Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my guitar rattles :(

Options
  • 02-06-2002 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

when i strum my acoustic guitar very hard it makes a rattley noise in the background and doesn't sound like the guitar on cds - nice and clear and everything. What can i do to fix this if anything? I am quite a newbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gosh, there are a lot of reasons as to why that happens. What you should do is localise the sound, try and find where the sound is coming from for starters.
    Have you clipped your strings at the head after you put them on? Is it the frets making it sound like a sitar? Is there anything touching the strings except for your fingers?

find out where the sound is coming from and post more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Heh make sure theres nothing inside like a plec or something.

Make sure you hold down the strings firmly all the way through the chord.

Make sure the guitar is in tune.

Thats all i can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That happens from time to time with my Epiphone. What happens is the sh1tty little peice of metal that covers the underside of the tuning nut (the bit with the little cog) comes loose slightly and rattles when I strum. But as someone said, it could be anything.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

IS it a steal string or nylon guitar? If it's a nylon the you're not meant to strum it hard.
    If it's steal, buy some thicker strings like .12's or .13's

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

it just happens with the fourth string - all the rest are fine i think. and yes its steel string not nylon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Open 4th string or on a particular fret??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Could be the nut, or the string may not be strung properly, the winding on the post could be to high. Or It could be the Bridge. Try Tuning down the string until is barely hanging on, then tune it back up to pitch. If there is still rattling, Do a thorough check to see it there are loose parts. In fact the tuning head could be loose too.

Advertisement