Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security jobs , how

Options
  • 29-05-2002 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

I know that this should probably go under work but i think this is probably a better place as the posters here are always the same
    people....anyway

I was just wondering if any of you know a good way of getting
    into the security side of system admining, as in doing it for a
    comp. security company or such.
    Or if any of you had some advice from that area.

Im currently a junior admin 1-2 years but i cant seem to make
    that jump into the security area. Im not claiming to be an expert
    or anything like that , i just find the whole very interesting and
    Id really like to work full time in that area as opposed to other
    admin areas

Anyway any help here would be very much appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think that if you got a good few people replying to this, everyone's reply might be different ...

You are probably already doing admin related security work as things stand in your current position? If there isn't a designated security person in an organisation, then it often falls to the IT person with some interest in the area to look after the security end of things. If you are in that position then take advantage of it. Start writing security standards and proposing best practices for different areas that you feel need attention. Try to provide input into all security issues. It's valid experience.

I went from being a programmer and sometimes sys-admin (if stuff needed doing in work etc) to working in security (admin type stuff occasionally, but mainly programming/software security). I just applied to an ad on the web and got the job through a combination of luck, cheek and a good interview. It was always something I had a strong interest in, and that's the most important thing I think. No matter how much you know and learn through reading or experience, you'll always need to learn more IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

I'm working as a SysAdmin in a Tech Security firm and I'd have to agree with the previous poster.
    If a 'security' post needs filling, it is usual to look for someone who is experienced in general systems administration. The time you spend in your current role will stand you in good stead.

If you want to help things along a little, try to get involved in the technologies most relevant to security. E.g. Firewalls, VPN's etc.

Certifications are a help *provided* they are backed up with actual knowledge. Checkpoint provide certifications on their firewalls, CiscoPIX.....even MCP exams in W2k Security have their place.

If you really want to go wild try;

http://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?page=34

I'm currently trying for the CISSP certification (3-4 years exp).

BogoBot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

If I may add, I am not a security expert by any stretch but it is the area I want to move into as well, so to try and get myself up to speed I signed up for the Bugtraq and all the other Security open mailing lists on www.securityfocus.com and I have to say if nothing else they thought me just how many different sides there are to security.

I would recomend spending a week or two just listening on their mailing list and then following up on the different terms you hear with google.. Also look through their history on-line. A real goldmine of info.

Hope this is of some help to you

Gamb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭ondafly

like the other posts stated, join up to NTbugTraq, maybe take a look at Georgi Kensinsky, try www.coste.com. Get urself some books, first off HackingExposed, eason's usually has a copy, and get a Cisco book! But u are kinda doing a security style job as is, I think ur more interested in the "sexy" side of security, stopping the hacker, pluggin the firewallz etc, if so try for a job in Ritz

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think that should be http://www.cotse.com/ (Church of the swimming elephant). Good site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Everyone
    I did as said , started logging on some more new sites , and
    gettin newsletters and such.
    Have plans for sitting Cisco exams just waiting for funds . Which
    i think (from what ive read) are a good start . Then maybe gettin
    the Microsoft ones, just for Cv and I think theyll give me a small
    platform from which to build on , followed by those more intensive
    security exams.
    I think ur right Ondafly I am kinda just lokin for something more
    to do, I work for a small Company 60 users and Im bored to tears
    fixing small problems day in and out. Its like im just wasting away
    But as i said im interested in security and at the moment i cant
    get any hands on ....hence the post :)

Thanks again everyone ( now back to the book cave :) )

Advertisement