Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minority Report is...

Options
  • 27-06-2002 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭

...good, in fact pretty damn good.

Probably the best film so far this year.

Though its pretty funny seeing the American audiences here oohing and aahing the plots twists that you figured 10mins early.

Top marks to Spielberg/Cruise & Co and goo see it as soon as it comes out in ireland.

P.S. They had the Daredevil trailer on before it and it looks bad, really really bad. Ben Affleck just looks silly in a really crappy red suit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Read a bad review on AICN last week, but most other reviews I've read were very positive.

Its out here next Thursday.... looking forward to it!

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Saw it at a press show last week. It's excellent & not at all Spielberg-ish or Cruise-ish (well maybe a little Cruise-ish, but you can't have everything).

Effects are wonderful, storyline is great, Colin Farrel is fantastic.

Great movie - Go See.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Mmmmm, only a week to go :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I wasn't planning to go see it (I REALLY don't like Tom Cruise)

However I am swayed by the fact it is written by Phillip K Dick, the guy who wrote Blade Runner. And if it's not a very Tom Cruise movie I might as well give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by SofaKing

P.S. They had the Daredevil trailer on before it and it looks bad, really really bad. Ben Affleck just looks silly in a really crappy red suit.

Bugger, i didnt want to hear that.

Looking forward to Minority Report, should be a good'un..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

It's very good! I'm definitely not a Tom Cruise fan, but ole' shortstop himself came across very well in this - actually, so did just about everyone. Spielberg has rescued himself from the edge of the abyss (which he parked himself on with the release of "A.I.", IMHO - admittedly he didn't start the project, so that's probably not fair).

Very interesting premise for the whole thing; good storyline, it's unlikely (if, like me, you haven't read the book) that you'll predict all the twists and turns. Some funny moments (watch out for the "eyeball chase", and the interactive adverts), the whole thing looks fantastic, and overall it's well worth shelling out a few shekels to see.

In my own humble opinion, of course...
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

went to see it on saturday morning in the savoy, not a fan of mr cruise but the film was well cool, agatha scared the **** out of me very cool twists well worth seeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Is it really worth going to see? Cos i really hate crusie, fair Fl_lCKS to colin farrell, he has really done well since ballykissangel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...I know, Caesar_Bojangle, I'm in the same boat; I'm far from a fan of Tom Cruise myself, but the movie is definitely worth going to. I was at the same screening as phoenix2181, and it was the first movie I've seen in a while that I wasn't able to predict all of the plot twists; while this makes me sound like an absolute gobsh*te, what I mean is that feeling maybe 30 seconds before that significant something happens where you can see it coming.

It's worth a visit - no maybes about that. It's not a mad action flick, or anything like that, but more of a suspense-and-intrigue number.

(Actually, I think that Colin Farrell is a bit of a fool - saw him interviewed while drunk at least once - but he was good in this too... for as long as he lasts :rolleyes: )

However, don't blame me if you hate it ;)
    Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

went to see it yesterday
    enjoyed it,thought it was excellent
    allthough it is the first i've seen in the cinema all year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Great flick, but my GOD, the amount of product placement. A little PP doesnt really bother me but this entire film seemed to be a vehicle for company logos. Lets see, I remember seeing;

Nokia
    Ben & Jerrys
    Pepsi
    Fox
    Lexus
    Gap

And as if that wasnt enough, when leaving the cinema I was given Lexus promotional materials aswell!

A taste of things to come perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Lex is right, loads of advertising built in. I thought it was ok, typical summer blockbuster action movie, don't expect anythingmore from it. It's like Mission impossible, the matrix and memento rolled into one with a few car and spaceships borrowed from attack of the clones and a speilberg happy ending for good measure :)

Enjoyed spiderman and attack of the clones a lot more, to name but 2 movies this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Loved this flick to bits. I expected an action movie and was pleasantly surprised by a thoughtful, intelligent film noir sci-fi; the comparisons with Blade Runner are definitely not out of place.

Cruise is superb, I just wish he'd had more screen time with Colin Farrell because the sparks that flew when the two of them were on set together were fantastic. Both excellent actors.

The product placement shocked me a little with its blatantness, and then I realised that that's the POINT. The film features a neon future covered with advertising and with people's personal privacy invaded in the name of selling them products; and by god but it conveys that well. It's all the more unsettling when it's the same brandnames we know and recognise now.

