Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated Posts

Options
  • 16-07-2002 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Again this is getting onto the subject of information dissemination and discussion.

I think the automated posts are "lame" (for want of a better word). Most sites that most people already subscribe to already supply this sort of information. Sure discuss virus.smack.my.bitch.up.exe or why you don't want the US government to know what size briefs you wear, regurgitating information from other sites seems pointless as in most cases it doesn't seem to solicit any sort of discussion.

Promoting awareness is of course required. I don't necessarily think autoposting information from mailing lists and web sites is the best method for boards. Maybe a section in the FAQ on some useful sites for finding out information about common areas of interest/concern might be more suitable? as opposed to weekly posts from automated systems.

It just feels wrong starting a conversion with a toaster on a sunday morning, never mind an automated poster on a Tuesday afternoon when you can be presumed sane, for the most part.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't like them either, but I don't want to get rid of them if people are using them or like reading them. I asked before, but didn't really get an answer (the thread went a bit off topic ;) ).

Anyway, I'll set up a poll ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

NP, I can disable Q posts for any forum that wishes it.

Hereby disabling for Security.

Advertisement