Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a tattoo

• 20-06-2002 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm getting my first tattoo and am looking for a clean, safe tattoo parlour in/near the city center. Anyone recommend anywhere?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

city... as in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry, yes Dublin City center :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A mate of mine runs his own place in Finglas village.If you PM me Ill give you his phone no. as I dont think that forum rules allow me to push a particular company on these boards(GORDON?).If you do decide to use my m8, Hes definately one of the cleanest I have ever seen even insisting that the ERHA inspected his shop and issue a certificate of hygene.I know that these certs mean nothing in reality but the fact that he insisted on getting it inspected at all shows that his customers safety is number one.Hes done most all of mine and also all my piercings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

i have 3 tattoos and i get them done by a guy called Bren, he is in town, i can give you directions but am usless at street names, i believe it is on maybe talbot road the goad accross o'connel street oposite grafton street, he is about 10 doors down on the left.

pm me if youd like more details.

his studio is fantastic, ill be going back soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I was actually considering getting one myself. Where are the pain regions on the body, to avoid tattooing at all costs? What are the removal options like if i proceed and it turns out sh**.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If anyone's interested, I got mine done in Ballina in Mayo and it's amazing. One of my mates has had ink done in several places around the country (2 or 3 of them in Dublin) and she said he's definitly the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Got mine done in a place also called Brens but off Gardener street above a camera shop. Skilled artists, very clean and safe and good advice on how to make sure it doesn't go all scabby. If I get another one or my current one extended I'm definitely going back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

I get mine done in a place just off Henry Street. They are pretty reputable, but there not the cheapest. If you can find tattoo artists they are a lot better, I knew a guy in Long Island who did all his tattoos free hand, and they were amazing, whereas the guys who do mine here use carbon copy paper. With regards to removing them, if you are already thinking about that before you get one, then dont bother getting one. Get something you will be happy with for the rest of your life, not something that is just a fad at the moment for you.
    A friend of mine got a big band on his arm in Amsterdam 2 years ago and already it has become patchy, so try and watch out for shoddy work and reccomendations of other people.
    My plan at the moment, when I get back to Florida is to get a big one from the center of my back going around my shoulder blades and just reaching out the base of my neck. Am gonna make up my own design with a tattoo artist, they are real good over there.
    Good luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    I was actually considering getting one myself. Where are the pain regions on the body, to avoid tattooing at all costs? What are the removal options like if i proceed and it turns out sh**.

Areas with bone right under 'em, skin is stretched tight, oh the pain!!!111 Also the underside of your arm, as in the part that wouldn't have to face the elements should you find yourself naked.

As regards removal, well just make sure you've picked the right artist, and the right design, that should ensure you won't want to be rid of it for lack of quality. If you are happy with the design but just don't want it anymore, then reach for the cheesegrater, coz laser treatment aint cheap :P

this is the place i was talking about.

he siad the funniest tatto he ever did was a single black dot as the girl went screaming out of the place!!!!!!
    Originally posted by amp
    Got mine done in a place also called Brens but off Gardener street above a camera shop. Skilled artists, very clean and safe and good advice on how to make sure it doesn't go all scabby. If I get another one or my current one extended I'm definitely going back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by Jackoman
    I get mine done in a place just off Henry Street. They are pretty reputable, but there not the cheapest. .

The place in Gardiner St is gone a long time ago now, I think that's the guy who moved to Talbot st. Personally I wouldn't like to stay in Talbot st for the length of time it takes to get inked :-)

The place off Henry St is definitely NOT reputable! I went in there once and I was disgusted, you have to sit for your tatt in full view of the customers, the 'artists' themselves were girls who looked about 17 year old, and the 'manager/head artist' was covered in the worst tattoo's i've ever seen, and had a very bad case of the shakes!

I've never seen a good tattoo from that place, they're scratchers.

Sacred Art in Fownes st in Temple bar are fantastic, they work by appointment and I think they charge 50 an hour, which *is* cheap considering the quality of their work.

Also, Snakebite in Middle Abbey st have a guest tattooist in this week, an Italian guy, he's supposed to be very good.

Or you could go down to the Middleton tattoo convention in cork this weekend and see some REAL tattooists in action, unlike most of the charlatans in Dublin.

Richie18 - where's this place in Finglas, i've never heard of it?

