Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What should I do?

• 07-07-2002 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks

Time for me to seek advice.....

A few months back, a friend/work mate of mine told me he may be offered a big promotion and was dead excited at the prospect. I was genuinely pleased for him, as he would be perfect for the job - even though I would have loved it myself.

As he was a mate, I promised myself I wouldn't go for it when it came up. He subsequently left the company, but I found out on Wednesdat that the position is to be advertised his prospective new boss wants to re-hire him (she had lost his e-mail address, and asked me for it)

We've kinda fallen out of contact (an e-mail here and there), and the last one we did have was after I texted him to give a heads up that this woman might be contacting him. He texted me back and basically said "gee thanks" and that was about it.

So what should I do? After a reasonably long freindship and put in a situation like this, what would you do?

What should I do? 54 votes

Forget it..you made a promise
    0% 0 votes
    Go for it...he a loser
    1% 1 vote
    Talk to him, see if he still wants the job
    44% 24 votes
    You are a wuss..he's walking all over you..he knows you would like the job, and knows you would feel too guilty about applying
    31% 17 votes
    I don't care
    22% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

If this guy is a good friend, then something like this shouldn't get in the way of your friendship - especially if he's left the company. Go for it. Consider it a friendly rivalry if you want to see it that way; frankly, if he can't handle the competition, then you need to start questioning his motives here in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

the fact that the boss wants your friends email addresses is a good sign for your friend

imo, give the boss your friends email, if the person is a friend then they desrve it, but go for the job yourself and dont tell your pal...things could get messy

if you get the job (and congrats when you do!), then its a role reversal, and i hope your friend treats you with the same respect

Business and friendship are incompatible and should be kept seperate. Go for the job. It's nothing personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese and alls fair in love and war.

Go for the job yourself, i am sure he'd do likewise. Come on man think of the extra cash, you can always buy him a pint to make up for it and he'll say thanks and then you laugh out real loud in an evilish tone ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no thank you ha ha ha ha.

Well thanks guys,

I'm going to apply for the job, after advice from both here and from mates - the situation with my mate/friend is gonna be a bit complicated/messy (I didn't describe it very well in the original post), but every man for themselves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Good luck Buffy

Don't forget to login next time eh ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Wah wah

I tried! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LOUGHLIN

I do hope that you are not going to answer upon the results of a poll. If he is the guy for the job well that is that. You can also apply for the job at the same time (fiar and square) and it does not really matter who gets it because OFFICE LIFE is not real life. NEVER FORGET THAT. If you want something better use your present job to instruct you for your future job.

eh?

[The poll was slightly tounge in cheek, but the problem was a real one if thats what you mean..]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Go for it...., i mean if ye've kinda lost contact already......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Go for it for gods sake. He does not have exclusive rights to this job forever. Hopefully the best man (you) will get the job.

Yellum, I've gone for it so only time will tell. ;)

And darth, yup we were drifting apart anyway, so f**k it, why not methinks

I'm just too nice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Fingers crossed

Advertisement