Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed Maths, now what ?

Options
  • 10-06-2002 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

I'm not to confident in what I will get from my maths results. Its not that I dont know the stuff but for some reason I blank up on the day (happened in mocks as well) I can just about recite the god damn formulas and anwsers to questions from my head after a exam but I just blank out!

Anyway lets assume I have failed maths can anyone tell me what my options would be ?

My courses are all computer related going from DCU, NCI, SIT(Sligo) ITT, DIT BIT(Blanch)

Does anyone know if these colleges would let you sit there course as long as you resit the next leaving maths exam and get the proper grade in it ?

I know one or two colleges do this towards Irish.

Or am I just screwed and doomed to either repeat or PLC (If they even take you after failing maths!!!)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Most PLC's require you you to pass O Maths, O English or Irish
    and 3 other subjects for computers..
    chance are, you stand a far better chance with a PLC if you fail maths, thye might let you in if you have an overal good LC, and then you resit it the following year,
    you apply for your course's through the CAO?
    If yea did, and yea failed maths, you won't get into any of those colleges.. and the CAO won't even pass on the info that you pass, even though the college's have it already..

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

When I failed Honours Maths I did a PLC for a year, while I repeated maths at night, simply because with the repeat maths I could reapply through the CAO for the courses I wanted, but IF I failed again , the PLC would allow me to 'link' to Degree courses...

One such course is Computer Science in Colaiste Dhulaigh (Coolock, Dublin). If you do 1 year, you walk away with a NCVA level 2 Certificate, if you do 2 years you get a NCVA level 3 Certificate. Having completed 2 years, they have 'links' with the computer science degree in the DIT, and are currently trying to establish a link with Comp Apps in DCU (2 of your CAO choices?). Colaiste Dhulaigh also allows does evening classes for some leaving cert subjects, so if you intended to repeat, and take the PLC, you could do it in the same place (2 campuses, 1 bus, 5-10 mins apart).

I'm not sure what the fees are, I THINK it was £150 for the PLC, and £60 for the LC maths class for me.

I'd recommend you contact them for information as no doubt some aspects will have changed since I left. You can get contact details from the top of this page: http://www.colaistedhulaigh.ie/

If you need any more information feel free to PM me.

<edit> Acceptance to that PLC course was based on Interview - there were no fixed grade requirements, but I do they they count somewhat (duh!) </edit>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

oh my gooooood relax u didn't fail nobody can fail ordinary maths
    the only reason is they swap the questions around in higher level to stop people sticking to 1 particular question (more areas covered)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭eire_insane

i have done a good paper one in maths but when i got to paper two i did not do that well. Just want to know if i did happen to fail maths could i go back and just repeat maths and keep the points i got in this years leaving cert and then go to collage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Yeah you just gotta repeat one subject and they will add it on to your previous year's points.
    Is it true your total points must include irish, english & maths? I heard this today..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Most places you must have Ordinary Maths,
    Ordinary English or irish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Repli
    Yeah you just gotta repeat one subject and they will add it on to your previous year's points.

Thats not true.

Is it true your total points must include irish, english & maths? I heard this today..

No. You must have a pass or whatever the matriculation requirements are but your points come from your best 6.

But, if you pass maths, english, irish, you can repeat and you dont have to do those subjets again for matric. purposes and you can do pretty simple ones and get your A's - this is what a lot of people trying to get into medcine do.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

if you fail maths at higher or ordinary you can still do Arts @ UCD as they don't have a maths requirement of any kind... always worth putting it last on the CAO form.. just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I failed maths for the leaving cert the first time round yes i repeated because of that, most colleges have maths as a must subject.

If your planning not to repeat in all subjects most PLC courses allow you to do a course while you repeat Maths, English or Irish.

If you dont get a PLC course and your not doing anything for a year you better off repeating your LC.

