Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RE: Salthill Airshow

Options
  • 28-05-2002 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Anyone going ? Anyone interested ? Anyone like airshows ?

Line up for this year includes another 2 German Tornado's - Excellent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, was at the one last year.

Unreal.

Couldn't stay for the whole, thing, sorry I missed it.

Know anywhere I can get a bit of info on tyhe line up for this year?
    Any russian Jets? :)

Su-27 roaring across Galway Bay, laying waste to all and sundry....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Cool, thanks :)

The tornados were class last year allright.
    Fully intend to be there this year replete with DV cams and cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I don't think we will ever see an SU-27 in the salthill airshow. I'd love to see one though. There is a MIG 29 flying at the Waddington airshow in the UK this year:(http://www.waddingtonairshow.co.uk/flying).

The salthill airshow website says that there are more US aircraft to be confirmed so we can probably expect an F-16 or A-10 same as last year. I've been to the airshow the last 4 or 5 years and I rekon the Tornado is the most impressive - if only for the noise and the variable-geometry wing.

Over the last few years there has been appearances from fighterjets - F-16's/F-14's/ A-10's/ Mirage/Tornado's/ which is very impressive for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

The great thing about the Slathill airshow is that you can hear it from almost anypoint in the city.....

Nice and deafening:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

But I will admit it hasn't been as good as it was a couple of years ago. I know jack sh1t (apart from the obvious) about the actual crafts themselves, because it's the whole atmosphere that get's me going. I think it was about 4 years ago, they had some serious jet down there that broke the sound barrier, while flying about 5m above water level (impressive :eek: )

I'll always remember how quick it went out of site, twas amasing. It would come from behind you, fly over your head, and it wasn't until it was a couple of hundread metres ahead of you, that you heard anything. Christ it could have been a bird flying over your head, util you saw the afterburners switch on, and render the crowd in to a state of deafness.

Hopefully we'll have the weather for it again this year. But what I have hated about the air show in recent years is waiting a 0.5hrs and a major hype build up for an Aer Aran 12-seater plane to pass over head. Christ the thing sounded like it was running on a wound up Honda 50 engine. :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The airshow is one of the few happenings in a Galway I never
    miss, The atmosphere is electric and I love the helicopters in
    the park.

going to try and get into one of those apartments this year
    should be cool:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i went last year, pretty dissapointing really, waited about 4 hours just to see a helicopter take off...

tman - Did you miss the 2 tornado's or the 2 f-16's or the 2 A10's or maybe the 2 blackhawk helicopters or perhaps the chinook. Were you expecting the spaceshuttle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I thought last years was fantastic!

The US Air Force were unbelieveably laid back - I got to crawl all over the inside of their Blackhawk. The Tornados were also amazing.

It can be a little slow in-between events but it's still amazing entertainment for the grand old price of €0.00.

Their website claims that it's now the only free air show in Europe which is somethign to be proud of.

Beats going on a planespotting trip to Greece, eh? :)

I'm living much closer to the center of the action this year and I don't intend to miss a thing!

K

• Advertisement

Some advice for those living in Galway. There is a good chance the Tornado's will be practicing over the bay the day before the airshow. Last year (the day before the airshow) I was driving along the prom with no idea they would be practicing when the 2 tornado's flew over my car at about 400 miles per hour at approx 100 feet. My son nearly had a heart attack. Anyway the practice session generally is better than their display at the airshow.

Here, anyone want to meet up beforehand for a few drinkies or whatever?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Been to a few of them - The show itself never creamed my crumpet, but it can be interesting at times...

How about a rake of us get together, see the show and then pile off to one of Salthills many drink dispensing buildings!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Im there already.
    Andy dont let me forget about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Somebody warn the gardai this time ffs...
    Last year a gard thought it would be fun to point his speed camera radar thing at a F-15 in the air.
    The F-15 automatically armed its missiles and had a radar lock on the little old gard sitting in his car.......

ehh not. but it would be pritty funny alright

Class, mini-boards drinkies and heavy loud fast machienry and guns, what more could we want?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

If that A-10 Thunderbolt is going to be there so will I. Class plane especially with one of those mean looking paint jobs on the front.

Advertisement