Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric shocks off guitar!! ..ouch

Options
  • 29-05-2002 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Ok ... does this happen to anyone else. I'd be playing guitar and if i touch anything thats earthed (like a radiator or the back of a pc) while touching a metal part of the guitar i get an electric shock...its very painful and very annoying as you can imagine!!! :eek:

Once, i touched the car outside (i wasn't even connected to the dam guitar) and got an awful rap of a shock off it.

I have a fender squier strat.

Is this a fault in the guitar or is this standard on electric guitars?
    Maybe im just more succeptable to shocks than other people.

Maybe i could earth the strings or something to prevent it from happening again.

What i assume happens is that static builds up in me while playing and then when a voltage is put across me(~20v -> 0v) a current flows.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

id dont play the guitar but i do get static shocks off cars sometimes and yes it can realy hurt it only happens to some ppl im not sure why

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It must be static electricity if you get it when not connected to your guitar.

You probably get it by sitting down with woolen/nylon trousers and slight friction from moving around on the plastic amp or chair of yours. This builds up static in your body I believe. Ways to get round this are to keep earthing yourself every once in a while and discharge frequently or... not wear any pants.

(Your shoes have something to do with it as they are not letting your electricity connect to the earth. I guess you just gotta be a hippy and be at one with the earth!)

But if it is a problem with earthing on your guitar and it is electricity you should get that fixed... you really should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 VonBon

If it happens when you're plugged into your amp, that could be the problem, too. But bring your guitar in to the shop, tell them about it. You need to fix that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I remember getting fried at a gig once, there i ws all ready to rock infont of the crowd with my guitar on i went to start singing into the mic and my lip hit it and boom, i have it on tape , me stumbling back, i didnt stop playing though! funny as hell

bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

hmmm.....i guess i better get it checked out before i get fried!

Thanx for all the help guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

There should be an earth wire that runs from from the pickups, to the volume and tone pots, and through the back of the guitar where it connects to the plate where your trem screws into your guitar (check under the plate at the back).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

just checked ......there's a wire connected to the trem alright.

Advertisement