Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work problem

Options
  • 04-07-2002 11:15pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was going to put this in the work forum but I think its more of a personal issue.Im a department manager(purchasing) in my job and recently another manager has started in a different department(sales).This was fine for about 6 months or so but recently(last 2 weeks or so) he has started questioning my authority/work practices.Now I can usually handle my self with an issue like this (basically tell these people to f**k off and look after their own dept)but the problem with this guy is that he is the managing directors son.He is sticking his nose into everything-my accounts,my sourcing of products and basically everything which does not involve him.He has even gone above my head with regards to buying his own products-which by company rules are supposed to be ordered/sourced by myself(hope Im making sense here).
    Any way what I want to know is-Should I stand up to this guy and tell him to mind his own business even though he is the MDs son.
    I do actually believe that the MD would not be too happy if he knew what his son was up to-but then again he may stick up for his own fles and blood.
    This job was the first job that I actually liked turning up for on a Monday morning but with all this s**t goin on I really feel like leaving.
    Any help as always is appreciated.Thanks,
    Richie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

It's not a very nice situation to be in, but I think you'll come out on top. This is what I would do:

I would report this unwanted activity to personnel immediately (even though he's the MDs son). Think of it this way, the MD has a company, he wants the company to run as best as it can. He hired his son, and gave him a role. The son is using his personal relationship with higher authority (ie his father) as a way to grant himself a higher authority within the business. But my point is that Business is business, and personal is personal, the two don't intertwine. But the MDs son seems to think it does. This proposes a problem to the company, because there are clearly two things wrong.
    1. You have a problem, therefore the company has a problem
    2. The MD's son is abusing the system, by corrupting it's workforce structure
    I wouldn't ever find myself in a situation where I would tell another manager to **** off. I would go strictly by the book, and report the matter through the correct channels. For business to work, there are strict rules. It basically boils down to the fact that he is not obiding the rules of the business, and is preventing you from carrying out your designated work.

I don't think you need to be worried. Because if the father has a problem with you reporting a matter that proposes a problem within his business, well then, he shouldn't be MD!, and you are probably working for the wrong company ;)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If the guy already knows you're getting pissed off with him, don't confront him directly - have a quick word with the MD and see what the craic is (don't mouth off to him about his son, make your point politely). If he genuinely seems not to realize he's intruding, have a quiet (friendly) word with him first. Whatever happens, try to make your feelings heard without getting on the bad side of either of them (that's the tricky part...).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hmmm try to make my feeling heard without getting on eithers bad side-easier said than done.As for telling the other guy to F off-in the company its a lot more casual than that.Everyone used to get on with everyone else and when someone stepped on another managers toes it was not unusual to sort out problems without the help of the personell dept.Until now.And this is probably the reason Im posting here-Usually problems are sorted by the people involved and unlike this particular problem I dont know exactly how to approach it.
    Ive never been in a situation like it before.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

ya Richie, but if I understand it correctly, you cannot approach the MD's son easily and sort it out. I would go to the MD and ask him straight out if he is unhappy with your proformance, I would also ask him if his son has authority over you. If he says no to this, then tell him you used to love this job but you are in awkward position now, you want to stay here but you need this sorted out. You do not want the son getting to his Da with his side of the story, this is why I'd go direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Send an email to the Operations Manager detailing one or two of these abuses by the bosses son - CC both the bosses son and HR. Ask in the email that you require clarification on your role in light of these events as you do would prefer to avoid future overlaps/misunderstandings. Be sure that the tone of the email is not accusing him of going over your head, but that there's been some misunderstanding.

That should force the issue without you looking like the bad guy. Then lobby both the Operations Manager and HR (verbally, not in writing and in a social enviroment, such as a pub, if you can), that realistically the current situation is interfering with both your job and company efficiency.

Chances are he'll have rubbed them up the wrong way too and his athourity will be redefined accordingly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I work for a company that is primarily owned by three brothers all of whom work in the firm, and has one of their wives, one brother in law and one son working in it as well - so I know my way around nepotism.

In the situatuion of him making purchases, were I you I would tell the son politely but firmly (you know, like admonishing a dog) that he can't do that, it'e your job, and if he does it agian you'll have no choice but to give a written complaint to the personnel officer ond MD.

No one in theri right mind wants anything crap written down, and if you are forced to do that, his father will have to take notice. The key here though is to be as professional as possible, and document your trail.

as an aside, I presume your using an order number system, make sure you are the only one who handles that or your assistent. Who has the power to sign off on purchase orders? Lock that down. And inform all suppliers that they won't get paid without a proper purchase order including number

Hope it helps good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Hell , next time just give him the whole ordering list and just kick back.

Is the guy ambitious or a prick ? I mean does he realise what he is doing ?
    If your suppose to be doing the purchasing and he messes it up chances are that you would end up taking the fall as its your responsibility - you might want to sort it quick before it has a bad effect for yourself/career.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep that right Merc Im in a main dealer and it is the sales manager who Im having probs with.As you say he is trying to source parts(not always genuine)at the right price without regards for the distributors rules regarding non-genuine parts.And since we are the biggest dealer this year in parts(up 70% on last year)I cant be seen using non-genuine parts.I had a word with my boss(not the md) today about all this and he has told me to let it continue but note everything in an email to him(keep a record so to speak).
    So I have.
    Ive been told that once a record has been kept of his actions then I am 100% safe and no action will be taken against me.He also told me that he WILL f**k up and then it will all come to a head.
    Ive also discovered that when he sources products through his own routes he is selling them on at the wrong mark up.There by showing a decrease in profit of about 20-30%.He is aso not using official company purchase orders-which basically shows that he IS going over my head.Ive also noted this in an email to my boss.
    Jesus I cant wait until all this is out in the open;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LOUGHLIN

Hi,

The first thing you should know is the reason for the MDs son doing what he is doing.

Is he looking for a promotion by undermining someone else
    Is he jealous (you may not see why but jealousy is a strange thing)

Have you read the books by Edouard de Bono and Tony Buzon

De Bonos one on the hats is very very good for this type of problem. If you have time go to the management side of the book shop and have a look around, these type of books can help a lot.

Do not forget, YOU ARE A MANAGER, this is one of the nasty things that managers have to deal with. IF you can not get help in the company do not hesitate to pay for an hours service of a Managment Consultant on the subject. It is worth the money.

Just one thing do not confront the son or the dad until you have things sorted out in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Shane

Just go to the MD and say that other staff have been complaining too! Mind you, I've never been and hope never to be in your situation. Just be polite when you do it. I'm sure the boss will just tell his son to stop. If you're good at your job, you won't get any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

First thing, does the MD dote over his son? Chances are however that the MD does care about the company. I'd say you'd have to have a quiet word with him. He probably isn't blind and like any good MD should be picking up some vibes about it. The son sounds a little spoilt to be honest.
    It would be better I think to talk to the MD than confront the son and have him running to daddy. You sound like a good worker so the MD should listen to you. If he doesn'y value you, chances are it would be best for you to move anyway.

Advertisement