Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D: Air Elemental Familiar

Options
  • 18-07-2002 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I just got an air elemental as my familiar in a 3rd ed game I'm currently playing in,

I was just wondering if, say I ever get into a fight with a wizard/sorcerer, will I be able to get the elemental to suround (as in an all round outer shield or cloak) me and if so would i be protected from lightening attacks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

bump

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I assume you are talking about a mephit type creature and not a fully fledged air elemental , mind you either way it's too powerful. Alternatively it could be an elemental creature (as in a normal creature with the "elemental" or "half elemental" template applied).

Air elementals do not provide or possess lightning reisitance/immunity. They do have damage reduction though that won't help vrs spells.

Same for mephits but a mephit is a corporeal being so it can't surround you anyway.

As for surrounding you,
    1. it would have to be larger than you, that makes it a medium elemental (you definitely should not have that as a familiar)

2. the action of surrounding you is like the air elementals whirlwind ability, so at the least I would say you could not cast spells while surrounded.

3. I would be *very* careful about using a familiar as a shield. Read the rules on losing a familiar on page 50 of the PHB.

4. if the elemental is acting as a shield, it would be trying to intercept attacks. I would rule that it's AC be reduced to it's touch AC and it automatically fails any reflex saves, if not automatically takes full damage from area based spells as it shields someone else.

Best bet, IMHO is to go and learn Resist elements, 2nd level sor/wiz, absorbs 12 points of elemental damage per round.

Advertisement