And as for removing them, it costs a bomb, about 5-7 thousand sterling! So think a lot about the design before getting it, in fact, try and get a henna tattoo done of it first to see how you like it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Fi the place in Finglas is Called D&M Tattoos.Its above Lowes estate agents on the main street.Run by a good friend of mine called Damien with his partner Monica(D&M).
    Also do piercing aswell,but definately the cleanest Ive ever used.That place off Henry st is called the Mint tattoo parlour.And in my opinion its filthy.You are in full view of everyone else who is queing to get their tattoo done.Ive even seen them smoking while tattooing.Im a smoker myself BTW.
    Another good place is BRENS(used to be on talbot street near the photo shop)but I think hes moved now.Very clean and does excellent work.
    Damien also does most of the work at the biker rallys during the "summer":mad: months.And again usually brings all the sterilising equipment with him.Im getting a cover up done next week with damien...some crappy tattoo I got when I was 17.
    But personnally I wouldnt use any else other than Bren.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Was thinking of getting my nick tatoo'd somewhere on myself - Possibly the inside of my arm.
    Am I a sad case!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

only if you get Mod: VAR, Game Editing tattooed next to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Mint Tattoo parlour - damn I always pick the worst places!!!!!
    Oh well, $hit happens!! Still I dont see what the big deal is getting it done in front of other people, only if its somewhere you dont feel like sharing with everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's not the open plan that's the crap bit, its the fact the artists are rubbish and the place is so dirty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

im planning on getting a tat on the underside of my forearm soon, a big enough one, goes from my elbow to my wrist
    theres a place on the bottom of capel st think its called dragon tattoosbut they are meant to be good, a mate who has loads gets all his stuff done there

bomb

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Originally posted by Gordon
    only if you get Mod: VAR, Game Editing tattooed next to it :D

Nah, VAR will be shown more than enough in my upcoming novel, and the GE Board speaks for itself... It's the RopeDrink part im concerned about :eek: :D;)

Bombidol-That place is on the right hand side of Capel street.Theyre fairly clean and theres one guy there-used to be tall,thin with long hair who`s work is excellent.Got my first done there and no fading or blotchiness.
    Richie.

Richie18, yes Bren used to be down that street on the right now he is nearer the top on the left in a very clean studio.

he has a waiting room and when you go through the doors each area is sectioned off for privacy.

personally i wouldnt mind ppl watching, but then i wouldnt be getting it done anywhere doggie!!!

i cant get my tattoo yet as i have no idea where to put it, although i have thedesign, its trying to work out where it will look the best in relation to others i have i dont want to look rediclius/!!!
    Originally posted by richie18
    Fi the place in Finglas is Called D&M Tattoos.Its above Lowes estate agents on the main street.Run by a good friend of mine called Damien with his partner Monica(D&M).
    Also do piercing aswell,but definately the cleanest Ive ever used.That place off Henry st is called the Mint tattoo parlour.And in my opinion its filthy.You are in full view of everyone else who is queing to get their tattoo done.Ive even seen them smoking while tattooing.Im a smoker myself BTW.
    Another good place is BRENS(used to be on talbot street near the photo shop)but I think hes moved now.Very clean and does excellent work.
    Damien also does most of the work at the biker rallys during the "summer":mad: months.And again usually brings all the sterilising equipment with him.Im getting a cover up done next week with damien...some crappy tattoo I got when I was 17.
    But personnally I wouldnt use any else other than Bren.

• Advertisement

Also Bren nor any of his staff will tattoo above the neck or byond the wrists.

dont know if this is the case with all parlours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Unregistered
    in fact, try and get a henna tattoo done of it first to see how you like it.

Great suggestion that, especially if you're only thinking about it. The obvious problem with tats as opposed to piercings is that they're effectively there for life. A trial period isn't a bad idea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Just under no circumstances get a BLACK henna tattoo done (the kind they do on Grafton st), it's not real henna, just a pile of dodgy chemicals and a lot of people react badly to it, it can cause permanent bleaching/scarring of the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I'd recommend Bren's place also,I used to go to him when he had his original shop in the lane beside Store street police station then he moved above the camera shop.
    He always ran a very clean shop.Back in my old skinhead when tattoo's went with the image we were some of his best customers,we were never out of the place.

Wherever you get your tattoo done just make sure it's clean and hygienic and that they can do the job properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sacred Art in Fownes st in Temple bar are fantastic, they work by appointment and I think they charge 50 an hour, which *is* cheap considering the quality of their work.

I saw these guys at the natioanl tattoo fair and their work was incredible. Bastards ignored me though so I went to another Dublin crowd : Miki Artattoo. Think they're in Rathmines.

Or you could go down to the Middleton tattoo convention in cork this weekend and see some REAL tattooists in action, unlike most of the charlatans in Dublin.

Most of them were from Dublin :)

Originally posted by RopeDrink
    Was thinking of getting my nick tatoo'd somewhere on myself - Possibly the inside of my arm.
    Am I a sad case!?

I've heard it hurts there - try your shoulder or something instead.

Advertisement