Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gear

Options
  • 29-05-2002 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Could you ppl give me a price on a brand spanking new warlock
    and one of those big dirty amps(not too big, but fairly big)
    Also your opinions on what guitar i should buy as i'm caught between buying a new guitar and/or upgrading my old one
    but i need a preformance amp!

Also
    Who much would a set of single coil pickups cost (good ones)
    your opinions on which are the best ones
    And how much and where could i get a bridge replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

GET NEW GUITAR!!!. Seriously, if you have to do that much work on your old guitar, get a new one. IMO Warlocks are not the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Well ok i see your point.
    Warlocks are soooo nice lookin,
    What would you recomend?

I've heard lots of good things about
    PRS and ESP(i think) guitars but i haven't found a shop that will let me see one with making it seem like i wanna buy it.

Mon everyone what have you got?
    Me has Straty Ripy offy thing, it plays quite well.
    I've had it a good while and the only thing to break was the strap but that was my fault, (and a few strings)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Well If you already play a strat copy, why not go for a real one.
    A new USA could cost ya from 450 euro up.
    PRS guitars tend to be very expensive, hence why most shops wont let ya near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

well it depends on the style of music you play also.

From most reports the USA Warlock is one excellent guitar. (not the imported versions). Check out the reviews on Harmony Central and check out who plays BC Rich. BTW The USA BC Richs cost ALOT in Ireland. Havent priced them myself but I'd imagine you are looking at 1000+

A big consideration is if you want a floyd rose or not. If you do ,check out the Ibanez RG's. They are not in the same league as the Richs but are a lot cheaper. I've got an RG 470 and my abilities do not surpass the guitar still. (5 years of playing)

I cant imagine someone who is looking at a Warlock (probably a metalhead?) would find a Strat useful. Those single coils are WAY too noisy for hi gain amps. BTW I'm not sure you'll get a new USA strat for 450. (no way actually)

Some shops do ESP's but these are VERY expensive again. BTW Make sure you know the difference between their standards series and the LTD series. (the price should give it away) I think for ESP's you probably are paying a premium for the name (cause Metallica + Jeff Hanneman etc use them)

For an amp, keep an eye on Buy and Sell. I picked up a JCM800 2 years ago for 180 quid !!!! For a class amp like that, that's amazing value. When buying the amp you really are going to be more specific on what you want and WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD !!! Peavy's make solid amps if nothing amazing . Check out line6 amps. I've got a POD for recording onto a PC and it's great !!! Never played the amp so I'm not sure what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BC Rich have Floyd Rose, it just depends on which series you get. All the NJ series guitars have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Dont go near single coils get humbuckers instead, i recomend the Pacifica by Yamaha as a decent step up guitar or any of the new Aria Pro II's.

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr .Bungle

Try getting a Jackson. They are real good for metal. Try the DXMG, it has a floyd rose and 2 EMG HZ humberbuckers. IF you order it from America you can get it for around 500-550 euro including shipping and VAT. Its a ****ing bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Snooping Around
    I've been looking into new guitars and things and with nearly everything the more you pay the better the stuff you get.

Idea!
    Ok, first off i was thinking of upgrading my current guitar with some pickups and a new silver plate, but since you said the single coil ones are too noisey, and i have noticed the annoying buzzing, and i think i saw €60 on the plate, so i'm not going to bother to butcher the thing and spend money on it when i'd be wasting my time, i'll just buy a new one.

The new one
    I would be definatly looking for a guitar for playing metal and the like, but it doesn't just have to look good you know.
    Ok the fender strat real thing is gona cost me around €1000 anyway so if i'm gona spend that much on a guitar i might as well get a warlock as the warlock will be fitted with the humbuckers right?
    If i spend a lot of money on a guitar it better last and i will take good care of it.
    The one i have now cost 200 quid irish its easy to play moderatly good looking (strat copy) and it sounds ok, cept for the buzzing, but i have a noise reduction thingy to help with that.

Nice guitar but what is it?
    Also, on my travels i saw another guitar that caught my eye i can't remember the maker but the model was a maverick (i think)
    I was in the same (kinda) shape as a strat and had cylinder dials for volume and tone. Looked loverly but does anyone know any thing about them. It was priced around €850 in perfect pitch and sightly cheaper in music maker but it could have been a different model.

Now all i have to do is get a fridge load of cash. And then i'll get one of those.

Speaking of fridges, amp wise i don't need one as such as if i'm preforming anywhere i can always rent one of those big dirty ones.

In The End
    Its gona be one of the nice looking guitars coz i won't be able to stop myself, i nearly did some thing to a warlock i saw with a silver outline (the guys in the shop were lookin at me funney)
    I'll look into all the guitars you guys have recommended.

Thanks for all out input.
    > Jaicster /o/==/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Jimmi Vaughn Artist series Fender Strat is the best value guitar Ive seen. The purists would shake their heads cause its mexican made, but the only difference is they ship the parts over the texas mexico border, assemble it with cheap mexicans and send it back. You think the mexican cheap labourers are stupider than american cheap labourers? Ha!

Its got specs of a much more expensive american made. 2 tex mex over wound single coils, and 1 EXTRA HOT bridge pickup. Soft maple V-Neck. *Drool*. Check it out.

http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0139202

Strats have the advantage over many other guitars in that they are very versatile. Get that high pitch twang of the 70's with extra-hot bridge pickup (and I mean HOT!), or use middle\neck pickup combo with distortion to get a really crunchy rock sound.

If you are interested in Les Pauls but dont wanna spend a fortune, then epiphone is the way to go. Most important thing I rekon is check out the humbuckers on the sucker. Play round on the high e and b around 17th fret to see if "she got game".

Warlocks are also very popular as everyone here seems to testify :). Ive not played one yet strangely. I feel compelled to go to a music shop now :)

Someone mentioned Yamaha Pacifica. 2 of my mates have them. Nice little guitars. Good value, about 200, 250 ish I think. Bridge pickups are a tad weak on them, but are very good for rythym. At 250 they are totally worth it, but they arent world beaters.

If you really want to go the whole schlong, then a guy down the road from me (in west cork) is selling a gorgeous 1972 Fender Telecaster. ****ing lead guitar dream (for me anyway :) ) Would be a bit wasted with powerchords tho.

Advertisement