Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Stuff

Options
  • 09-07-2002 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Right o, ive got quite a few questions so ill just cut to the chase.

1. At present i own a 8310 which only has an IR link. Can i use the ir port on my laptop to connect to the 8310 and use it as a modem? Can the 8310 be connected to the internet using gprs or a data call linked up to my laptop via IR? If i do connect to the internet via my fone do i do so through my standard ISP?

2. If i do connect to the internet using gprs or a data call on my 8310 what kinda connection speed could i get? Can i then connect to the internet anywhere my fone has decent enough service?

3. Is bluetooth a lot faster than IR for connecting fones to laptops?

4. Can anyone else interfer with my laptop through the IR port?

5. Would i be best forgetting about connectin to the internet with a fone and just buy the nokia card phone and plug it into my laptop?

6. Can i connect a PDA to my fone using IR and browse the internet from a PDA?

7. Can i retrieve my standard POP3 email provided by my isp on my fone using gprs or wap?

8. What other possibilities does GPRS have apart from WAP?

9. Can someone explain the basic principle behind a WAN.

Thanks very much if youre able to answer a few of these question ill be pleased! Thanks for any help use can provide :) , because tbh atm its all a bit of a mumbo jumbo :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

You are keeping me busy these days, Jester :D
    Originally posted by Jester

1. At present i own a 8310 which only has an IR link. Can i use the ir port on my laptop to connect to the 8310 and use it as a modem? Can the 8310 be connected to the internet using gprs or a data call linked up to my laptop via IR? If i do connect to the internet via my fone do i do so through my standard ISP?
    Yes, you can use the IR port on the laptop to use the 8310 as a modem to connect to the net. Not too sure on the whole GPRS thingy, though. You can go through your standard ISP.

2. If i do connect to the internet using gprs or a data call on my 8310 what kinda connection speed could i get? Can i then connect to the internet anywhere my fone has decent enough service?
    If you use the standard dial-up, you can get speeds of up to 43kbps. I only manage 38.4 on my 6310 for some reason, but it is sufficiently fast for me. Yes, you can then connect to the net wherever you can get a signal (there is something sadly entertaining about reading you e-mail on the beach)

Don't know enough about bluetooth to say for certain, though being a newer technology, I would imagine it is.

Yes, remote controls for the TV and bright sunshine can interfere (see my note on the beach above). Your data is safe, the only interference is the data rate between the laptop and phone will drop.

5. Would i be best forgetting about connectin to the internet with a fone and just buy the nokia card phone and plug it into my laptop?
    I don't see why - they both do the exact same thing. Besides, you can make voice calls with the phone. You might look a little silly holding a PC card up to your ear...

Yes, it's the exact same concept. I did it with a Compaq ipaq.

7. Can i retrieve my standard POP3 email provided by my isp on my fone using gprs or wap?
    You certainly can, though most ISP's do not allow this via WAP. I know vodafone down here do, but that's to encourage you to use your mobile phone.

Increase the bank balance of the mobile phone companies! It is really a stepping stone to 3G, the third generation mobile phones (if you are confused now...). It allows data to be transferred - it is really another way of accessing the internet. So, in theory, anything you can do on the net, you can do it via a mobile device connected via GPRS.

Not too hot on this either...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by Jester
    Right o, ive got quite a few questions so ill just cut to the chase.
    Jeese cheese, that's a lot of questions.

I won't bother quote properly cause it's too much effort

---
    ---

You can connect your phone to the laptop via ir. Win2000 might need a patch to run it/though if it has service pack2 it will be grand. You will need to install the software that came with the cd's. Specificly the modem driver. If you got no cd's have a look at the nokia website.

---
    ---

I think o2 provide support for connecting to the net via GPRS, but not vodafone as yet. If you connect via GSM, you will get 9600, or 14,400 on o2. If your phone has hscsd ( i don't think it does, but the cardhone and 62xx,63xx models do) then you can connect to vodafone/e-merge with 38,400bps

---
    ---

Yes.

---
    ---
    ? Possibly, would be very awkward, they would need physical access to the laptop to actually do any damage really...

---
    ---

no, I use a phone to connect my pc to the net at home. Very useful for email etc.

---
    ---

Yes. I've done this also with a handspring visor and it is even easier with palm os 3.5 pda's

---
    ---

I think so. Not sure.

---
    ---

Good question. Anyone ?

---
    ---

You are familiar with a lan i take it ? A wan is purely an extension of this concept, typicaly(sp?) the machines will be far away from each other in physicsal distance. They can be connected via any medium, leased line/wireless/satellite whatever. Predominantly a wan on these forum's is via wireless conncetions with 802.11b

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

hehe just beat me to it tom.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

lol, thank you very much tom and verb, you've been most helpful.

