Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a decent remedy?

Options
  • 21-07-2002 12:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Anyone know a decent remedy for muscle spasms, it happens after every allnight LAN i go to, next day while sleeping or just after i get up one or both of my calf muscles lock up leaving me in agony for a couple of minutes and very tender for the rest of the day, ;((, anyone know anything to releave the pain afterwards or to prevent em?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Just walk around, strech your legs a couple of times during the nite. Happened to me after my first, i hadn't move from my chair for the whole nite !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

This always happened me after playing matches, or going somewhere where i had to sit for more than 3 hours.

My best bet was always to put on deep heat on me calfs before the match and after (just a little after) and when i go to lan's ill put on a bit before hand and a bit after and im grand

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by megasheep
    when i go to lan's ill put on a bit before hand and a bit after and im grand

Bet you smell georgeous at lans :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I throw on some deep heat it happens to be too, the strange thing is i wasnt sitting still for most of the night, in fact i was moving around alot, i'd blame the train from cork to dublin and back but it happens after LANs in cork too, my muscles just dont like being messed about with id guess =)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Nothing worse then a pulled calf hurts like hell.

Best thing to do is warm it up.

Search google to find a picture of how ya do it. Its sort of like a push up, well not really but like you use your arms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Somehow the thought of gamers warming up and putting deep heat on before their LAN is eternally amusing to me :)

And yes, occasional stretching should sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

lol! That's ridiculous, I used to get muscle spasms after 8hrs straight of windsurfing in huge waves but after a games night! :D

Your muscles aren't getting enough exercise, go swimming once a week, it helps to elongate and relax your muscles, should stop your spasms within one month if you go to the pool warm up a bit, then stretch it and relax, take a hot bath instead of a shower.

One or two sessions of "Sun Salutations" per week (yoga techniques) keeps me flexy.....

i cycle for an hour every morning, cant be me my lack of excercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    Anyone know a decent remedy for muscle spasms.........anyone know anything to releave the pain afterwards or to prevent em?
    The best way to prevent them is regular exercise! I only get them when i dont do anything for ages(ie play sport).

The fastest way to releave the pain is to massage the muscle(very hard) and to bend the knee as that releaves some of the pressure on the calf muscle.

And yes i used to suffer from it a lot!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by azezil
    i hadn't move from my chair for the whole nite !!

FFS, that's not a good idea.
    Have you ever heard of deep vein thrombosis ?

• Advertisement

ok taz well then the problem lies in you exercising (tightening the muscles) then not doing a good stretch session upon completion of your morning cycle. Go for a swim after your cycle if you can. Or just make sure that while your sitll warmed up after your cycle that you do a good 15/20mins stretching afterwards and you'll be sorted.

Might be a good idea to get off your ass and shake your legs at least once every hour or two during the night

ill give that a try then, ty.

Np, what's happening is as you exercise your muscles are strained/broken down then restrengthened in a tighter/more muscular fashion than they were previous to your cycle and without stretches you are building bulk without keeping it balanced, gl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by megasheep
    This always happened me after playing matches, or going somewhere where i had to sit for more than 3 hours.

My best bet was always to put on deep heat on me calfs before the match and after (just a little after) and when i go to lan's ill put on a bit before hand and a bit after and im grand

Hope this helps

Christ, anyone reading this would think you're playing a sport.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

it can also mean that your not getting enough potassium in your diet fellas...try eating some bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Take a Cal/Mag tablet (get them in chemist or supermarket) before bed.
    Works wonders!

Advertisement