Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Body Odour

• 25-06-2002 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine... okay I admit it, it's me.

I have a problem with BO, its not a huge problem, I shower daily, and use deodourant, so most people don't know, but every day without fail, by the end of the day there is a little whiff of BO from me pits, this p1sses me off!

Now like I say, its not a huge problem because the smell is kept to a minimum by my daily showering, but I was wondering if there was anything further I could do, is there a medical solution to the problem, and would shaving my pits make them any less smelly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you sure your not being to fussy? BO is natural... it cant be avoided completely and unless you stink then no.. if its just a case you smell it then ignore it!

At best you might want to try different clothing.. you may be getting too hot or your clothes might not be letting enough air in..

Shaving your armpits will probably make it worse..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I had the same problem a while ago from 15 years until 22 or so. I was called "Smelly" at school!
    Shaving your pits wont help much.

I recommend regular exercise to sweat out on a regular basis. I used to wear coats and too much clothes so I switched to underdressing which also helped.

Sorry, I'm not sure why my BO stopped - I guess my hormones had a lot to do with it. (i have no hormones now!)

(Oh, and Baz_ you owe me a deutschmark for posting in PI! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Ehhh here's my theory, tis probably a load of BS but hear me out. I reckon drinking more water than you drink now ( r.d.a is 5 litres a day ) will dilute the sweat that you excrete. A load of BS I think you'll agree :rolleyes: I hang my head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by Gordon
    (Oh, and Baz_ you owe me a deutschmark for posting in PI! ;))

You Know what Gordon, I even have a Deutschmark that I can give you :)

I wish I had no hormones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Baz_

You Know what Gordon, I even have a Deutschmark that I can give you :)

I wish I had no hormones.

This thread has gone all nostalgic! Talking about a dead currency.. gone with the good ole punt...

Hey remember in Irish class it was like fiche punt and so on.. whats Irish for Euro? Or os it just Euro.. ah dont mind me im just rambling.. boredom and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Actually, there is a direct correlation between BO and the food you eat.

A suggestion might be a course of Flouressense, available in any good health shop - follow the instructions. It's a detox course, no durgs involved, so it'll onlydo good things for ya, and then drink plenty of water.

It can be combatted - I used to be similar but went on a major detox as I found I was allergic to yeast and a host of other stuff. BO is quite often produced by excess yeast in the diet, certainly in the case of daily recurring BO.

Try it...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

also, cotton is the best material for allowing your skin to breath - anything with nylon, pollyester, lycra etc... will make the best of us stink in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you're really worried, Nivea do little sachets of deodorant wipes. Very discrete, fit in your pocket, and nice and refreshing.

Not a fix (all the other posts are much more helpful), but still pretty handy when you're stuck up sweat creek without a deodorant stick/spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Baz_ : Drinking a lot more water would, I imagine, help dilute the smell. Also, have you tried cutting down salt in your diet?

If all else fails you can get prescription anti-persperant, which basically blocks the pores under your arms, although I'm not sure how healthy it is, remember the scares there were over the aluminium content of deodorants causing cancer of the lymph nodes...

Sweat in general pisses me off no end. I never get BO even without deodorant but sweaty pits...eurgh!

ANd as for Mr Dictionary...BAN HIM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

oops...that unreg'd post was me. Sorry...wasn;t logged in at the time

Yeah...it has a lot to do with diet. And yes, as an Enlgish Lit graduate, for the sake of sanity, please ban Mr. Dictionary!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i know Boots do a pill that is supposed to combat body odours like sweating and bad breath
    i think its called body fresh

eth0: that myth has been dispelled. You cannot get cancer from deoderants. Your body is covered in pores and therefore the sweat can be excreted from all of them - not just under the arms. The reason we notice sweat under the arms is because they are pretty air-tight crevices and the sweat is unable to dry and so accumulates.

I've never heard of a medical anti-perspirant - why don't you ask your GP?

I would reccommend keeping a spare shirt ot t-shirt with you and a deoderant spray at all times - this will not solve any problems but at least you may feel a tad more comfortable.

