Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

555 phone numbers

Options
  • 04-06-2002 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

The Internet: Connecting bored people to those with far too much time on their hands.

http://home.earthlink.net/~mthyen/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hehe, I always found that funny how practically every movie has a 555 number in it. Do 555 numbers even exist? Why oh why is it so popular??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Yeah, tis true. Even in BladeRunner there's a 555 number. I've no idea why they do it. For a while I thought it was maybe some legal thing.

Oh, and they make a joke out of it in The Last Action Hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

AFAIK the only 555 number actually in use the the US is 555-1212 - it's the directory assistance number for all area codes.

In Canada, 555 numbers are used for information services (it used to be 411)

In Rozelle and Balmain in west Sydney, until a 9 was added to most Australian numbers last year, most of their numbers DID begin with 555

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

The 555 exchange is an oddity of the North American phone network. As far as I know, the 555 exchange is reserved for special purposes such as directory assistance and other weird stuff.

The 555 exchange also has a number of fictitious numbers - usually some 555 line numbers in the range between 555-0100 and 555-0199. These numbers will never be placed in service in any area code. As a result they get used by the entertainment/advertising industries in advertisements, television, and movies.

I think the entire 555 exchange was reserved once upon a time, but with the growth in subscribers it got opened up for info-type services.

Don't take this as gospel - old info I'm trying to recall from my phreaking days :-) Others might have a better explanation...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by cerebus
    The 555 exchange also has a number of fictitious numbers - usually some 555 line numbers in the range between 555-0100 and 555-0199. These numbers will never be placed in service in any area code. As a result they get used by the entertainment/advertising industries in advertisements, television, and movies.

Actually, checking the link, the numbers from various TV/films seem to span all the 555 exchange so I might not be right in describing the range above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Too many of those numbers are from Fight Club ;) Do you really want Fight Club fans phoning you? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Thats just the newest editions on the frontpage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

the 555 number in ireland is in Sligo somewhere around that area however you have to put a dialing code before it if your calling outside that local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

who in their right mind would find all those numbers!!!!

some one with waaay to much time on his/her hands!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by sceptre
    AFAIK the only 555 number actually in use the the US is 555-1212 - it's the directory assistance number for all area codes.

No it isn't!! ;)

555-1212 - Brady residence - The Brady Bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by koneko

No it isn't!! ;)

555-1212 - Brady residence - The Brady Bunch

Hmmm, now that's interesting (really) - it's still a real number though - next time you're over, ring it.

While you're at it, ring the usual 202-456-1414 (ask for George - better still say you want to kill George and stay on the line for a few minutes)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

They always do something like that in the Simpsons aswell

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Wow I never realise some people had that much free time on there hands :D

Can you imagine the conversation between his/hers girl/boyfriend,

"so what did you do today.?"

"Oh I watched a load of films and copied down all the 555 numbers and also marked down where these made up numbers are for."

and I thought I had to much time :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

AFAIK Hollywood was specifically given use of the 555 prefix by Ma Bell for movies away back in the early days of tinsel town, so that real numbers weren't actually used.

Advertisement