Sorry for asking so many questions but i want to clear up a lot of stuff :) was a bit confusing before your replies.

No more questions for a while anyways :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

4. Depends on if you've left the IR port open and you're in a public place such as a pub. More likely to happen with a phone than a laptop, in practice.

7. Yes. If you do so via WAP however, you'll have to use a WML 'Webmail' interface that logs into your POP3 account for you.

8. IRC, MMPG's, v-limited streaming, etc. off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Hi jester, I read in a previous post you were in N.I. so I take it your with Vodafone UK.

There are two main GPRS services from Vodafone UK:
    1) WAP access over GPRS
    2) Web (full internet) access over GPRS, what they call Vodafone Connect Me.

GPRS is included on all price plans, however, if you plan to use it regularly for WAP and particularly for Web (full internet) access you will should migrate to a GPRS Price plan that has a monthly subscription and inclusive data.

In order to have access to the Connect Me (full internet) service you need to make sure it is activated for your GPRS subscription. Give Voda UK customer care a call on 191 and select the GPRS option.

The GPRS Connect Me service offers you a connection manager for Laptop (PC), Pocket PC (e.g. iPAQ PDA), Palm OS (e.g. Palm PDA). There are user guides and downloads on the Vodafone UK site.
    http://www.vodafone.co.uk/
    Main Link: Service
    Side Navigation: GPRS, Web & WAP
    Side Navigation: Internet Access
    In page text link: Vodafone Connect Me

Aside: The Connect Me application was developed by Alice Systems for deployment by operators, the application gives you a front end to make a GPRS connection and allows you to monitor data usage (handy for seeing how much of your monthly inclusive data is used up).

You can also set a GPRS connection up manually, but that can be a laborious task, depending on what you are trying to connect with! Try the Connect Me route and Voda support first, if you are having no joy I'm sure you can get some help here.

I'd recommend you visit the Nokia site to check out the 8310 Product Support area for User Guides and any relevant Downloads for your phone.
    http://www.nokia.com/phones/productsupport/8310/index.html

As the lads covered most of your questions already, I'll just add any other bits...
    1. (b)Can the 8310 be connected to the internet using GPRS or a data call linked up to my laptop via IR?

Yup, both (see below)
    1. (c) If i do connect to the internet via my fone do i do so through my standard ISP?

When you have Web GPRS (full internet) access available you can connect your Laptop to the Internet over GPRS, ref: Vodafone Connect Me info above.

Alternatively, you can dial-up your ISP with a Circuit Switched Data (CSD) call (9.6kbits/s to 14.4kbits/s). If you can use High Speed Circuit Switched Data (HSCSD) on Vodafone UK, you could speed up the connection .to. For more information about HSCSD sometimes termed "High Speed Data" call Vodafone UK support. I've only have experience with HSCSD on Vodafone IRL so their set-up may be different.
    2. (a) If i do connect to the internet using gprs or a data call on my 8310 what kinda connection speed could i get?

GPRS: currently available at 40kbits/s (this varies, so more around the early 30kbits/s speed).
    CDS: (Regular GPS data call) between 9.6kbits/s or14.4kbits/s.
    HSCSD: A maximum of 43.2kbits/s, more likely 38.4kbit/s but sometimes 28.8kbits/s

Bluetooth can transfer more data than IR in the same amount of time (it has a higher data transfer rate). But in this situation, using the phone to connect to the Internet, they would be on a level footing, as the maximum you can connect at is around 40kbits/s, they would be as fast as each other at this speed.

You could find making an IR connection is easier then a Bluetooth one, as Bluetooth stability and ease (complexity!) of configuration still varies widely from vendor to vendor. It's great when it works, but sometimes getting it working can be troublesome. If the Bluetooth devices are from different vendors always see if they have tested interoperability or if anyone else has connected the two together successfully.
    6. Can I connect a PDA to my fone using IR and browse the internet from a PDA?

yup, if it has IR or Bluetooth (if it's an old PDA it may need a software upgrade) There are more PDA friendly sites appearing, some links in the do you gprs too? thread

depending on the handset, you can do POP email

if you connect your phone to a computer or PDA anything practical you can do in the internet at about 40kbits/s data rate (always having this in the back of you mind - I'm being charged for ever KB of data I'm receiving)
    Do you mean a Wireless Local Area Network, WLAN?
    whatis a Wireless LAN

HTH,
    Brian G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jester

Thanks loads for ur replies lads, uve cleared everything up for me :) . Before it all seemed like welsh, thanks for replying youve been most helpful :D

Advertisement