Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honours Maths

Options
  • 06-06-2002 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Woah that was some exam, when i first got the exam and looked at the algebra questions first i got very worried. I can't say i have seen a maths paper like that before, it was nothing like any of the previous exam papers and was far more challenging than last years paper

Algebra: At first it looked to be an absolute bollox of a question! Once i actually got into it it was pretty ok. Question 1 parts (a) and (b) were alright. I wasn't really sure how to answer the (c) part , i tried the whole b^2-4ac thing which i was told was right. For the next part i put k into the equation and pulled some jiggery pokery factorizing stuff and hopefully proved that one of the roots was an integer.
    I couldn't do b(ii) in Q.2. I'm sure it's very easy but i just couldn't seem to work it out :( The part (c) was alright, i managed to show the first part and work out the second part:)

Complex Numbers/Matrices : Probably the easiest question on the paper, the matrices part (c) looked hard but worked out nicely once i realised there was nothing in it :)

SEquences and series : Parts (a) and (b) were very straight forward, i could get (c) out, it looked easy, anyone care to tell me how to do this one?

Differentiation Q's : Parts (a) and (b) were very straight forward. In question 6 i was unable to work out the the part (c) , was running out of time then and didn't think it through. Q7 part (c) was suprisingly easy , managed to get both bits out

Integration: Probably my worst question, Got parts (a) and (b) i, managed to forget how to do (b) ii :( Didn't like the area question either

Overall it was a fair enough paper, part (a)'s and (b)'s were mostly harmless. A few stingers in the part (c)'s though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Complex Numbers/Matrices : Probably the easiest question on the paper, the matrices part (c) looked hard but worked out nicely once i realised there was nothing in it

Well for some.....my one poor Q......got t = 4 instead of -4

BTW anyone know the answer to Q1 (C) (ii) ???

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

They totally changed the algebra questions. No factor therum stuff at all. Twas a bit shockin at first. Other than Q1 and 2 i thought it was grand.
    I made a balls of 6c and 7cII though.

For 4c (sequence/series question) i let the three numbers be k-d,k,k+d. Then i used a sort of simultaneous eq set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭BKtje

The ordinary wasnt at all what i was expecting
    rock hard for little ol me :(

mighta scraped the B3 that i need if im lucky.
    Will have to make up for it in paper 2 to be sure tho :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Serialkiller

BTW anyone know the answer to Q1 (C) (ii) ???

It was an integer (what you had to prove)
    Think it cancelled down to -1 or some such, didn't get it, had other questions tho., taught myself sequences and series and binomial theory in the last week (we didnt do it in school)

:)

Pretty happy with it.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I was well pleased with the exam. I too got depressed when I saw Q.1 but i got all of Q.2/3/6 out and most of 7 and 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

I got 1(c)!
    I got 1(c)!
    Fio's right, -1 is one of the roots, the other one's a mess of p+q-t's!
    I did all eight questions, finished 15 minutes early. In general the paper looked more intimidating than it turned out to be.
    4(c): take 3 terms as a-d, a, a+d.
    Easiest c-part I ever saw.
    On the other hand......8(c) WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I've done the ordinary level maths today... I'd say i got about 160 marks... ish :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

i managed to do all 8 questions but i made a mess of 4 and 8 and 1 c otherwise i got everthing at lease partially right

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

Q8(c)

y=5 is the tangent(get dy/dx for this)

The two points are then (0,5) and (3,5)

I then took 5 from f(x) and integrated from 0 to 3.

Alternativley integrate f(x) as given and take from 15 (that is 3*5).

The answer is 27/4

The paper in general was realatively easy but harder than last year.

90 minutes. 8 questions.

BTBB

OMFG I did that! and I got 27/4!
    Yay! Wahoo! Score!
    So that means I havent made any (obvious) ****ups and am still on track for my A1, provided I can learn probability before monday! Me happier!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Tbh, twas IMO prolly the worst Paper 1 since '94.
    and it's pretty much the same opinion from the 3 others guys doing Honours Maths in my place.

I was actually confidwent going in and then Q.1 threw my quite a bit but I attempted the 6 but...

I get the feeling IF I did pass...tis a merci pass :(

Roll on Paper 2 and *hopefully* a good mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Well it's official, I am the only person who didn't think it was harder than any other year.

worry, worry, worry...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by nothing
    Well it's official, I am the only person who didn't think it was harder than any other year.

worry, worry, worry...

Look at last year, now look at this years paper. No offence but if you can't see a difference in standard you are talking complete BS

Look at last year, now look at this years paper. No offence but if you can't see a difference in standard you are talking complete BS

TBH i thought it was the easiest year ever....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

It wasn't an incredibly difficult paper, but the questions were phrased a lot differently than any other year.

I mean Matrics (c) part was the easiest (c) part i'd ever seen

<< Fio >>

TBH i thought it was the easiest year ever....

Fair dues to you if twas easy for you but after doing the paper and from hearing others it wasn't the easiest,

I mean, I've heard of peeps coming out in tears from Paper 1 ...
    ((albeit women*))

*disclaimer: no offence to women who took the paper. It's what I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

algebra screwed me tbh, didnt even understand 1b and didnt get an answer for c, i didnt have seq&series prepared so i think im gonna get a C now
    lets hope paper 2 is easy =/

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I found the paper very different, sly in places and just overall nasty. The way they mixed complex numbers with algebra was a bit sly.

