Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borknagar

Options
  • 28-05-2002 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone here listens to this awesome band?
    They're a symphonic black metal band from Norway(Big suprise?).

I'm sitting here listening to the song Colossus from the Quintesence album. And I am just gasping in awe of the vocal range of ICS Vortex! He's truly one of the most amazing singers on the planet. A classicaly trained Opera singer, no less!

Those of you who've heard Dimmu Borgir will know Vortex as the new Bass player/backing vocalist. Bit of a waste of his talents seeing as he only has about 5 mins worth of vocals on the last album. Far better singer than Shagrath.

I got 4 of Borknagar's albums, with Vortex singing on 2 of them.

Garm from Arctures sang with them before also.
    And Vintersong sings with them now.

Both great singers.
    Both Classicaly trained also.

But Vortex rules.

Can't wait to see them at Wacken this year.
    I wonder if Vintersong will be able to pull off the older songs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I' ve had the opportunity to sample ONE Borknagar song... and I have to say I liked it...

--

It has to be said...

OH NOE!!! TEH TASTES OF TEH ANGEL WHOREH ARE WEARING OFF ON MEEEE!!!

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

My musical tastes own all!
    You shall all recognise this fact, and be saved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Got some of their songs on a disc someone lent to me....great band....really liked them

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

okay, i have to admit, i had always thought that angelwhore's taste in music was, lets say- "unsual", but i remembered seeing you mention borknagar round here somewhere, so i thought i'd give it a shot, so i downloaded collossus last week, and i've been listening to it obsessively since! spot on choice there!! any other recommendations??

Of course, downloading music is bad, and cannot be condoned by Boards.ie, so I'm not telling you anything to download, because it's naughty.

But on a completely unrelated topic, other great Borknagar songs are:

Ad Noctum
    The Genuine Pulse
    The presence is ominous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I prefer Vintersorg's vocals myself.

Also check out the song "Soul Sphere" from Empiricism, it rules.

Oh yes, Vintersong is brilliant!
    But Vortex has more range.

All the songs are pretty damn cool, but I definetly like Colossusm it just has an enourmous *HUGE* sound to it.

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Of course, downloading music is bad, because it's naughty.

yeah riiiiiiiiight!!!!!!

Actually, it is.
    It's piracy, straight and simple, and is not condoned by boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

I got a listen of Colossus, not that bad...

Eron

• Advertisement

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Actually, it is.
    It's piracy, straight and simple, and is not condoned by boards.

ok, i realise that boards don't condone it, but practically, it does allow people to experience music they would never otherwise have heard, and encourages more diverse musical taste-

take the borknagar thing for example- there is no way i would have scoured every record store in dublin looking for a cd by a band that i had never heard before, just on the offchance i might like it, based on the reccomendation of a total stranger, but now that i have heard what they sound like, i will more than likely try and find some of their stuff to buy.

i know this is off-topic, and there's no point turning this into a thread on the merits and de-merits of mp3s etc, but that's just my two cents!

ok, i'll shut up now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

Downloading is acceptable, imo, because of this fact - You listen to a song, that you've downloaded, and you like it... but you want to hear more... so what do you do? you run out and buy the album. Some bands try to play the game that way, for some it works. And well, downloading in places like "The pits of hell" (aka Offaly) is such a gift, because to be quite frank there is fúck all but pop and country shíte in the music shops down here - I am one of the lucky ones.

Eron

You're missing my point.
    I'm saying just keep it hush hush, wink wink, ok?

alwight, alwight!
    say no more, say no more!

Advertisement