Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why the show never took off here

Options
  • 04-06-2002 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

1. A majority are too obsessed with the ghastly Friends.
    2.Sein was shown too late it wasn’t shown over here till 97, Net 2 only did the third season that was it.
    3. A scheduling factor also played a part TV 3 messed around with the times it started with a double on Wed, then a single at Wed at around 10:45 then it went to Thursdays at 6:30 to be fair to them they showed all 4 seasons in that Thurs slot, but then it varied on Tue or Wed then it got bizarre it was on Sat at 12:00 then it’s got this Fri slot at 12.

4. Not many people see the humour of the show, they don’t get some of the jokes, its a shame really because if you show them for example The Contest it would be intersting to their reaction.

Jer: we can visit them to together
    George: Every 5 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I agree with you there Ciaran.

If you look at the treatment TV3, RTE and the Beeb give to certain programs it differs greatly than that given to Seinfeld. For instance, even when the show was still on its first run, there was never ads running to promote the show like the way there are for some comedies like friends or Will and Grace... "Tune in Friday at 9pm" etc. Seinfeld was usually treated like a stop-gap airtime filler, that might get a showing if we have time! I mean the shabby treatment TV3 give it is a disgrace. Its frequently advertised and then is bumped and they change the airtimes all the time.

The biggest complaint I hear from my friends, who are not neccesarily big fans, is that the never know what time and where its on. I mean you need to got htrough the RTE guide with a fine tooth comb to find out when/where its on.

Personally I think the best channel at showing Seinfeld has been BBC2. When they did show it they always showed it in blocks and you could see a whole season in the space of about 3 weeks- and of course no ads:)

Sorry I also should have added that of course there are cultural differences when it comes to some of the jokes that may be lost on peeps in Ireland.

Personally I dont think I would get some of the jokes if I had not lived in NYC, but then again whats all this talk I hear about the fact we live in a global village...heh !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I think its just a different type of humour. It certainly took me a while to get into it. I don't feel I'm missing much with regard to NYC in-jokes, but what do I know?

I think that it just doesn't have that immediate appeal. Even if you're a fan you can be a little baffled if you miss the start of a new episode. I guess that put a lot of people off before they ever got to find out what a gem it was.

I've managed to convert a few though.

Now if my girlfriend would only stop telling me that I remind her of George and bragging how she beat me in the Festivus "Feats of Strength"...

K

Originally posted by Kix
    she beat me in the Festivus "Feats of Strength"...

K

Sounds Like a new version of the Bedroom olympics.
    Wrestling is involved of course :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by 80project

Sounds Like a new version of the Bedroom olympics.
    Wrestling is involved of course :p

Naturally :)

Followed by dancing round the aluminium pole. :)

K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Hehehe

Advertisement