Oh, and this film wins the award for "flick with the most tech I want". The "conductor" computer display; the compressed air shotgun; the sick stick; the pseudo-3d holograms... the mag lev cars.... It's a scary future that it predicts, but by god it's a propellor heads dream :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The reason for so much p.p is due to the fact that they got $25 million for p.p alone, thats was some much needed cash the producers couldnt turn down, with cruise alone costing $20 million.

Boomcha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Agree with the Shameless Advertising. Supposedly there was 15 different companies with product placement rights. The only other ones I can think of off hand are Guinness and Burger King.

--
    On a another point. if I had any criticism of Speilberg is that he cannot *finish* a film without bucket loads of sentimentality and happy ever after overtones. Its quite annoying actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Very nicely done. Its not really an action film at all, more a detective story, though it does run out of steam near the end Its got a good Phillip K Dick concept, and Cruise is pretty good, playing a chaacter a lot darker than usual. Nicely shot as well, really grimy and grey. Kudos to Spielberg for a totally gratuitous snot shot with Peter Stormare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

not a bad film, not a great film. visually interesting, not just the gedgetry but the actual lighting of some of the scenes. but the plot just doesn't withstand more than a cursory examination.

all they've taken from the dick short is a character's name, a title, the precogs and the concept of precrime. the rest is pretty much there own (well, except the bits where he's doffing his cap to the likes of clockwork orange).

the product placement - $25m revenues! - is meant to be part of the imagined future, ever more direct, invasive advertising, but he shoulda used fake brands.

the spielberg touches - those bloody cutesy plants etc - are annoying. and the simple fact is spielberg does not know where to end a film. not only is the last scene redundant, the whole last act could haved been lost.

is not as good as either version of blade runner. it is marginally better than total recall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

SweetBird has the right of it. An interesting and entertaining film up to a point then descending into boring cliche, schmaltz and Speilberg's traditional self indulgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

excellent. really enjoyable film....and truley made me jump at some points!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Saw it Saturday and have to say i thought it was fantastic!!
    Im sitting there and lookint at the movie and the music.. wow... sounds familiar i know that style... It HAS to be John Williams... and sure enough it was...

Spielberg rules.. Tom Cruise is actually very enjoyable to watch in it and Farrall is cool... one of the best Irish actors... he manages not to sound Irish in his films for one thing!!

Great movie, great story... very Bladerunner which is not surprisng since its from the same writer!

The scene where he gets his eyes changed reminded me of my laser surgery!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Great flick, but my GOD, the amount of product placement. A little PP doesnt really bother me but this entire film seemed to be a vehicle for company logos. Lets see, I remember seeing;

A taste of things to come perhaps?

I think the point was a future where there is no escape from this stuff and no privacy. So I think Mr. Spielberg was pretty clever in getting the sponsors in and then using the film to stick a sly knife in the ribs.

You know, what Bladerunner came out I remember that people were delighted to see the authenticity of having real adverts - It's SO COOL to be brand suspicious these days isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

good afternoon mr. yokamota. how are those tank tops you purchased last time?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thought it was OK - a few good plot twists and some nice picture/visual work. Time to for a few funnies and a few jumpies (my viewing partner jumped more than once ;))

Overall, not the greatest flick I've ever seen and I could probably have waited to see it on DVD, but I'd still recommend it if there's nothing better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It was quite good. It lacked a certain subtlety and the plot was a bit meandering.

Spielberg needs to cut down on sentamentality like he did with Shindlers and condense his films down to less than 2hours.

Minority was surprisingly similar to Vanilla Sky. Vanilla Sky was flawed too but I preferred it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I dunno... Spielberg's sentimentality works when he doesn't lay it on with a shovel. Sure, the last five seconds or so of Minority Report is a bit much... But the sentimentality in the rest of it is actually quite dark, a lot darker than he's done previously except perhaps in Schindlers List.

Some people have complained about the "there was so much love in this house" scene, but I personally thougt that was amazingly well done... One of the cruelest and simultaneously best moments I've seen in cinema in a long time is when
    she says "but he's only six years old" and you see the expression on the parents faces...

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

my GOD, the amount of product placement
    have you seen Castaway? One giant FedEx add :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 leapord

minority report was fkin good whith all the special fx and the eye swap and ohh it was fkin great best move i have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Minority report was very good. Loved the plot twist, really didn't see them coming until about ten seconds before they occured, music was very Star Wars (the factory chase bit) and there was some good creepy moments. Could have done without the overt sentimentality of the ending and a more dramatic resolution.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by pauldeehan
    music was very Star Wars (the factory chase bit)

hehe, the music of the Star Wars films and Minority Report were both composed by John Williams.

I thought the film was very, very good. Had my complete attention the entire way through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement