Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Camcorder,need help

Options
  • 10-07-2002 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one, I had a look on a few american sites and saw some sweet deals on MiniDV camcorders. Is there anything I should know if I import one (Voltage/Playback etc) and is it a good idea?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Voltage usually isnt an issue, the PSU's should be auto switching, you will need a plug adapter though (easy enough to find). However the americans arent exactly big on making thei camcorders multi standard, and they're usually NTSC only. Not a problem if you plan to load it to your PC and then convert it to DVD/VCD as most mastering software will let you transfer it to PAL easily, and of course left on the PC its not an issue at all.
    Other features to watch for are the Zoom levels (ignore digital Zoom, as it's awful), Long Play, Night modes etc., Image Jitter correction.
    I picked up an RCA 9390 from Amazon at Xmas myself and it's amazing. 3 night modes, active infra red, 10x zoom, the viewpads a touchscreen so configuration's a doddle. I hightly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

I bought a Cannon Cam Corder Last year. NTSC playback etc. the only drawback is if you want to record onto video (for giving copies to relatives - of weddings etc.) It dosn't work, unless you have a NTSC to PAL converter! Of course if all the people you are giving copies to have computers or dvd players no prob, just record onto VCD. But for your own viewing and editing it's a lot cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Thanks lads, all the footage will be going onto a pc and then possibly writeable cd's so I wont be touching a vhs cassette.

Looks like ive just saved myself about €500 :)

Advertisement