Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where's all the irish at?

Options
  • 02-06-2002 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Now maybe it's just me, but does it seem to anyone else that there are more foreigners than Irish in Dublin?
    I ain’t hating, it’s just weird is all. I’ve never seen anyone except Chinese working in McDonalds and BK. In Rathmines it’s hard to find a shop run by Irish people.
    And of course with the summer fast approaching we’ll get our normal influx of French students.

It might just be ‘cuz I work nights. I don’t get to see the normal crowd.
    But some nights I find myself counting. One night I counted 30 something foreigners (mostly Chinese) and less than 10 Irish.

I might have to take a break in the country to fix my brain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by fester
    where's all the irish at?.

They're all over there... look... in the Afterhours board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

There are over 1 million(1.4 million aprox) ppl living in Dublin. Aout 900,000 of them are Irish citzens. If you only counted 40 foreigners then thats a relativly small number considering the population of dublin increases to close to 2 million in the summer.

And an Irish person working in McDonalds or BK.. lol. Doesn't happen any more. I mean you can get a much better job in any under staffed office moving paper around a desk and earn alittle more and wear something respectable. :)
    McDs and BK are holes. You have to be desperate to work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

just try to imagine , how many 'real' irish you will have in your next generation...
    with all the foreign people guys and girls have a lot to choose from :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Xelsior

I think its all this "equal oppertunities employment" bu||sh*t, thats why all the foreingers get them jobs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

I think a bit of cross-pollination and diversity in the irish race isn't such a bad thing. It 'may' actually bring some breeding and culture to this feckin' place. I'm from County Meath so breeding and culture, as you can imagine, are in very short supply there at the moment.

Back to the original note though, I do notice lotsa foreigners here in dublin too. Its all a bit mad walking through Grafton street and all you can hear are french and spanish accents in the air, whilst the irish point and mutter like some machiavelian plotters. Can't say it bothers me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

From a French person invading boards too...

Funny to go around with a decent Anglo-Irish accent at this stage(Studied English as a main language in college + 5 years in English speaking coutries). Hear people talking about you in a 'foreign' language, turn around, and tell them to f*** off in a way that would make Satan blush....

I just love it...

And I can do that in French, Spanish and Italian... What a summer in perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It is a bit weird, but the whole summer invasion would probably a lot more fun all round if any of us actually talked to them.

Apparently as a people we lack conversational patience or something and can't be arsed trying to converse with someone with poor English. (I know I'm a bit like this sometimes)

SYL as a fellow Meathman I agree completley. To quote our compatriot Tommy Tiernan.

"What do we need a cultural centre for? Sure haven't we got a shoppin' centre."

It's not only the English that foreign people would have troubles with.
    Most Irish might have a accent that no matter how good your english is ...people will not understand you :)
    Hell sometimes you don't even understand each other :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Perhaps working in a pan-european call centre has jaded me a tad, but I have to say I find it rather disconcerting to sit on a bus and be the only Irish/English speaker there. This is a _very_ frequent occurance in the D15 (Blanchardstown) area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Originally posted by Xelsior
    I think its all this "equal oppertunities employment" bu||sh*t, thats why all the foreingers get them jobs :rolleyes:

No, Chaos Engine is right, it's 'cause Irish people don't want to do those kind of jobs any more. Not in Ireland anyway - y'know yerself, you'll lower your standards to much crappier jobs when you're in a foreign country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On the original post i think its more a perspective thing.. in reality there are more Irish people walking down Grafton street.. you dont see them though... they are just there.. but Foreign people get noticed.. either because they are a different race, have a much better tan or just dress differently not to mention accent/language... its probably a case you just NOTICE more foreign people and that drowns out the Irish people.

As for the Jobs front... Why would an Irish person work for minimum wage in a fast food dump when they can earn maybe twice in an IT job or probably 3 times. There is no need for the "They are stealing our jobs" attitude.

I for one welcome new cultures, ours is a little boring.. With the exception of Paddy's day we dont have a national holiday.. we done even celebrate our own Independence day... new cultures here and we will start to see more colour and flavour to our own society!

could not agree more with you 'Saruman, the wise'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

I’ve never seen anyone except Chinese working in McDonalds and BK.

All the irish are in other countries staffing bars :)
    and possibly burger resteraunts

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

where's all the irish at?
    Thems all down the pub :D

Advertisement