Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Blackout During World Cup Final

Options
  • 01-07-2002 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

Listening to Cork's 96FM this morning, there were many irate callers from Cork's southside, complaining that the cable system blacked out during yesterday's World Cup Final.

Chorus issued an apology, saying someone severed an underground cable. The callers highlighted the customer service as being a joke. Many were considering switching to Sky, although it was commented on about the blnk screens during GAA matches.

Chorus's reputation just sinks lower and lower.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

This was also the case in a few estates in Navan, luckily I do also have Sky which saved the day. Not so the case for a good number of my neighbours who I happily let watch it!! Agreed Chorus are setting new standards in the quest to provide a hopeless service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No problems with the final in Limerick.

TBH I only half watched it while readnig the paper but GF went soccer mad during the World Cup and would have screamed if it had gone off.

I've noticed a lot of problems lately with Sky Premier in particular (and always during the Sat night movies - which is when you would be expected to watch/tape whatever's on)

It's been so bad that we're happy to dump Chorus regardless of how long we'll be in the flat - have to sort it out soon (don't know if being on the second floor will cause problems with getting Sky Digital installed though)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by sceptre
    It's been so bad that we're happy to dump Chorus regardless of how long we'll be in the flat - have to sort it out soon (don't know if being on the second floor will cause problems with getting Sky Digital installed though)

better check with the landlord first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 RG59

hi all,
    I would just like to ask why you are blaming chours for a problem which was not there fault? Im shure they repaired the cable as soon as they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

RG59 - you're missing the point.
    If you subscribed to Chorus for many years like I once did, you just reach the point of no return. From excuses to cut cable, power blackouts, faulty equipment, lightning strikes, etc etc., coupled with abysmal customer service....

I don't even want to go there - I no longer have the energy or interest.

One of the callers to 96FM was a publican who had about 200 people in the pub when Chorus went off. They all left the pub immediately and went somewhere else.

If you look at the number of forum threads on Chorus these days, it's rather pathetic. I think that about sums it up. Very few, if anybody cares anymore.

Sky, plus my UK card give me all the channels I need - with no breakdowns or ridiculous excuses. I'ved moved on....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was affected by that outage in Ballinlough in Cork, as was Bishopstown, but I've noticed that these outages are getting more frequent recently. In the last few weeks, we've had at least one outage a week, and just today Chorus has been offline in my area all day - it's still off. Not only is the network down, but the support staff are literally lying to the customers: I lodged a complaint just a short while ago, because someone else in our road was told that they (Chorus) couldn't act on their complaint as a general outage, because they had no other complaints; yet when I complained, I was told the exact same thing. And the latest I hear is that Chorus are saying that the outage was caused by someone digging the road in the area, which is becoming a suspiciously common excuse.

All of this leaves me wondering:

- Is this a localised thing, or is it happening all over the country?
    - Is this tied to Chorus' cable Internet rollout?
    - Can the Regulator "take back" the price increase Chorus was given?

adam

I do notice all the complaints about chours, they seem not too worried about ppl moving to sky. Although i know it is hard to keep watching all your cables its not common for them to be dug up so much. Does anybody know what actually happenes when someone 'digs up a cable'? Does anybody here work for chours?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nobody has asked the obvious yet, so I'll step up....

Who the hell would cut a cable when the World Cup Final is on??

A Sunday afternoon, 1pm? Pull the other one...

'A Sunday afternoon, 1pm? Pull the other one...'

Somebody digging up a foothpath on a quiet day. Ive pulled a cable at 8pm on a main st (which was dug on a sunday) A street cant be dug up with crowds of ppl walking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Its my first time tuning into this particular thread, and I was interested to see how Chorus was getting on ( they dont appear to have improved a lot). I have chorus for the reason of getting UTV & Channel 4 and I have applied to get a BBC FTV card, so if I can get used to flicking betwwen two cards (ie: Sky & FTV) . I will probably keep my RTE, TV3 aerials. However if I make too many changes, the household tends to get a bit angry with me, especially my wife- any sugestions? dont reply: "get rid of the wife"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

Get Rid Of the Wife !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Originally posted by RG59
    'A Sunday afternoon, 1pm? Pull the other one...'

Somebody digging up a foothpath on a quiet day. Ive pulled a cable at 8pm on a main st (which was dug on a sunday) A street cant be dug up with crowds of ppl walking on it.

I'm not doubting that work could've been happening.... But you dont work on a Chorus cable when one of the biggest football matches are on. It is akin to digging when a Champion's League game is on, you also affect the Corrie viewers too.

And, indeed, proper workmen would've been watching the game and not working then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Originally posted by DamoDMC
    proper workmen would've been watching the game and not working then :D

i think that rules out work being done at that time!:D :D

Advertisement