However, now the good news.

I'm from Cavan, and there have been many many complaints about the place (countrywide) regarding the difficulty of the paper. Some maths teachers from the area have gotten together and are contacting as many maths teachers around the country as they can. Once this is doing they are all writing letters of complaint to the Department.

Overall, I think due to complaints and the correcters seeing the exams, it should be marked easier.

Lets hope Paper2 doesnt hold any more nasty surprises :(

there have been many many complaints about the place (countrywide) regarding the difficulty of the paper. Some maths teachers from the area have gotten together and are contacting as many maths teachers around the country as they can. Once this is doing they are all writing letters of complaint to the Department.

Been told that was being done alright and even parent have rang up complaining about the paper.

Lets *hope* some thing noteworthy happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

It wasn' t that hard, but imo it wasn't the easiest ( that has to be last year's paper). As for teachers forming this "group" , it can't have much an effect really seeing as if you had sequences and series prepared the paper was fine.

• Advertisement

i hate to break it to ye's but aparently thats the perfect paper...half the people loved it the other half hated it and were complaining........tis the ideal paper apparently

Originally posted by Molly
    It wasn' t that hard, but imo it wasn't the easiest ( that has to be last year's paper). As for teachers forming this "group" , it can't have much an effect really seeing as if you had sequences and series prepared the paper was fine.

Question 3,4 and 5 were the easiest on the paper, although the two differentiation questions weren't too bad either, it was Q1 and 2 that was the problem.

Considering that most people go into the exam with the intention of doing Q 1,2,3,6,7 and 8 it wasn't too nice of the dept to screw up what are usually the two best answered questions ie 1 and 2. Fair enough they want to get more people answering Q 4 and 5 but i think they should have gradually toned the difficulty of Q 1 and 2 up rather than wallop them in one year.

I didn't hear one person in my school walk out and say that it was an easy exam, some very smart people hoping for A1's will be disapointed. i'm just glad i prepared sequences and series.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

If more than 53% (ish) people get something wrong the question was too hard and will be marked accordingly.

The exam was much easier than a pre paper I came across. It took 33 1/3% times longer than the LC(all 8 Qs).

The problem with the exam was the phrasing of some questions. They were all doable but there was some logic involved.

The marks will fit the normal curve as with other years. You are ranked not marked in the leaving cert. 'A' means top 14% in most subjects. Paper 2 Q9 - you have to love it.

As a matter of interest does anyone know if the t-test is on the Hons. Math course? Its used where the population deviation is not known but when the sample deviation is. There are several questions in the book which need this but normal distribution is used instead and I'm a bit worried on the matter.

BTBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Considering that most people go into the exam with the intention of doing Q 1,2,3,6,7 and 8 it wasn't too nice of the dept to screw up what are usually the two best answered questions ie 1 and 2

Its not there job to be nice now is it? Especailly not two years in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Most of the paper was ok. Its the changes that they made to Q1 and 2 thats the problem.
    It was a lot easier than the pre we got.
    Last years paper was without a doubt the easiest i've seen. They probably made it easier cos of the strikes or something.

Originally posted by Molly

Its not there job to be nice now is it? Especailly not two years in a row.

That's true, it's taught me a lesson though, i am not going to leave out any question for paper two. I suggest no one else does either

Originally posted by Kaimera
    Tbh, twas IMO prolly the worst Paper 1 since '94.
    No it wasnt. 1995 was definitely worse.
    I think the dept is trying to show people not to leave stuff out, not just in maths but in other subjects too, English being a prime example.
    <me goes off to add cosine rule to list of proofs to learn tonight, tho it came up last yr>

Out of 17 people in my year doing higher level, 4 left crying after an hour. Most of the rest were freaking out and I was just about to collapse (from tiredness not a freakout btw). Most left out 4 and 5 but screwed up 1 and 8.

did ye sit the same paper as me? i thought 2001,2000,1999,1998,1997,1996,1995,1994 were all harder than it..........did i get an odd easier paper r summit?.....;)

maths 2 tomorrow worry about that instead......:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    did ye sit the same paper as me? i thought 2001,2000,1999,1998,1997,1996,1995,1994 were all harder than it..........did i get an odd easier paper r summit?.....;)

maths 2 tomorrow worry about that instead......:rolleyes:

I'd expect as much from you but for the rest of us it was a tough old slog. I get the feeling you won't have much to worry from paper 2 tomorrow.

Oh and if you tell me that the exam tomorrow was easy i'll be sure to have a virus ready to send to ya through ICQ :D

Best of luck kids

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RASKOLNIKOV

I'd expect as much from you but for the rest of us it was a tough old slog. I get the feeling you won't have much to worry from paper 2 tomorrow.

Oh and if you tell me that the exam tomorrow was easy i'll be sure to have a virus ready to send to ya through ICQ :D

Best of luck kids

heh, i don't think i'll be comming out of maths 2 quite so happy...but if i am i'll be sure to ICMP u first so no virus :p

Advertisement