Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trance,opinions please

Options
  • 18-07-2002 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

while reading some posts on this board trance seems to be regarded as "scum bag music" or "not real dance music"i find this to be musical snobbery who is to say if techno or progressive house,house etc is better than any other type of dance music,i play trance have played it about 5 years and i still love it,people generalise trance because if a song makes it into the charts ie-castles in the sky,ppk, it's tends to have a trance element but this is not trance it's cheesy pop music with synths etc,as i say i play trance i'm not a scumbag everyone that likes it isn't scum or doesn't know about dance music,i find that ireland is the bitchiest country when it comes to dance music coz it's so divided and full of people slagging other genres,as soon as an irish dj gets somewhere the begrudgers come out and say he sold out,maybe this is why dance music is dying in ireland a slow death and that there aren't as many irish dj's who have made it internationally

just my opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭DeeJ

totally agree Derek - i think its the same with any type of museic. the 'cheesy' mass produced sh*te that floods the charts can easily tarnish an entire genre.

theres great trance and crap trance out there, just like with any other type of music.

p.s. i would also like to ask people who class trance as "scumbag music" how they would define a scumbag. enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Derek_S

i would also like to know that it's like saying that everyone thats likes techno are upper class or better than other people

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

When I started out listening to 'propper' music, I really liked trance, I got to a stage when I used to love it a lot, than other genre's,
    But then I felt that trance was kinda going downhill. I notice that there wasn't good tunes being released at the time I used to like, and that as time when on, the tunes started to get a lil but unlistenable for me.
    Then I met techno, into it for the past few years now, but the same thing seems to be happening to me with techo, I just can't find that "one deadly tune" that you can listen to over and over like I did to techo & trance

i think your right, and i think that dance music is experiencing a bit of a recline or whatever the word is lately, clubbing isnt as popular as it was and the volume of quality tunes being produced seems to have declined.

but its the 'trance/scumbag' association that really grates on my nerves - thats what i would like explained to me. Cant remember who said it though- ill have a look in the other threads

twas cm/tyranny or whatever

• Advertisement

dance is defo in decline ya only have tio look at the turnouts in most clubs now,redbox etc does only be full for big name dj's

tomato temple and shooters are gone,know there not great clubs but had a couple of good nights in them

basically i think it's a lot of thing
    people don't go to clubs anymore coz they grow out of it
    don't wanna pay ridiculous prices when they can go to late bars for nothing
    people are more into meetings girls fella's then going to listen to dance music

and i think clubs in dublin have oversaturated dj's they always get the same dj's for bank holidays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

never a truer word derek uve got a good head on them shoulders pity its so ugly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I think simple economics have a lot to do with turnout. I've been travelling a lot since last year and getting to see Ireland in 2 month 'slides' makes comparisons easier. Nightlife here in general really has slowed down. It's usually younger folks who are/were going to clubs and they are the first to be hit by a lack of cash.

I don't think Dance in general is getting any worse, there's just a proliferation of formulaic crap getting in the way of finding the quality tunes.

cheers ste don't like the ugly jibe though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

ah derek dont take everytin i say to heart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the more popular a genre becomes the less likely producers will become to experiment and try new things, theyll try to capitalise on the newfound popularity and make sure fire hits, safe tracks. eventually the consumer tires of the same thing over and over again and forges on to a different genre, allowing the old genre to regenerate, coz only those truly interested in that genre will stay

Advertisement