY KONG, GALAGA, DEFENDER, COMMANDO, TIME PILOT, 1941, MARIO BROS, TRACK N FIELD, JUST TO NAME A FEW. THE ONLY TIME MY KIDS GET TO PLAY GAMES IN THE ARCADE IS WHEN WE GO TO PERKS IN YOUGHAL EVERY SUMMER, PLAYING XBOX IS NO WAY NEAR THE SAME AS THE SENSES OVERLOAD YOU GET WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THAT DOOR. YOUR FACE JUST LIT UP WHEN YOU HERD ALL THAT SOUND, AND IF YOU CANT REMEMBER JUST GO ON YOUTUBE AND WATCH ALL THE HOME ARCADE TOURS. ITS A PITY KIDS CANT GO HANG OUT WITH THERE FRIENDS IN A LOCAL ARCADE, INSTEAD SIT IN THERE ROOMS FOR 6 HOURS PLAYING XBOX, MAYBE WHEN I WIN THE LOTTO I WILL OPEN AN 80"S ARCADE WITH THE OLD PRICE OF 10 CENTS A GAME. LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

What's with the CAPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

oldestthread0hx.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement