Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Comic Do You Reccomend?

Options
  • 10-06-2002 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Which Comic would you recomend ?
    Mine first reccomendation is The Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.
    watchmen01.gif

The Watchmen is great with some memorable characters like,Rorschach, Nite Owl, Ozymandius,and Doctor Manhatten
    here are a few choice quotes
    It is the oldest ironies that are still the most satisfying: man, when preparing for bloody war, will orate loudly and most eloquently in the name of peace. This dichotomy is not an invention of the twentieth century, yet it is this century that the most striking examples of the phenomena have appeared. Never before has man pursued global harmony more vocally while amassing stockpiles of weapons so devastating in their effect. The second world war - we were told - was The War To End Wars. The development of the atomic bomb is the Weapon to End Wars.
    And yet the wars continue.
    Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire thread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
    The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

... and I'll look down, and whisper "No."
    In my opinion,Life is a highly overrated phenomenon. Mars gets on perfectly without so much as a microorganism. See: there's the south pole beneath us now... No life. No life at all, but giant steps, ninety feet high, scoured by dust and wind into a constantly changing topographical map, flowing and shifting around the pole in ripples ten thousand years wide. Tell me... would it be greatly improved by an oil pipeline?
    Thermo-dynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.
    And yet, in each human coupling, a thousand million sperm vie for a single egg. Multiply those odds by countless generations, against the odds of your ancestors being alive; meeting; siring this precise son; that exact daughter... Until your mother loves a man she has every reason to hate, and of that union, of the thousand million children competing for fertilization, it was you, only you, that emerged. To distill so specific a form from that chaos of improbability, like turning air to gold... that is the crowning unlikelihood. The thermo-dynamic miracle.

But the world is so full of people, so crowded with these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget... We gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from another's vantage point, as if new, it may still take the breath away.

Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly.

Dry your eyes... and let's go home.
    Why do we argue? Life's so fragile, a successful virus clinging to a speck of mud, suspended in endless nothing

even stan lee likes the watchmen (kind of) according to the Wizard #89
    Stan Lee "It's my all-time favorite comic book outside of Marvel. It's an absolutely unique story. It has great characterization, it's beautifully drawn, and there's a surprise on every page. It could be the best if only it were a Marvel book. 'Cause nothing's better than Marvel."
    :rolleyes:
    Twat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

For a new reader id recommend Sword Of Azrael, one of my favourite books ever, after that the first series of The Maxx Then The Invisibles.

Bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

The invisibles and watchmen are great, but don't forget The Dark Knight Returns. Turning point in blah blah blah, you've all heard it before ;)

If you are looking for a new book to start reading and are new to comics I would recomend any and all of the batman on-going comics, and Young JLA as two very good counterpoints.. You have the Dark Moody kickass style of Batman and the fun "we are taking the piss out of ourselves and still doing kick-ass stories" style of Young JLA. Then once you're hooked there is a whole world of Darkness, Deadpool, Gen 13 and then you start looking to the oldies, everything from the old preacher series (you WILL read this from start to finish.. you won't have a choice) and Sandman series (once the Big A stops writing, stop reading.. it's still good, but doesn't have the same Unff of the Main sotry line) to the newer lines like Hitman that have unfortunatly finished..

Woah.. all I wanted to say was DKR and DK2.. D'oh!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is excellent - another Alan Moore work of genius.
    Transmetropolitan is wonderfully written.
    The Authority is a superb take on the superhero genre.
    No Man's Land and The Long Halloween are two excellent Batman series.

If you liked The Authority, make sure to check out Planetary.. Excelent..

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Yeah, I have the first TPB of Planetary as well...I had forgotten about them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

The Amazing Spiderman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

My second choice is "Marshal Law, Fear and Loathing."The first of an infrequent series by kev o'neill

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so let me recommend Cerebus (the Aardvark) - if you get a chance check it out.

Some of Dave Sim's sexual politics can be a bit non-PC (some people have gone so far as to call him a misogynist), but the early story arcs are simply amazing. The whole thing is building to finish with episode 300 which should be arriving sometime in 2004 I think - Sim promised 300 episodes way back in 1977 or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭A.S.H.

ALso don't forget the Ultimate line from Marvel. They are easy to get into and Brian Michael Bendis writes great dialogue. Also check out Powers by him aswell

Originally posted by cerebus
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, so let me recommend Cerebus (the Aardvark) - if you get a chance check it out.

Some of Dave Sim's sexual politics can be a bit non-PC (some people have gone so far as to call him a misogynist), but the early story arcs are simply amazing. The whole thing is building to finish with episode 300 which should be arriving sometime in 2004 I think - Sim promised 300 episodes way back in 1977 or something.

I liked the first 5 or so compiled books alright but the last year\2 it seemed to go astray.. may have changed recently though, haven't read it in over a year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I 'heart' garth ennis / steve dillon stuff. (Hitman preacher etc) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

I recommend:
    Dark Minds
    100 Bullets
    Silver Surfer
    Daredevil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Watchmen - a deffo must read.Just to great for words to do justice.

V for Vendetta - another must read.

Batman:The Killing Joke - see above.

Batman:Year One - see above part II.

Batman:The Dark Knight Returns - see above the return

Marshal Law:Fear & Loathing - top class stuff.

Sandman - really cool comic but went kinda flaky towards the end tho as they seemed to just wanna appeal to goth's and young blokes with the female death character.

Spawn - the early stuff.

Lobo - the early limited series stuff.

Ronin - probley the best from marvel.

World without End - weird story but the artwork is amazing

Judge Dredd graphic novels - just mindblowing stuff

Hellblazer - this comic is just so cool :)

Akira - movie is great but comic is better.

Swampthing - top class stuff.

Judge Dredd vs Batman - very good as cross-overs go

Aliens the first series from Dark Horse Comics - rest of the Aliens series is s***e tho.

Zippy the clown - its soooo mad its great.

Love & Rockets - hard to get into but good once you do.

Advertisement