Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quotes

Options
  • 24-05-2002 2:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I dont know if this has been done before but...
    what are some of your favorite quotes...since many of the board users use quotes as thier signatures...

Mine for today...

"advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't"

"it's easier to fight for principles than to live up to them"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

mine has to be:
    Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

'Power Corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.'

'Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.'

'It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.' - Einstein

'Reality is mearly an illusion - albeit a very persitant one.' -Einstein

'Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former' -Einstein

'Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.' -I think Von Braun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Quote : " beyond the table, theres the idea of the table"

Insult : " your woody allen ,without the jokes"

:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

"We're not retreating we're merely advancing in a different direction"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"The only hope of the hopeless is to have no hope" - Ovid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

All the best quotes come from www.yorema.com ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Mistakill

[Munch] This is Dustaz. He became impotent when he had an accident with a snooker cue and his anus. With the help of Claims Direct's team of dedicated experts, Dustaz received £100,000 in compensation. Where there's blame, there's a claim™

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

A letter is an unannounced visit, the postman the agent of rude surprises. One ought to reserve an hour a week for receiving letters and afterwards take a bath.

Christianity makes suffering contagious.

Existence really is an imperfect tense that never becomes a present.

Fanatics are picturesque, mankind would rather see gestures than listen to reasons.

For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication.

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.

Idleness is the parent of psychology.

In Heaven all the interesting people are missing.

Insanity in individuals is something rare -- but in groups, parties, nations, and epochs it is the rule.

Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

It is always consoling to think of suicide: in that way one gets through many a bad night.

It is obvious that all sense has gone out of modern marriage: which is, however, no objection to marriage but to modernity.
    Love is a state in which a man sees things most decidedly as they are not.

Many a man fails as an original thinker simply because his memory it too good.

Not by wrath does one kill, but by laughter.

One may sometimes tell a lie, but the grimace that accompanies it tells the truth.

One must learn to love oneself with a wholesome and healthy love, so that one can bear to be with oneself and need not roam.

The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy.

The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously.

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.

The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.

Two great European narcotics, alcohol and Christianity.

We have art in order not to die of the truth.

When one has not had a good father, one must create one.
    Woman was God's second mistake.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

"an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"

bomb

lol, good one bomb :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

thats a Ghandi quote

bomb

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I like mine - it describes the constant state of my life ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Where ever you are, there you are.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Life: A fatal, sexualy transmitted disease.

Don't Get married, find someone you dont like and buy them a house.

I think there are too many intolerant people on the earth and I have no tolerance for that.

If it moves, shoot it. If it doesnt, shoot it until it does.

Ivan

good ones!

here's a few more:

a long dispute means both parties are wrong

God is a comedian playing to an audiance too afraid to laugh.

I know of nothing more laughable than a doctor who does not die of old age.

In my life, I have prayed but one prayer: oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous. And God granted it.

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.

"now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."
    -on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounces satan.

--Voltaire

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

A bargin is ownly a bargin when both sides believe they are ripping the other person off.

A woman's guess is much more accurate than a man's certainty.

words are, ofcourse, the most powerful drug used by mankind.

--Kipling

Create and stir other people to create.

Forgive, O Lord, my little jokes on thee and I'll forgive thy great big joke on me.

--Frost

Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you.

Some books leave us free and some books make us free.

For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.

--R.W.Emerson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

If they ever try to trace any of those accounts, they're gonna end up chasing a figment of my imagination.
    That should be Bubbles Sig
    I have no idea to this day what those two Italian ladies were singing about. Truth is, I don't want to know. Some things are better left unsaid. I'd like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can't expressed in words, and it makes your heart ache because of it. I tell you, those voices soared higher and farther than anybody in a grey place dares to dream. It was as if some beautiful bird had flapped into our drab little cage and made these walls dissolve away, and for the briefest of moments, every last man in Shawshank felt free.
    way too long for a sig but a great quote
    Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget. Forget that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone. That there's a - there's a - there's something inside that's yours, that they can't touch.
    Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.
    These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them. That's institutionalized. They send you here for life, that's exactly what they take. The part that counts, anyways
    i read it, in a book. can you read, you ignorant fu(k?

Can you read?
    The colossal prick even managed to sound magnanimous
    I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. Still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.
    There's not a day goes by I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then then, a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try and talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullsh1t word. So you go on and stamp your form, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

• Advertisement

that was excellent C.
    I have quite a few of those on my list of fave. quotes as well.;)

Here are a few more:

Fame usually comes to those who are thinking about something else.

Man has will, but woman has her way.

The man who is always worrying whether or not his soul would be damned generally has a soul that isnt worth a damn.

--W.Holmes

A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband.

I quote others in order to better express myself.

--Montaigne

Absence-- the most common cure of love.

Proverbs are short sentences drawn from long experience.

--Cervantes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson,

All tragedies are finished by a death, all comedies by a marraige.

The cardinal is at his wit's end--it is true that he had not far to go.

--L.Byron

I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know.

I never admire another's fortune so much that i become dissatisfied with my own.

--T.Cicero

I never wonder to see men wicked, but I often wonder to see them not ashamed.

No wise man ever wished to be younger

--J.Swift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Some of my favorite Quotes and sayings so:

Its nice to be nice.

Half a loaf is better than none.

Theres no J in life.

Guide it in with the hand, drive it home with the arse.

Fail to Prepare, prepare to fail.

The only permanent thing about life is the impermanance of life.

I think therefore i am.

We'll put em under pressure.

One day i was walking along the street and i fell in a hole.
    I took a day for me to get out.

The next day i was walking along the same street and fell in the same hole.
    It took me an hour to get out.

The next day i was walking along the same street and i saw the hole and tried to walk around it, but i still fell in.
    I climbed out straight away.

THe next day i walked down a different street.

Roll with the punches.

those were good too :)

here's a few more of mine :

I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.

What does education often do? It makes a straight-cut ditch of a free meandering brook.

--H.D.Thoreau

A lifetime of happiness! ni man alive could bear it: it would be hell on earth.

Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life.

--G.B.Shaw

Hear my thoughts and fill your mind, experience my feelings and understand life, love and death

My eyes see further than the spoken word, they search the mind of the confused and define the soul

My thoughts are your unquestioned answers, I know not what you tell me, I feel what is unsaid and understand the meaning of the unspoken truth in your soul, through your eyes.

To see the worl through the eyes of those envied after, one has only to wake up and realize they envy after you

--Beat

copyright 1998

Advertisement