Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Ozzfest Aftermath

Options
  • 27-05-2002 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭

Well all, its really early and I'm in work and I am totally wrecked. But wasn't last night a blast???? Shame about no ozzy though, but apart from that, it went off without a hitch. Shame the Irish Independent couldn't get their stuff together. Check out the section in it about the Ozzfest, somehow Slayer has become Flayer and Lostprophets have become Lost Profits????? But it did say that it was about 15,000 strong, so thats a great turnout for the Irish metallers, methinks.
    Anyway, on a personal note, this is what I think was the highlights and non-events of the gig;

Best Mosh song of the day: 'Before I die' by Mushroomhead
    Best Song Performance of the day: 'Die Laughing' by Therapy
    Best Band: Mushroomhead or AHC or Therapy (tough decision)
    Worst attempt at a mosh: 'Shinobivsdragonninja' by the Lostprophets....too many kids!!!!!
    Worst song performance: 'Kobrakai' by Lostprophets...terrible, not a patch on the album.
    Worst Band of the day: Tool (yawn) apart from 'stinkfist' which is ALWAYS cool

What does everyone else think then????? By the way, were any of you in the moshpits for either Mushroomhead, American Head Charge, Therapy or Drowning Pool - if so, I probably rubbed shoulders with you (to put it mildly).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Well I saw some of Mushroomhead (very slipknotish, someone will probably tell me that they were doing it first but hey...) but spent most of my time at Slayer.

Great to see Dave Lombardo behind the drum kit, he is one amazing drummer, those feet move sooo fast.

Most popular band of the day for the teenies was SOAD while I think the older crowd were there for Slayer. (more Slayer tshirts then anything). Have to agree with the above wrt Tool. Not the most exciting band. You could even tell, hardly anyone was screaming for more after they left the stage (unlike Slayer).

Bad form on Ozzy's part not to turn up. We get free tickets for UB40, Bryan Adams or Paul Weller. whoo hoo. not.

Moment of the afternoon was IMHO in the middle of Raining Blood, it started raining :-) Slayer, ya gotta love em

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah the day was great, Drowning Pool turned out alot better than I expected, Lostprophets and Therapy were dire IMO, unfortunately I missed Mushroomhead.
    Slayer, System and Tool were all amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Well just woke up after the mother of all parties last night, kinda like a post Ozzfest thingy.

First thing - major disappointment that Ozzy wasnt there, but props to the organisers for getting the word out to us early in the day.

The food and booze scenario - well I guess I cant complain, we were all going to get ripped off in the end.

I cant comment on the 2nd stage, seeing as I steared clear of it. BUt the main stage - ah the main stage, overall a great blast and to me band of the day was Slayer by far. SOAD were good for the jumpers but Slayer seemed to have the weather on their side for their entire set.

I'd comment more but I am going into town to see how many other people have bright red faces and scream at them "You were at Ozzfest too!"

ps: cant wait for motorhead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I really don't see the resemblance musically between m'head and the 'knot!
    They just play the same style of metal, like mudvayne and head charge etc, I don't think they're ripping each other off.

Best bands for me yesterday were m'head and AHC, they were both superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by SYL
    Worst Band of the day: Tool (yawn) apart from 'stinkfist' which is ALWAYS cool

:eek: :eek: :eek:

!!!

I SHOULD BAN YOU FOR THAT!!!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Here's my reckoning.
    I missed Black Label Society in the morning, which was a shame.
    Drowning Pool were alright. Good, but nothing to write home about.
    Lost Prophets sucked so much ass it wasn't even funny. They even insulted the audience(something about small minded ****s or something).
    Therapy? were, as usual kick ass. Not much else to say. Some good moshing there.
    Il Nino sucked. They weren't very talented, and were just boring as hell.
    Slayer ****ing rcked. They ****ing dominated the whole thing, and the mosh for Angel Of Death was the best mosh I've ever been in. They were definatly the highlight of the show.
    System Of A Down were just awful. I was expecting them to be okay, but they just weren't. They were just plain crappy.
    I thought I would hate Tool, but I was pleasantly suprised. It was definatly not moshing music, but I was totaly wasted(tired not stoned) by that stage anyway. I don't like them much on CD, but they put on a really good show live. Those visulisations were fantastic.
    I wasn't at the second stage much, and I didn't know the name of the bands there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Tool and yawn in the same sentence???!!!???

