Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway people..help me!!

Options
  • 28-05-2002 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Non-Galwegians tend to like Cuba in Eyre Square a lot. The GPO is reasonable but if you go there on a weekend you'll want to be a dance music aficianado (and with the added stimulation that goes with it).

Avoid like the plague the unholy trinity of The Alley, Boo Radleys and Central Park (CPs). Varying degrees of chart pap and date rapists will be the highlight of the night.

Le Metro in the Radisson Hotel is pretty excellent. Problem is that tickets need to be bought in advance in Mulligan Records in town.

With regard pubs, any of the ones around Shop St. or Eyre Square are pretty much the same (Overpriced drink, terrible local covers bands, rugby collars). You're damned everywhere on this one so just pick at random.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

boo radleys ROCKS! :)

for bars try massimo's, barcuba, or the Blue note (the blue note being the best of em all.. kinda hip/hop jazz music.. very chilled out place)

for rock/metal/skangers try "sally longs"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Mordeth you need help......

Even though please AVOID O'Malleys pub....with the one exception of Sunday when there's a metal night....

Robbo's advice is pretty spot on....follow it and you'll be fine with the exception of The Raddisson...place is a barn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sally longs is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Being from Galway for the past 22 years, my tastes have changed (obviously). ATM my favourite places in Galway are Cuba or Le Metro in the Radisson Hotel. The rest are pretty much pants. I haven't been to the GPO for a long time, because the crowd didn't appeal to me (eventhough I'm a dance dj myself).

Le Metero is the most impressive looking club in Galway city, and will impress your guests, if that's what you're trying to do. One of the best Dj's in Galway (Dj Ferg) has landed a Sat night slot on the decks, and his tunes tend to appeal to a large audience (not bangin techno, not commercial)

NOTE: Do not go near Salthill afterdark. It's full of kids, and the clubs that do pull an older crowd (The Warwick), share the same policies as CPs, which is, make them queue, pack them in, take their money, and throw them out. ;)

As for pubs go to the Skeff, it can get packed, but the crowd are decent. Don't go to the blue note (soz Mordeth) because it's too far away from everything else. It's an excellent spot if you're just going out for a few drinks, in a relaxed env.

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement

Sorry to have to disagree with you there but The Skeff is terrible...

I mean it is a lovely looking pub but all it plays is bad pop music and on the weekends is is uncomfortably packed....and the crowd is very much Rugger Buggers and Alley tarts...

Your right about Salthill though...avoid at all costs....

Whats wrong with an IMO war...nothing gets the juices running better....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Whats wrong with an IMO war...nothing gets the juices running better....

They usually involve people like me reposting in defence. Sooner or later when we have taken the concept of IMO beyond the hills of deep thought/discussion, somebody will either get really mad :mad: or else start to laugh :D @ how much this thread has gone off topic.

Funny how some things can evolve isn't it?

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

or if u have a south london accent like me, avoid all of the places as there is always soem smart ass, they all **** anyway.

robbo, rugby collors hehe nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Taylor's, Munroe's, Róisín Dubh, all on the same street.
    Get a taxi up to Eyre Square then for the club, followed by SUpermacs later on before returning to a house with some Offie and a quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I love Sally Longs!
    and Cuba on Eyre Sq. has three floors, something for everybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

cuba is the smallest club ive ever been in and holds 3 times the ammount of ppl that it should .

in short what a crappy place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

Perhaps this post from SIN, NUIG's bulletin board might prove useful.

Also, this post from before christmas....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Or pop on over to the "College Play" boards.
    Plenty of Galway Club discussions there.

Blue Note is nice, built-in Offie too, close to a choice of fooderies (chippers) and a hackney office. What more could you ask for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mercury

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Cheers people.

I will be able to look clever now.

Me.." Galway...sure its like meh second home"

Thanks for that Mercury.

Very good for a newbie of 1 day to know such things.
    I wish I was that adept on my first day.

lol - thanks. I've been a moderator on the Winamp forums for a couple of years now, so I know my way around forums :)
    I hope admins don’t think you are someone with a duel account(Which is frowned upon.) and ban you... and give you a cross on Boot Hill*..... They will no doubt understand that you have been lurking for..like years. I will defend your good name if such an issue arises**.

nope - no other accounts here. Been lurking around the forums for quite awhile though, seeing as they are a little more close to home (me being a Galweigan and all).
    Also..try not to besmirch the Family name Of Mercury..as was handed down to me by ...me.

Will try not to ;)

Advertisement