Do not repeat it in your own school as you'll just feel as though you wont ever grow up do it on your own time and presure yourself rather then having teachers breathing down your neck for homework when you should be studing. You'll have a laugh with the people your repeating with as they're in the same boat as you. Also you can drop English and Irish if you want when you are repeating and take on a different subject or just keep it down to 5 subjects.

I hope you haven't failed and i am sure you will be fine.

I got a C2 in Honours maths the second time round (my feel good story lol).

However i must warn you if you do repeat you will never watch the news around this time of year because you're so sick of the F U C K I N G leaving. (All they talk about on the news (at the moment) is the LC and the World cup).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

Damnyanks: You can't go to DCU or Trinity whatsoever if you fail your maths but you can go to UCD, UCC, UCG, Maynooth etc, though obviously you can't do certain courses - like someone said you can do Arts but you can also do Social Science in UCD and I'm nearly sure you can do Law or some other similarly high points course. Go to their websites and have a look..

Eire_Insane: You probably passed, try not to stress too much. I was in the same situation as you this time last year but got a C2 (higher level) in the end and wasn't counting it anyway, but I know what it's like to feel like you've failed. I did a good paper one (last years was easy as I'm sure you've seen) but I did an absolutely crap paper two - I got 80 something% in P1 and 30sth% in P2, so don't dwell on how you screwed up P2 but how your great work on P1 will get you to the university you want to go to. After that, my next worry was that I wouldn't be able to handle the maths module in my course but I got 92 in it.. it was business maths and a piece of piss..

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but don't worry too much, things will work out in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ilovecheese

hey i need some help, can i just repeat maths on its own? if so where?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

In the same boat as me! I failed maths, doing a plc course and startin tomorrow! but i also get to repeat maths on the course as well!

Ask back at your old school! Think you just need to get some where, where you can repeat it like in your old school!

If ya can do that, just get grinds in maths for the year, then resit the exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Lenny wrote: »
    Most PLC's require you you to pass O Maths, O English or Irish

Really? I may have failed Ordinary Maths [I know, I know..], I'm not sure about Higher English and I'm pretty certain I may fail Ordinary Irish. I really don't want to have to go through second-level education again. I really can't perform in that environment.

This is going to cast a shadow over my entire summer =/.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Talk about ressing a thread from the dead! Em surely some PLC's must have changed over the years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Really? I may have failed Ordinary Maths [I know, I know..], I'm not sure about Higher English and I'm pretty certain I may fail Ordinary Irish. I really don't want to have to go through second-level education again. I really can't perform in that environment.

This is going to cast a shadow over my entire summer =/.

You don't know your results for English and Maths yet so don't let your suspected performance affect how you study/perform in the rest of your exams. Use your study break time wisely to find suitable PLCs just in case the results are not what you hope. Get your name down for these courses and beat the rush in August. There is always a back door into every career/degree and PLCs are often the way to go.
    I'm not sure if you intend to go to 3rd level, but if you do, you might consider a PLC first to ensure that the area is really one you want to go into. While the LC is the biggest thing in your life now, it really doesn't compare to 3rd level exams.
    Having said that, if you make an effort to write down all you know about a question, they really will try to pass you. An examiner does not want to fail students, especially in core subjects. You only have to look at the grade breakdown (published every year) to see that.
    My advice for your Irish exam (for what it's worth), use your time to prepare things that definitely come up which in my day was a letter/postcard or something. Read through your poetry etc and aim to do well on the general paper (comprehension etc. I can't remember if thats paper 1 or 2!). Try to go over some grammar and make an effort to speak Irish at home or with your friends until the exam. this may sound nerdy but it really works. You have to be thinking as gaelige rather than as bearla in the exam!
    All the best with your exams, and remember the LC in not the be all and end all and definitely does not define you as a person! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

There are special maths exams for entry to engineering and computer courses in UL and NUIG.

[url] http://www.nuigalway.ie/engineering/specialmaths.html [/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

i had a panic attack in the mocks and came out with 48%, and since youve covered more than me since the mocks i reckon youll be grand :D

Advertisement