I shall smite you sir ;)

They were far and away the best band there....

Mushroomhead have the privilge of being the worst band I have had the misfortune of seeing....its like the part of the brain with the word MELODY wriiten was ripped from their brain while they where still conscious....

Thearpy? where absolutely amazing:

"Roy Keane is sh aging my sister"

so cool.....knives is one of the best mosh songs ever!!

And what was SOAD doing saying **** the System! what utter bull considering they're signed to Columbia a part of the Sony Music Corporation....

So funny to see all the Nu-metal kids vanish for Slayer and Tool....

I wonder did anyone go and see Kittie *giggles*

And as for Maynard....anyone who comes out covered in blue paint and goes back deserves our complete....naw total respect:)

I really don't rate Tool outdoors, I think they're a brilliant band but they don't really have much of a stage presence and they rely a bit much on the visualizations.

And as for Kitty...I heard some rabid growling while standing outside with a nice young man...but they certainly aren't my cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Best Music: Tool (damn good songs, just a pity bout lack of response from the crowd... not really moshing stuff though, as was pointed out).
    Best Time: Slayer (wasn't all the stupid pop kiddies trying to pretend their drunk and at a metallica concert, it was real ****ing metal bitch and my headache proves it!)
    Best Band: Therapy? (I love these guys and they definitely got the crowd going best... hehe... i ended up ripping out a chunk of hair at the end of Screamager... i got a bit carried away)

Hadn't heard Otep before and they were pretty slick. Cyclefly should've been shot... Kittie are ok when they're not growly, which is only on albums, and IMHO AHS looked too stupid on stage for me to bare. Plus, they were pretty substandard thrash metal stuff, only slightly louder. Sorry. Didn't see Mushroomhead... and SOAD were fun for me, but only cause i was trying to get through the middle of the crowd and ended up going through three mosh pits...

Heh... the slayer mosh was the best... cept it was more headbanging. Classic baby... pity bout Ozzy.

Missed BLS but heard they didn't play. Somethin bout Zakk not coming cause ozzy wasn't or some such... rumour only but just wonderin was it true?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

In my opinion, I really and honestly can't see what all the fuss is about Tool. They don't rock out (apart from Stinkfist) and they don't have any melodies that you can pick up easily so they, again in my opinion, are not a good choice for an outdoor concert. I do like deep music (Devin Townsend etc.) but I just don't get Tool, plain and simple.
    Also, the singer just hangs out around the back of the stage never really coming near the front - at least Dave Rogers from American Head Charge took the plunge into the crowd halfway during their set, smiling all the way.
    End of the day, I didn't like Tool. It was a heavy metal concert and tool would appear to me to be more prog rock than metal. Maybe if they had Slayer closing the show in the dark, it might have turned out better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Ah, Ozzfest.... So good...

I really enjoyed Drawning Pool & Ill Nino they were brilliant.

Still jumping at the remembrance of SOAD

Disapointed by Slayer again , I came to the conclusion that I loved that band, just not on stage (after 5 times, it's always getting worse, and they were only OK when I saw them first in 1998).

I loved that Canadian band American.... Just can't remember their name. They have a good stage presence, excellent music and they're very cool too.

And I'm still crying at drunk sick Ozzy that couldn't make it...

But what a wonderfull day...

Canadian! American head charge are American! :-D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If furking ruled man!

A Great day. Here it is in order of bands I saw...

Cyclefly were on when I arrived in and they wern't up to much, so I wandered into Stage 2 to see Otep and I had the first mosh of the day out of my system in minutes :) They were well good and I must make a CD purchase.

Lost Prophets - HAAHAAHAAAAAaaaaaaaaaa - that's funny.

Ill Nino - not too shabby at all - didn't think I'd like them as much as I did. The cover of Eye for an Eye was fun (violence is my friend). Got the drummer's autograph later in the day when I spotted him wandering around outside Stage 2. I think that they should have brought Mushroomhead out to Stage 1 instead of them though.

Therapy? - my third time seeing them and I still love them as much - Master of Puppets - the whole crowd (of people who knew what Master is) looking at each other in disbelief getting ready to go mental. Myself and my mates and a load of old skool formed a HUGE circle during "He's Not That Kind Of Girl" and waited for it to kick in heavy and hard again and went mental - that ruled.

System Of A Down - not too bad, but their guitar player wasn't very tight and made lots of mistakes that you just didn't get with the other bands. However, SOAD are one of my favourite bands in the world and I made sure the kiddies surrounding me knew who was boss and learned quickly how to mosh properly :)

Slayer stole the show without doubt and yes, it was brilliant to see Mister Lombardo there. The moshing for Slayer was what I could only describe as "professional" - down to business, beating the ****e out of each other and having an absolute ball doing it. And Raining Blood = Rain? They must have a direct line to the queer fella himself! Did anyone notice that Dave nearly blew the entire PA with his bass drum rolls? The whole thing was cracking and it affected everyone in the band - t3h funn3h! My second time seeing these guys (without whom, metal would be nothing) but the difference this time was I'm actually a fan of Slayer now - first time my mates were going and thought I'd enjoy it so convinced me to go (Diablos tour - first night in the SFX). Class - that's the only word.

Mushroomhead - I quite enjoyed. Wandered out of Slayer with a mate who'd taken his 5th blow to the head in the mosh and was feeling woozy, so we headed for stage 2 for some rest (having heard earlier that Mushroomhead had pulled out at the last minute). We get in and see the boys and proceeded to get to the front ASAP and get busy (my mate's very sore head soon forgotten as he's a big fan of theirs). The sound in that whole second stage was shit, so they didn't come across as well as they should, but I'd like to see them again.

Kittie - not too bad, but again, the sound in Stage 2 was apallingly bad and they suffered for it. Like Mushroomhead, I'd like to see them play a gig with a decent setup.

Tool - sorry, but, rubbish. They should have just stuck the CD into the machine and synch it with the visuals - it was a very bad way to end an otherwise great day. Slayer and Tool should have swapped places and at least have let the day end on a high.

All in all, a great day (apart from the poor ending), but I loved it. The wee shower of rain during Slayer and SOAD was nice and cooling and I got kinda sunburnt from earlier in the day. I hope they bring it back next year with Mister Osbourne himself taking charge and showing the kids what it's all about.

To anyone I inadvertantly hurt in the mosh - I appologise, but that is the nature of the mosh. Actually, I only really remember one arsehole from the whole lot and I sorted him out with an unmerciful thump which made him stop swinging elbows everywhere.

See you there next time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Thank you Kharn; at last, someone who agrees with me that Tool were not up to much

Erm, I agreed too, SYL.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

**** sake that concert ruled! I'm only starting to recover now.

Slayer were on their best form ever! Lombardo made a huge impact on their performance. (no disrespect to Paul Bostaph).

Tool were unbelievable too! I don't give a **** what you guys think. They are not there to get you to start a pit or start bopping up and down. They are there to amaze you with their skill. Personally I was amazed and was gawking at the screens and the band for the whole duration of their gig.

SOAD were ok, but the guitarist made too many mistakes for my liking. He totally ****ed up on Chop Suey!

Therapy? were good to get the crowd going with Master of Puppets and I really enjoyed watching them.

Ill Nino were also quite good, nothing special but interesting to watch. Gotta love the way they played Eye For An Eye.

Drowning Pool were also good, the pit was good enough (for one of these nu-metaly type bands). I only arrived half way through their set.

I won't comment on Lostprophets who were a joke.

The funniest part of the day was when our bus broke down beside The Blanchardstown centre. The lads on our bus were trying their best to get arrested (two people phoned the Gardai, or so we saw) but thankfully they didn't come and we went to the best gig in Irelands history. Ozzy you say? Ozzy who?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Ozzfest was ****e, apart from an average performance by Slayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

brilliant day,sad i didnt see otep but evrytin else was cool
    mushroom head wer gud i thought sept for that fat bloke
    in the back,very heavy which was nice
    lost prophets wer pretty incubus like
    therapy should write some more good songs they played
    a lovely set
    SOAD were v.good and tool expanded my mind i think 8)
    It was a set for hardcore fans methinks,only stinkfist
    to 'mosh' to lads sorry. It worked for me tho cuz i was bolloxed
    after jumpin around all day drunk for christs sakes

Originally posted by Kharn

Tool - sorry, but, rubbish. They should have just stuck the CD into the machine and synch it with the visuals - it was a very bad way to end an otherwise great day. Slayer and Tool should have swapped places and at least have let the day end on a high.

[/B]

This is begining to sound like an IMO war.....

For the millionth time....

Tool werethe best band there.....no ifs or buts

Tough :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 angelicdemon

i loved KITTIES performance they rock! slayer was brilliant ! a tad disapointed bout ozzy though to be honest

Still...you have to feel sorry for them...they were stuck in Stage 2...which IMO looked more like an aircraft hanger than a stage, had gamy acoustics and they were up against Tool....

Not exactly fair is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gink

I travelled from the north for the gig, and yeah I was getting strange looks all round for my accent. Pleasantly surprised by drowing pool who i had dismissed as ****e (i tend to do that). Basically I was just lying around on an inflatable chair waiting for someone decent to come on on either stage. Boring actually right up until therapy? came on and they were awsome, I was down at the front for that and they rocked. Slayer were alright but at least they got the crowd going.

System of a down blew me away! They were amazing man I thought it couldn't be bettered until Tool ****ing came out. They absolutely rocked the joint. I was just mesmerized and they didnt even play aenima, sober or parabola.... Anyone here who posted to say other wise should be taken out and shot. The best thing was all the slayer freaks (I mean the guys that came for slayer and then went home) were gone. Infact the place was empty so there was a great vibe at the front. i cannot believe after the thing eventually sold out that it was half empty when the news about ozzy spread around. And even then half the people left well before the end. Ozzy would have capped everything off brilliantly but overall well wroth the cash and the place woulda been jammed. :( no hundred reasons and I missed nearly all the second stage but anyway what can you do.

Anyone who didnt like tool...Go out and buy all their albums and dedicate a day listening to them, tool are the greatest band in the planet at the moment. Subject chicks to it it will get you laid for sure ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

Tool absolutely rocked the joint. I was just mesmerized and they didnt even play aenima, sober or parabola.... Anyone here who posted to say other wise should be taken out and shot.

i totally agree, but i think many people were too fookin knackered to stand and watch them (i know i was) after slayer and soad. we just sat down at the side and listened (but i got up for The Grudge, LOVE that song).pity my legs were hurtin so much.

brilliant day, shame about ozzy.

p.s. wristbands fooked it up to a large degree

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I don't doubt that Tool are a great band - I've heard plenty of their music and really like it, but they were not the band to finish the day. I was mad for jumpy music to keep the moshing going and Ozzy would have provided this. It's not Tool's fault really, but the organisers who didn't think of this.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

I don't know...I kinda liked the chilled out vibe at the end with Tool...

I would have been too knackered after SOAD and Slayer too mosh anymore than I did....

And the atmosphere that Tool created was so amazing....everyone just lost in the music and the visuals...

Amazing

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by deco
    I don't know...I kinda liked the chilled out vibe at the end with Tool...

I would have been too knackered after SOAD and Slayer too mosh anymore than I did....

And the atmosphere that Tool created was so amazing....everyone just lost in the music and the visuals...

Amazing
    Precisely. I was stoned at the time and I thought it was the exact type of music to be listening to in my state (you know staring at silly things). I was totally blown away by the music and the images on the screens just added that little bit extra to the gig.

And to all those who thought that Tool were boring... Why do you think Maynard Keenan thanked us all for staying to watch them play? Because he knows that their music is not the type of music that you normally thrash about the place to. Its there to help you chill out and enjoy the unbelieveable musicianship of the band. He also said that he hoped that their music would open up our minds to a wide range of very talented music out there. Obviously alot of people here are being ignorant and quite honestly I think they had their minds made up before the gig that Tool were going to be as you say "****e". I think you are wrong.

Well, personally I love Tool, I think they're fantastic, but what I said was I don't think they're as good outdoors.
    When I was standing around I heard lots of people saying 'what's this sh-te?' or words to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gink

Yeah there was a lot of ignorance around, Ozzy woulda capped it all off brilliantly and the whole day woulda been a lot better considering it sold out but only half the people turned up because of ozzy. But really to say Tool were anything less than amazing is just blind, or deaf perhaps.....

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Gink
    But really to say Tool were anything less than amazing is just blind, or deaf perhaps.....

A little from column from A....a little from column B...:D

Advertisement