Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheres the best place to buy decks (Dublin or mail order from England)?

Options
  • 30-05-2002 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm looking at getting a set of decks. Am I better of trying mail order from the UK or will it work out as expensive as Richer Sounds??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

What sort of decks are you looking for?
    If you're looking for expensive ones, it may work out a tiny bit cheaper if ordering from uk..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Best place I have seen is Richer sounds, let me know if you find better ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I've seen too many bad things happen to my mates buying from richer sounds, they'd say anything for you to make a sale, and if that product fails, they can be a right moan when it comes to your geting it repaired under your gaurantee, I've also seen them advising people to get this and that fixed when indeed, its not really necessary to get it done..
    try sounds around, last time I was there they seemed to have decent prices for decks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

and never tell the shop bloke you dont have a clue.

LOL :)

That didn't work for me, when I was buying my decks all those years ago. He asked me were they my first set of decks, and I said yes, but I had been using decks for quite a while (trying to pretend I knew my stuff, coz there were few places in Galway where I could get decks, and they were all dodgy gezzers selling them too). So he hand me a few tunes, and say off you go, you should give them a try. I said "No thanks". He said that I wouldn't understand the quality of the product, unless I had a good session in the sound proof room before I bought. So off in I went, and through messages sent from above, I managed to turn the gear on, without making it too obvious that I'd never used decks in my life.

I was chuffed when I got sound banging out of the speakers, but then there was pressure for me to do some beat mixing, which was a term I had only heard about. They guy was telling me to give it some pitch, and all I was able to do was look back at him, with a blank expression. At this point I knew I wouldn't be able to pull of the "I'm an experienced Dj" routine. :rolleyes:

So it's 3 years later, as of last week, since that funny occurance. At least next time I will have a bit of confidence, and perhaps wait a little longer in the sound proof room. :cool:

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

make sure you get technics and you wont have to have them repaired unless you sh1t on them or something, get a djm600 mixer too......it may seem like a way too good setup for a beginner, but you wont get bored and neglect your decks if youre really bad at mixing at first cos the djm is just so much fun, use a bpm counter too, but dont use it and tell yourself you can mix, just use it and listen to what it sounds like when you have a tune running too fast or too slow, get 2 tracks beat matched and then knock one out of time and get it in time again....great practice, youll know what to listen out for

Originally posted by damo
    make sure you get technics and you wont have to have them repaired unless you sh1t on them or something,

Thats a typical rich daddy's boy saying
    "get technics"
    Technics may be one of the best decks around, but never buy technics as your first set of decks, technics should always be an upgrade when you're Djing for sometime, if you get technics first, and you're getting good, what can you upgrade to? nothing, only the mixer.
    I would really recamend getting another direct drive if this is your first set of decks. but if you have the money and want to go for the best around.. feel free to buy

Numark PROTT2(supposly technics beater, haven't had a shot of them yet, look slick too :) (around €549 ea)

Technics SL1210MK3 (around €699ea)

TechnicsSL1210(Industry type)

Vestax PDX2000(more hip-hop/rap for scratchin) (around €579 ea)

Gemini DJ Gear Pack
    This Gemini DJ Pack is exclusive to DJ Gear and it consists of 2 XL 100's Decks, 1 PMX-20 Mixer, EH-50 Headphones, 2 Slipmats and all the necessary cables.

Price: 435.00 Euro / IR£342.59

My mate had those.. afwal shíte, sold them off for 100 euro's
    Notice the way they don't mention that they're belt drive...
    Stay away from beltdrive, why don't they just get rid of them and stop selling them to new people who don't have a clue, I do feel sorry for the people who get skanked :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

do what i did, buy a 2nd hand pair of techics for your first dechs, then later u can guy new ones.they will last up to 10 yrs without being fixed. they are the daddy of dehcs.

if u know anythign about mixn, and try do it with a **** pair or **** mixer, u will just be pist off in no time and giv up, no fun if uc ant even mix on them hehe

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Personally I would go for cd mixing.

Its cheaper on many different levels. So easy to get old toons. and cheaper to.

And way easier on the back :)

Forget the Kudos.

When I get all my records on cd I will probably go for some nice manual cd mixing thingies.

oh yeah.

Ya know, I'd expect that a lot of people in here wouldn't agree with you there, but I do. Beside my PC here I have a set of CD decks (with my mixer hooked up to my sound card :) ). I have used 1210s (actually their the only vinyl decks I've ever used). But having said that, I have found myself using CDs more often. For the simple reason I'm getting tunes, soooo much quicker than my mates who are on technics. And most importantly for free!

All I have to do now, is come home,
    1. go to some of my fav sites
    2. get the names of some new tunes
    3. download them using some file sharing software
    4. Burn them on to CD
    5. Watch my friends on technics, wait a week to 10 days for the same tune, and have to pay for it too ;)

You wouldn't believe the amount of people on vinyl that I've converted. Initially it wasn't intentional, coz I was one of those guys that said, never use CDs. But gone are the days when all the good tunes were only available on vinyl, coz the internet changed all that. Times are changing, so keep that in mind.

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

yeah listen to oj, get yourself a set of mickey mouse decks and sell them off at a later date to buy technics, more expensive than buying technics outright and without advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭pookster

Cheers Lads for the help,
    Basically I am a beginner but have about €1000 to spend. From what I've heard I'll be staying away from belt drives.

I'll probably go for a set of Technics although the CD burner and PC way of getting tunes seems a good idea.

If you're buying cd decks, only buy the best.. the rest are crap..
    a real good set are around 1,500... maybe bit less..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

phobos wrote: »
    All I have to do now, is come home,
    1. go to some of my fav sites
    2. get the names of some new tunes
    3. download them using some file sharing software
    4. Burn them on to CD
    5. Watch my friends on technics, wait a week to 10 days for the same tune, and have to pay for it too ;)

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

please dont pull up 7 years old threads for fook sake

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement