Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water everywhere, but not a drop to drink

Options
  • 14-07-2002 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Ok. I have been playing guitar for some while now, the only guitar i own is the first one i ever got a bottom of the range Samick acoustic. I play in a band and they lend me either a squire telecaster or a gibson SG. I want to get an electric guitar before the end of the summer because i cant bring my bands guitars home to practice. I dont have any money to spend yet but i hope to have about 350 at the end of the summer, but i dont want to spend it all. If anyone could help me as to what guitar to buy it would be great. the type of music i play is similir to mettalica, RATM, G N' R, a lot of punk stuff, but i need a nice clean sound as well. If you guys know of anything please tell me
    Adios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Try some mexican strats, some epiphones and some telecastors, and decide yourself:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Check the ol' Buy And Sell. If you see anything interesting, paste the ad to hear and we'll give opinions.

...and potentially steal it from right under your nose and buy it ourselves! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Now u know you have to ask me about getting a cheap guitar.

Lets get this straight, Your NOT going to get a nice clean sound off a single coil guitar (like a strat or telecaster)
    And your NOT going to get a kick ass respected guitar for cheap either (unless, as was suggested above, u spot a bargin in buy and sell or some thing, or a scratched or dented one)

Ok i got a strat copy with single coils really cheap, now it was for home use and pratice and still is i love it so much, soon i will buy a proper guitar for preformances.

Ok so maybe you can buy a cheap guitar for home use and practice, and use the borrowed stuff for preformance.

If you want a clean sound (no hum) get a guitar with humbucker pickups.

I think your gona have to make some choices about your purchase either beg every1 u know or save your ass off (you can live on coke and toast for ages :) )

Or maybe as its nearing christmas you can do a christmas club thing, (you pay the guitar shop a set amount every week and when you've paid enough they give you your stuff) Plus at christmas stuff goes on sale ok, the shops do packages and stuff some are quite good for what u pay (u'd think i work 4 them)
    But its even cheaper AFTER christmas.

So Good Luck
    Remember couches can often hold lots of loose change.

I think he meant nice clean sound as in, when its not distorted, and strats generally have the best clean sound, humbuckers being too muddy. John Frusicante uses single coils, and his sound is great. A Strat with a humbucker in the bridge is perfect. You have nice single coils for clean stuff. You should use the bridge humbucker on all guitars for lead stuff anyway, and for chuggy rhythm. Of course you could get the Slash scom sound or Estranged sound using the second p/u position of the strat, there is no hum either because the reverse magnetic fields cancel out the hum, and you get the warm distorted tone too. I have a MIM strat, which i got cheap second hand, and modified it a bit, and it sounds great. Better than most LP copys, but not as good a as real LP :(
    But seriously just play the damn things through a good amp and use some guitary friends to help you decide which to buy.

• Advertisement

If your buying an electric guitar just for clan ampage, maybe try one of the acoustic guitars with an input jack can't remember the proper name for then, 'normal guitars u can plug into an amp' :)

Anyway you probably do want to use some overdrive/dist so a strat copy would be a good choice as the single coils will give a decent Clean sound, but your od/dist might be a bit fuzzy you can do some things to try and reduce it.

I'd advise against a telecaster but thats only because i hate them so much, i'm sure their good guitars.

Telecastors rule man jesus, what guitars DO you like.

Pretty much most guitar, but i just don't like the look of telecasters, thats all i hear they play well, but i wouldn't be seen dead with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I actually like the look of Tele's. It has a very sophisticated, Vintage look. The same for Les Pauls. I'm not fond of double cut guitars, although I do take a liking to Jacksons and and SGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭col_nicholson

Thanks for the help. I like Teles and Les pauls. so thats what i hope for, by the way does anyone know anywhere in or around offaly where it would be easy to get a gig?

• Advertisement
Advertisement