Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding. Any shredders out there?

Options
  • 20-07-2002 4:23pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Been boarding for 10 years at least one week a year.

I recommend Livigno in Italy as its pretty cool and very cheap to eat/drink there...
    Its got good beginner support, and excellent intermediate runs. For the more advanced there are 3-4 runs which are challenging but you're best bet is the off-piste powder with is excellent if you have a guide.
    It has a snowpark usually though its quality varies from year to year :(.

Its not the most radical or snowboarder-focused resort but if you are looking for long, wide rides with good snow and plenty of off-piste powder then its great.

Other then that, I *highly* recommend Salt Lake city in the US. Best snow I've ever been on. Unreal long runs and great ammenities. Expensive enough to get to and to stay at but after Whistler it should considered the Mecca of boarders...

Closer to home theres scotland but that can be dodgy for snow, then again you can decide to go on Friday and be on the snow on saturday. Ben Nevis is a nice range but you are never going to get the facilities you will get in central Europe or America. It can be fun for a weekend to take the edge off your cold turkey :)

Lastly is a place I am DEFINITELY going to try out (in the interest of reporting of course). www.snowworld.nl
    Indoor, real snow park just outside Amsterdam. They have livewebcams and it looks unreal....

So, are there any other shredders out there?

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

yes, and I can honestly say it is the most enjoyable pastime I have EVER done(sorry D&D). I love Austria, but I'll check out that place. Sugarloaf/USA in Maine rules too. I found 3 flavors of jolt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Snowboarding is one of the only things I haven't tried and I'm dying to try it, samba has been a couple of times and I'm going to be planning my first trip for the new years :)

Can't wait!

Probably France seeing as I've a bit of the frogger in me

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

there may be a mass Boards invasion of Livigno next march though, I'm giving it some serious thought.

We went with 8 last year but might organise a big trip this year.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Stick me down so, otherwise I'll stow away in mike's rucksack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Forget it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Coyote

Well I would be well up for it again :)
    just this time i;m not letting a muppet we do not know lead the Snowmobiles around that ice lake he nearly killed me. going the wrong way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I heartily endorse this product and/or service! It's the business - loads of fun (I was on of the eight last March). Great craic - Livingo was fun and the whole thing was relativly cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by DeVore

Other then that, I *highly* recommend Salt Lake city in the US. Best snow I've ever been on. Unreal long runs and great ammenities. Expensive enough to get to and to stay at but after Whistler it should considered the Mecca of boarders...

Nice to hear Whistler mentioned! You crazy kids should skip Italy and come to Whistler - best skiing/boarding on the planet, and it's only a couple of hours away from my front door... with the Canadian dollar as weak as it is, skiing at Whistler can be cheaper than the big US resorts.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm going to go to Whistler sometime in my life, I've heard SO much about the place being insane for boarders but I want to be the best I can be before heading over to get the most out of it.

DeV.

Originally posted by TetsuoHashimoto
    Forget it

Now make me mod so I can remove silly remarks such as above :)

If you have nothing useful to put in here then please take it elsewhere, thank you.

Dev, you can count me in for this trip!

ps Dev, check the charter thread pls :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Went a few times, absoloutely loved it, i'd love to go again but as of yet i have had no clear cut answer form a doctor as to whether or not snowboarding would be a good idea :(

None the less I WILL SNOWBOARD AGAIN :)

You have to be positive about these things ;)

Originally posted by Samba

None the less I WILL SNOWBOARD AGAIN :)
    You have to be positive about these things ;)

Damn straight, Positive Mental Attitude is what it's all about, you'll be back in no time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

You should try Chaminx in France it really cool they dont care what you do as Long as you pay your on hospital bill

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Well the last holiday I had was back in 1995. I went skiing in Andora. And I was surprisingly good at it. I'm short, you see, with a lower centre of gravity and thus have great balance. But I used to see all these snowboarders carving up the piste and thought to myself "that looks so much more fun then this skiing lark".

And now 7 years later, I've nearly paid off my credit card and have a craving to BUST A MOVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Chamonix is a nice spot - another good one if you are just scouting and reviewing spots is La Clusaz or some similar spelling.

Same area and has a truly massive network of slopes to choose from.

But then I've vowed to avoid the hard water stuff for a long while yet.

Advertisement