Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

should age matter in a relationship???

Options
  • 24-05-2002 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

age is but a number but does it matter????

should age matter in a relationship 39 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    53% 21 votes
    not sure
    46% 18 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭colinsky

Of course age matters in a relationship. If it didn't, all those priests wouldn't be getting into nearly the trouble they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

it must matter to some degree. i'm not sure what my feelings or taughts are on it.
    but if you look at some of the relationships that you see or hear about, it is usualy ok for a woman to go out with an older man but not ok for a man to go out with an older woman, there seems to be some sort of stigma attached....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It doens't matter, once you are talking about two adults, if one is less than, say, 18, and the other is much older, there would be problems.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

It depends on the age ranges...ofcourse as long as both parties consenting adults then they know what they are getting into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hm, I'm 17 and I'm in a relationship with a 24 year old, age does matter in some cases, but if you get on well enough with somone and you're happy then thats all that matters in my eyes :)

Luckily too my parents are the kind of people who don't judge others based on age (or anything else besides their personality) and while i get the odd "he's ancient" joke from my mum and the occassional tease from him mates or my own, it doesnt really matter, i'm happy :)

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I think it does, I'm nearly 22 and I wouldn't go out with a woman less than 18 years old and even at 18 she'd really have to be mature beyond her age. THe oldest I'd go for would be about 25/26 no older.

So imo someone within 4 years of your own age. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

IMO it only matters if:

1. the couple includes someone at the age of 18 or under - because they generally not sure what is going on. AT that age I think they should stick to their own age group.

2. or if there is a signifigant gap in the ages - like anything from 10 years and up. In that case the likelihood of a relationship working is slim IMO because of the gap there could be a hell of alot of disagreement on certain issues which could cause trouble.

But in general if there is only something like 5 or 6 years in the difference I don't see a problem as long as they get on well and have something between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bellum

It does matter, of course, but should not be your sole consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭fi

when you are young i think it matters alot more then when you are older.

when you get to 30 it doesnt matter if you date a 40 year old yet obviously a 20 year old wouldnt date a 10 year old. if you see where im getting to.

i always said i wouldnt date any man younger then me, but every bloke i ever dated was always younger, not by much but 2 or 3 years.

they say a man is mentally 2 years behind female in developenent of maturity, in some cases yes but some no, in some cases the younger man can be very sensible and mature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

Well, I'm 34 and my fiancee-to-be is 29, which I think is a nice age gap, because, we're both mature, sensible adults (at least sometimes- we LOVE to fool around and have fun as well:D !!!!) and we both know what we want, which is a good, solid base for a long-term marriage!!!! And besides all that, we LOVE each other to bits!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

Yes ofcourse it matters.....

Boy aged 28
    Girl aged 15

is that right i ask???

Ofcourse it isn't and ofcourse age matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i honestly don't think it matters too much.. but theres definitly a stigma related to it.. i've several female friends who are 15/16 and come out drinking with us regularly, and again several in their late twenties/early thirties.. (i'm 22 btw).. while they're all extremely attractive, i can't see myself ever having a proper relationship with any of them.. not at this stage, give it 5 years i might (with either the younger or older), but after a few drinks we all usually know where we stand with each other anyway, which saves a good bit of embarassment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Its sad,for example,a 20 year old marrying som1 in their 40s.As for some humpo mc rumpo between myself and an older but still attractive woman-game on!But i think that a serious relationship thing between ppl of huge agee ranges is jjst sad.Can you imagine everybody thinking your wife was your mother?Jesus Christ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by fi
    when you are young i think it matters alot more then when you are older.
    This reminds me of something that happened to me last month. I went for a pint with a former colleague and she confessed that she now prefers younger men, while back when she was 21 she tended to go for older men.

“So if you’d known me back when I was 21, I may have gone for you” she joked. “And if you were 21, I may even have been interested” was my reply ;)

Age is often used as a gauge of maturity, but it's an imperfect one – you’ll find a fair share of mature eighteen year olds as well as immature 40-year-old idiots. The same with physical appearances – some guys are bald by twenty and some women’s breasts still seem to defy gravity at 50 (without any surgery).

Frankly, it’s not unusual for young men to chance after older women either - they’re more... amenable. And as for the number of women out there with Electra complexes out there... :rolleyes:

Horses for courses. In my opinion, yes it matters, but so does everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Does age matter in a relationship? Hmm, depends on the people and the ages/maturity really. In general, the only age gap that would bother me is when one of the people involved is younger than 17/18 and the other is a lot older.

Personally, I'm 18 myself, and I wouldn't go out with anyone younger than say 17, although having said that if I did start going out with someone then found out she was 16 it probably wouldn't bother me too much, definately wouldn't go any younger than that though.

As for older women, well, her being a lot older wouldn't bother me at all. Especially if it was just a short fling, it might cause problems in a long term relationship. Also, being so young myself I could be going with someone 7 years older (25) and that's still not even remotely "old" imo. It's all academic though as I get the feeling older women would be more inclined to mother me than have sex with me :).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Originally posted by Mills

As for older women, well, her being a lot older wouldn't bother me at all. Especially if it was just a short fling, it might cause problems in a long term relationship. Also, being so young myself I could be going with someone 7 years older (25) and that's still not even remotely "old" imo. It's all academic though as I get the feeling older women would be more inclined to mother me than have sex with me :).

...I would NOT be more inclined to mother you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

So hang on, what was that whole thing with dressing him up and putting a dummy in his mouth all about then? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels

...I would NOT be more inclined to mother you...

ahahahahaha, youre soooo old!

on the other hand, i wouldnt go out with someome as young as you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan

ahahahahaha, youre soooo old!

on the other hand, i wouldnt go out with someome as young as you

I never asked you to you rickety old bastard. You wouldn't be able to keep up with me anyway. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What do you mean by 'matter'?

Disregarding paedophillia (neat little phrase that says so much :) )I don't think age should be a barrier to people entering into a relationship. If they like each other what should age matter?

I do think that a big age gap would probably cause problems in a relationship. I think it would be impossible for two people to share their lives completly with a huge gap in experience - they'd constanly be on different levels.

Personnaly I always find women my own age (22) immature and always tend to go after slightly older women (25-27) who are never interested in me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'm going out with a girl 7 years older than me. The start of our relationship was rocky, due to parent intervention etc.. But we genuinely liked each other and got on really well. So we stuck out the crap and it went away. The age aspect never enters my mind now.

It's great. I get a hot sexy chick out of it and a best friend ! Ain't love the biz !

Gav

Advertisement