DONT SHAVE!!!Your armpit hair is there for a reason and that could make the smell worse. Also if your using anti-perspirant stop, this could be causing all the sweat to become trapped. If it's a dermatological problum then there is a dandruff shampoo on the market called "nizoral" and it is very good at clearing up skin problums. If nothing works, ask you GP and he sould be able to help. Good luck. Kris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

i had that problem when i was in first year when i cycled to school i smelled so bad even though i showered each morning and night, i heard a few guys slag me about it which is the worse feeling because you cant help it and people just assume you were too lazy to wash. Thank god it only lasted a year.

I tackled the b0 problem by carrying a deodorant in my sKoOl bag and would use it when i got to sKoOl, stopped wearing a t-shirt under my shirt which really helped(cut down on heavy jumpers shirts etc swap em for something lighter), i even went as far as shaving under my arms (such a bitch) it helps a slight bit but you can actually feel the sweat under your arms without the hair:( but if you shave it, it grows back slightly thicker so you are going to have to keep shaving. Anti- per deodorant is supposed to be worse as it blocks your pores which is bAd :( .

Or you could be a man as men are supposed to smell and have hairy arms, everyone smells. You could even put some aftershave on your neck, wrist, arms and back, i am sure this would help as these arent exactly the major sweating zones of the body they would hopefully remain nice and fresh throughout the day combatting the smell of b0 from the smelly regions.

Other than that go to your doctor or if you are slightly overweight/unfit lose some weight/get fit.

Originally posted by Baz_
    would shaving my pits make them any less smelly.
    At most, try a wee trimming once in the summer, sometimes hair does trap sweat and smell for quite sometime.

The the recommended amount of water is 1.5 liters (about 3 pints) per day, not 5. Do not count beer and tea & coffee n stuff in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Does it really smell that bad?
    Has anyone passed a comment to you about it? Could just be that manly musk baz :D and the girls love it :D

One of my x's asked me not to shower one morning because my armpits smelt sweet, funny it may sound but I think you may just be worrying too much, or do you honestly think you smell bad?

Here's another good example :D

Outside a club on a wee island off the coast of France and a couple of teenage girls are wandering around the groups of blokes playing a little game, guessing what deodorant/aftershave blokes are wearing from the smell.
    When they passed by me and one or two lads they guess one or two then say "mmmm what does it smell of over here", and me not being in a particularly good mood replies "nothing" (because I wasn't wearing any deodorant etc.) To my surprise then one of the girls turned to me and says "hmmm pure natural man", me being half shy and feeling a bit awkward (17 at the time) replied with a smile and we hit it off from there ;)

Have you tried any of the lightly perfumed soaps? Try not wearing any deodorant and as someone else said above, try use a deodorant, not an anti perspirant as they are no good for you.

Carry a spare t-shirt and some skin wipes with you if you really are worried about it though.

Any chance you could build up the courage to ask someone to tell you they're opinion on the matter :o preferably a nice lady :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Outside a club on a wee island off the coast of France and a couple of teenage girls are wandering around the groups of blokes playing a little game, guessing what deodorant/aftershave blokes are wearing from the smell.

sorry for the off topic post, but that is just messed up. seriously...

Well there's a lot of messed up things going on and if you think that's messed up I have to say wake up and live a little.....

it was funny, it was like humanity in it's purest form, did you forget to read the part where I mentioned teens?

It was a drunken laugh......don't see what's so messed up about that.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if I went around the local nightclub and starting sniffing at all the girls i doubt it would be treated so casually... :)

lol :)

Maybe not, have you tried? :D

You never know....

I'm pretty sure if you did this in a playful manner between yourself and a mate or two you could be pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.

surely they would be less offended to you guessing their perfume than say a pinch on the bum or something as silly like complimenting her on her cup size ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

How much coffee or tea do you drink in a day. For a lot of people excess drinking of coffee or tea gives bo - if you do drink either stop for two days which iwll be enough for you to find out whether it is that or not.

hi if u go to a chemisit like boots, u can get a good medicated deoderant without perscription. Perspirex is its name its a little expensive but very good, theres also one called Driclor which is about the same.Try it out there good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭walt

When I used have BO problems I used to drink a cup of soap mixed with water every morning. It worked a treat. It may sound crazy but it will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LOUGHLIN

I agree with the coffee thing - too much coffee can give a very wierd body oder. Can you reply on that one , do you drink a lot of tea or coffee every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

Originally posted by Mordeth
    if I went around the local nightclub and starting sniffing at all the girls i doubt it would be treated so casually... :)

They have different rules in France, trust me! lol ;)

Advertisement